Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna
Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $ 324.95
Description: No tuner, multi-band, off-center fed(OCF), 135 ft. dipole with 6:1 voltage balun
More info: http://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html

You can write your own review of the Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna.

AK4QR Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2012 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great performer! I do not use a tuner. I've had it installed at 23ft and now at 35ft. With SWR very low on all band except 15 is close to 2. I've talked all over the world with it. Using up to 1kw when needed. Only small issue is it's a little noisier than my Mosley 33 but I think that's just the nature of wire antennas. Or could be that it's minted on a mast attached to the house and the beam is 250ft away from everything

Being a new ham I have nothing to compare it to being better than other wire antennas but it does what I expect with no tuner!

73's

W7CSD Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2012 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Fills the bill, couldn't ask for anything more...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a wire antenna for my station that would cover most of the HF bands without much tuning. I decided upon the Buckmaster OCF antenna for a couple of reason: First, I didn't like the shedding skin on the Alpha Delta antennas and I wanted something that didn't stand out in the yard. The Buckmaster did both. I am impressed with the construction and also with the performance so far.

Something I struggled with; how do I construct a nonmetallic standoff to keep the auto-transformer away from the tower? My solution was to get a fiberglass axe handle from the local home improvement store, paint it to something that didn't stand out and use a couple of "U" bolts to secure it to the tower. It's strong enough, works good and didn't cost much.

If I had to go out today and buy another antenna, I would definitely buy another Buckmaster OCF 7-Band antenna.

W6FG Rating: 3/5 Dec 20, 2011 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Works for a while...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the KW model for a couple years now and at first I really liked it. But when the vswr went sky high on a couple of bands, I contacted Buckmaster. They told me to send mine back and they would give me a discount on a new one. Well, even with the discount it wasn't all that cheap! So I put the second one up. Now lately, I can't apply more than about 10 watts on 40M before my K3/Astron 35M shuts down; similar to my first experience with this wire.

It does seem to be well made. I guess because I used it on 30M and it's not advertised to work on that band, it's my fault that the balun burned out. I thought that something that looks that heavy duty could stand 100W CW on a non-resonant band. So, I'll not be buying #3 form Buckmaster! I'll be looking for another 'all band' type of wire to throw up. Maybe a G5RV or one of the other makes of OCF wires. If you use it ONLY on the bands it is cut for you might be OK, but I've given it two chances and that's enough for me.

KN2M Rating: 2/5 Nov 28, 2011 04:05 Send this review to a friend
A lamebrane packaged this antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"Needs help" is a great description. I am pretty organized person and have been putting up antennas for 50 years now. I scouted out my property in August for installation. I had pull ropes up already in the selected tree. Everything was ready to go except the weather. It is now November, cold and wet. At least the leaves are off the trees and I can use my Chief AJ slingshot to put up the ends. I laid the antenna under the pull rope, attached the RG8X and quickly uncoiled the short end to measure the distance to my anchor point. All OK. I knew the long end did not need a measurement to the anchor so I started to pull the antenna up. Much to my horror, I noticed the long end was wound with a locking turn of wire just off the center insulator and it was impossible to uncoil it like the short end. The whole antenna had to be pulled through the locking loop of wire. There was no other way. This took me at least 20 minutes in the cold and rain. I was really frustrated due to the lack of attention to detail in the manufacture of this product. Once up, I noted that I was able to work some DX barefoot. My first QSO was a VP2M from New York on 80m CW. Not bad. In comparison to my other antenna, a SteppIR vertical, most stations are louder and stronger (40m) on the vertical which is about 30 feet away. Haven't used it on the higher bands too much for comparison. I listened to stations on 80 CW and the OCF is about 3 or 4 S-units stronger, which makes sense because the vertical does not have the 80m coil. The center of the OCF is about as high as the SteppIR is tall and the ends are about 10' just as the yellow diagram paper suggests. The VSWR matching seems to be fine on the bands too. So, no complaints about the performance.

K4RMH Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2011 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna mounted approximately 30 feet in the air in an inverted vee as suggested. SWR accrosss the bands is pretty much like advertised. DX calls made into Eurpoe, SA, etc. are clear and contact on the first call is almost guaranteed using only 100 watts..!

KK5GG Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2011 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Works Great Heavy Duty  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Works great and heavy duty. Great for higher wind locations when mounted in trees. I feed that baby w/250 ft of Terrawave 600DB coax and it handles 1500 PEP with no problem. It is 135' so it takes a little real estate to install it properly.

WA6VIU Rating: 2/5 Jun 14, 2011 07:59 Send this review to a friend
returned it and got my money back  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna after reading all the reviews. I mounted it per the detailed instructions that came with the antenna (more than advertised). Of the 7 bands only 40, 20, 17,12 would have an swr below 4.0. All others nearly pegged my needle on the MFJ antenna analyzer. Tried 3 different lengths of new coax on the antenna. Moved the legs.
If you are looking to switch bands without an antenna tuner this is not the antenna for you. Went back to my 2 G5Rv antennas and tuner. Cost way less and not as picky as to where you mount them. This product just costs too much for what you get. But if you have lots of cash and still want to use a tuner then buy one. It may work?

K4AJL Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2011 11:23 Send this review to a friend
very satisfied  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
could'nt be more satisfied. well made and covers all of 75/80 meters super bandwith.

K7TXO Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2011 15:59 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I needed to stop making DX contacts today to tell you this:

My wife knew i was interested in the BUCKMASTER OCF antennas a few years ago. She bought one for me for Christmas. I have the balun 31 feet up, using a pine tree as the mast. Both ends are 8 feet up in the air. Although this is installed in a fairly densely forested spot, it works absolutely great. DX contacts are a slam dunk especially on 17 meters. Exciter is a KENWOOD TS-2000X with HEIL Classic 4 mic, into a two month old, home-brew, single 813 tube linear amp producing on average, about 300 watts out through about 130 feet of LMR400 cable. I experience lower noise on the higher bands than my other home-brew dipole or my multi-band vertical.

Tuner is not required on the HF bands but I do use my WANZER Z Match manual tuner on 6 meters.

Many thanks to BUCKMASTER for a solid performing, built like a tank balun and all weather, heavy duty wire elements.

With only 300 watts, just I have worked Italy, Switzerland, Poland, Germany, Alaska, England, Cuba and on and on in the last couple of weeks, some of these countries multiple times. A turkey shoot with this antenna!

Gene Story / K7TXO

AB4KJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2011 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased two of these antennas-one for 160 and one for 80. They were easy to set up. I have mine hung between two trees with a push up pole at the feedpoints. No issues thus far with the antennas. The rain and ice we get here in the midwest have not been a problem. The baluns seem to be sturdy and robust.