Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna
Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna Reviews: 87 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $ 324.95
Description: No tuner, multi-band, off-center fed(OCF), 135 ft. dipole with 6:1 voltage balun

You can write your own review of the Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna.

KC5RR Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2017 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Nice while it lasted.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Warranty is 12 months. The balun went kaput at 14 months. I cannot recommend this antenna. I ended up using it mainly for 80 meters, so I'll just build my own 80 meter with a 1:1 balun and 262 feet of wire (I have a lot of room).
KW4CQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2017 04:40 Send this review to a friend
Best wire antenna for DXing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked and confirmed 307 DXCC countries with the OCFD at 60 feet. What more can I say? Best all round wire antenna going.
N9AOP Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2017 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Works like it should  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this OCF antenna up for several years. It works like it did when new but I don't try to shove 3KW into it either. Where problems arise is when someone uses a stiff manual tuner and then runs the antenna on 15 or 30 using a KW+.
KC5RR Rating: 2/5 Dec 12, 2017 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Worked when it worked  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked for around 18 months, now the balun is shot.
AB9UU Rating: 2/5 Aug 21, 2017 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Broke  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had one up for several months. It worked a little better than my old G5RV as it easily tuned up 80 meters whereas the G5RV did not. However, it broke. The G5RV I had from Ebay was up for at least five years, in the worst weather off Lake Michigan. The OCF broke in a few months. The end of the wire pulled right through the crimping. Better construction is needed.
K1PGV Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2015 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Very Solid, Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review is based on 10 years (really) of use of the 3KW, 7-Band version.

Short Version: Beautifully built, satisfying to use. I love it.

Long Version:

I have this antenna mounted in some trees, about 50 feet above ground.

This is the first antenna I purchased when I got my license and I've been using it ever since (and I just renewed my license for the first time... so it's been 10 years).

Now, to be clear, I haven't had the exact same antenna in the air for 10 years. Every few years, as a "preventive maintenance" measure, I lower my Buckmaster OCF dipole and replace it, the supporting ropes, and the feedline. There's never been anything WRONG with the antenna when I've done this... but my 200' of (partially buried) feed line and the 3/8" dacron support rope take a beating. I figure while I have everything down, I might as well invest in replacing the antenna.

This antenna just works. I got DXCC with it (with no more than 200W). It's a dipole, it's not a beam, so my expectations are in line with that fact.

But I *definitely* would recommend this antenna for anyone considering a horizontal wire antenna system.
N5UMJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2015 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tried 3 of these antennas with the same results. One day I decided to give it one last shot.#4. With the use of a messenger line the center at 15 feet away from my tower, Wow! It works great. I strongly recommend to seperate this antenna as much as possible from any metal. Overall, I highly recommend it. Durable quality workmanship.
KB3ZIM Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2015 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Fantastic/Amazing/Highly Recommended  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While planning my HF station installation, I searched for an antenna that would meet a number of criteria, including cost, space requirements, and most importantly, the ability to work as many HF bands as possible with just one antenna. I settled on an OCF wire antenna, and this Buckmaster 7-band radiator certainly fit the bill. I currently have it installed in the manufacturer's-recommended inverted vee configuration with the balun at approximately 45-feet high with the end of each leg approximately 10-12 feet high. While Buckmaster claims that this is a "no tuner required" antenna, I still tweak it with the internal tuner in my Icom IC-7600 transceiver that can tune loads up to 3:1, and it easily accommodates a tune-up within fractions of a second on all bands for which the antenna is designed.

Within the first four months of operating on HF bands, I've easily logged 90 countries so far, using just 100 watts through 250 feet of top-quality coax, which certainly accounts for a good bit of loss before the signal reaches the antenna. Still, this antenna has been an amazing performer. Of course, no antenna can ever be perfect, but given the compromises for my particular installation, I could not be happier.

Not only does this antenna just plain WORK as far as RF radiating and receiving is concerned, but the physical build quality could not be better. I can't imagine how this antenna could possibly be constructed more soundly. The 3KW balun is the heftiest thing of it's kind I've ever seen. The materials and workmanship are so robust that I think I could tie each end of it to the trailer hitch on my truck to pull tree stumps out of the ground...LOL! Just joking, of course...but not by much. Other reviewers have said that it's "built like a tank." Believe it.

If I had the space, I probably would have purchased the longer 8-band version to add 160 meter capability (and I still may upgrade to that and find a way to make it fit within my available space). These antennas are not inexpensive, but I doubt anyone could homebrew an equivalent antenna. Even if you could obtain the same components and assemble them the way Buckmaster has, I sincerely doubt it would be worth your time and effort...time you could be spending on the air, making contacts.

I'm a relatively new ham on the HF bands and have no interest in or connection with the manufacturer of this antenna. I'm just a totally satisfied user and could not recommend these Buckmaster OCF antennas more highly. People are usually more inclined to disparage a product than praise it, so when credit is deserved, I believe in giving it, and I'm giving plenty to the Buckmaster 7-band 3KW OCF antenna!
KV4TZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Great multi-band antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted an all-band antenna for my ham shack and the Buckmaster delivers. I've had this for over a year and can't complain about the performance. I have the 80-6 meters version and it does very well on 80, 40, 20, 17, 12 and 10 (SWR less than 2:1) and works on 15 and 6 with a tuner. Very well built. Follow the directions and it will work wonders.
W8KMA Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Super Performer!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna up for 5 years and no problems at all. Just a super nice set up. You probably need a isolator somewhere for RF on ocassion. Plays on a lot without a tuner and all but 15 meters with. I would like to try the 160 meter version someday....I talk to Europe everday with 100 watts!!! You can too!!!