Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna
Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna Reviews: 79 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $ 324.95
Description: No tuner, multi-band, off-center fed(OCF), 135 ft. dipole with 6:1 voltage balun
More info: http://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html

You can write your own review of the Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna.

AB4KJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2011 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased two of these antennas-one for 160 and one for 80. They were easy to set up. I have mine hung between two trees with a push up pole at the feedpoints. No issues thus far with the antennas. The rain and ice we get here in the midwest have not been a problem. The baluns seem to be sturdy and robust.

W2QQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2010 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performance - Modest Price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the Buckmaster 7-band OCF (high power model) antenna in use since April and would summarize my experience as "solid performance for a very modest price".

The early Spring windstorms in CT took out both of my prior antennas - a Barker & Williamson BWD-90, which is a multi-band folded dipole, and a 5-Band Hex-Beam. (The Hex-Beam will shortly be back in use.) My neighborhood has anti-antenna covenants, so stealth is a consideration in choosing appropriate antennas. I had started with the folded dipole and added the Hex-Beam to get some directional gain and F/B signal separation on 20M and higher. In contrast to the bright stainless of the B&W dipole, the Buckmaster is made with black PVC-coated wire and is virtually invisible in the wooded area of my property.

In looking for a replacement for the BWD-90, I took into consideration my growing dissatisfaction with that antenna on the lower bands (as expected, the Hex-Beam consistently outperformed it on 20M and up). Came across the Buckmaster 7-band OCF Dipole with a free shipping offer and figured "what have I got to lose?" Wow, have I been happy I made that decision.

This antenna is 135' long (only 45' longer than the B&W which it replaced, but what a difference that extra length makes!) and is hung in something like the recommended configuration (an inverted V), with the ends at about NE and SW positions. During the current contest season, it has been a solid performer on all HF bands. I have been able to work all of Europe, Africa, South America, and West Coast and everywhere in between without any problems. In the recent CQWW CW test, for example, I worked ZL8 (Kermadec), ZD8 (Ascension Island) and other highly sought stations through massive pileups without being at the end of the line. On 40M and 80M, I am often able to work stations on a single call, which is much more fun than what I experienced with the folded dipole, where often I could hear stations but not work them. During this contest season, I have so far added more than a dozen new countries on 80M and am finally looking forward to the possibility of DXCC on that band.

Although marketed for 75/80M and above, I decided to see how it would perform on 160M (not recommended by the manufacturer) in the ARRL 160 contest. It tuned up fine with just the onboard tuner on my FT-1000MP. In less than 5 hours of strictly S&P, I was able to work more than 100 stations for more than 40 sections and DX as far as Bosnia-Herzegovina (E77DX must have some fantastic 160M antenna!).

Buckmaster advertising says that the antenna can be used without a tuner. I have always used a tuner with it, so I cannot comment on the 2:1 bandwidth claims. I have never had any problem tuning to 2:1 or less (usually between 1:1 and 1.5:1) on any of the bands on which I've used it. The high power version is rated at 3000W and I can verify that it will take a full kilowatt and more without any problems. However, as a matter of caution, I did not use my amplifier on 160M since the antenna is not designed for the band.

While I may wish that I had a 150' tower with stacked Yagis and a rotatable 80M dipole, I am very happy with what I have in the 7-band OCF from Buckmaster. I would recommend this antenna to anyone who is looking for solid performance in a wire antenna and a very modest price.

W2FBS Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2010 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Wire Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this up over a year ago at about 45 feet in an inverted V formation. It has great SWR on 75, 40 and 20 meters and gets out like crazy. Have worked a ton of 40 meter DX with it as well as a lot of time on several 75 meter nets where I have one of the biggest signals.

I also have a resonant beam antenna for the higher bands so my expensive tuner is hardly ever used. I use an amplifier and normally put out about 1 KW and no problems with the balun like I had with the Carolina Windom.

This replaced a Carolina Windom that failed after 2 years. There is no comparison! Better build quality, better wire, better balun and better results too!

W7RUE Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2010 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Base Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for over a year now. I just pulled it down to do maintenance on the coax, the support system, and raise it up another ten feet. This antenna beats out all of my other HF antennas hands down! (I have 4 other HF wire and 3 HF verticals). I am always asked to relay on the traffic nets that I regularly use because I can hear stations and reach stations others cannot. It has been one of my best buys in amateur radio and the Buckmaster is my mainstay antenna for most of my HF ham activities at the home station! - W7RUE

N5ATM Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2010 00:11 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this antenna up for close to a year now and it has worked great. I also have a Butternut HF9V vertical with 30 radials and this antenna outperforms it 95% of the time, at least on receive. I normally get 2 S-units more on receive and it is quieter as well.

My SWR is a little higher on 40m than advertised but that is probably due to the long leg being too close to the ground. I would highly recommend this antenna.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2010 14:52 Send this review to a friend
SUPER  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the 6-Band 65-foot version OCF (didn't have the room for the 135-ft version)...Use on 40, 20, 10 and 6; it even works on 15, with acceptable SWR readings, I not use a tuner...Have center & ends at 30-feet...Even used it on Field Day this year

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2010 13:52 Send this review to a friend
SUPER  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the 6-Band 68-foot model OCF Dipole (didn't have the room available for the 135-foot model).
Use it on 40, 20, 10 & 6-meter (it even loads on 15) with NO tuner. Had acceptable SWR readings on these bands. Ran it on 2010 Field Day, works great.
I give it a 5++++

W1DVZ Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2010 12:23 Send this review to a friend
A Great Solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 7-band 300W version, using it with a Kenwood TS-50 at 100W, and feeding it with LMR-400 through a basic LDG tuner. (Even though it's billed as a "no tuner" antenna, I think it's a good idea to spend a Ben Franklin and get a basic one, particularly with a solid-state radio.)

Installation is not optimal, meaning it's not at the altitude nor exact inverted V dimensions that the book calls for. Regardless, it works very, very well.

Built from very high quality multi-stranded wire in a tough coating. Could double as a tow rope with no problem. One tip that you might want to consider: add a half-dozen toroidal coils over your coax just past the balun. I use the ones available from the "Hex Beam" guy, Traffie Technology; they fit perfect. Keeps the RF pushed out on the antenna where it belongs.

Remember this: "Cheap is Expensive." Buy quality, it pays.

KC2GUY Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2010 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Let The Truth Be Told, WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i just hung my buckmaster antenna per directions...It is, in a word, ASTOUNDING !

after owning many wire antennas, a Cobra, G5RV, Carolina Windom, and an 80 meter dipole, THIS IS THE ONE !

All my SWR readings are just a bit better than what is published on the Buckmaster antenna web site.

75/80, 40m, 20m, 17m 12m, and 10m all measure
1.5/1 SWR across the entire band !

my feedline is about 140 feet (LMR 400), i have about 35 feet of extra feedline that i put in a coil of about 10 inches. I also placed a choke balun at the bottom of the antenna mast of 32 ft.

It receives magnificently, infact the noise is mostly gone...like getting a new receiver. Transmit reports are all great.

I have put 1000 watts thru all bands with abosolutely NO RFI. NON, nada.

also, i can tune 160 with my tuner. I keep it to
100 watts there, as to not damage the balun.

thank you for a U.S. made, product that is built like a battleship, and plays like a
stradivarius violin .

I dont know what to do with my tuner now ;-))

If you are thinking of a wire antenna, this is as close to the holy grail as you can get.

K5DHE Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2010 23:29 Send this review to a friend
perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
my antenna is 35ft off the ground. it works as advertised... max. swr is 1.2 also its flat on some bands... no tuner necessary... this antenna is heavy and very well built... the co. support is good.. i expect this to be my last store bought wire antenna.. its expensive but worth it... mine is 135ft long and the 3kw model...i also have a nice g5rv but this works better in receive. i also have a bux com 80 through 10. its nice and affordable but the co. owner is a condesending ass. his web site is very informative.

k5dhe