Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-950SDX Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-950SDX
Kenwood TS-950SDX Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4599.95
Description: Rough Diamond
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-950SDX.

K8CPA Rating: 1/5 Feb 11, 2010 02:00 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig, but when they get older, they get issues!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a couple of minutes to kill here and I thought I would share with you my personal nightmare. It is my Kenwood TS-950SDX.

I got it from a friend of mine's estate; his call was N8OPK. Not in the callbook anymore, He passed away at age 43. Died back in 1996. Massive heart attack, his aunt sold me the radio. They originally went over $4000 new. I got this one for $1500, which at the time, back in 2000, was a steal.

To be fair to Kenwood, I got 5 good years out of this radio. Which is pretty darned good considering the radio was basically transmitting through what some would call a Dummy Load with wires on it. It was a Van Gordon Engineering Shorty All bander Dipole. To be blunt, the antenna was a piece of crap. But it was a CHEAP piece of crap and I bought it and a 4:1 Balun and I was the king the world! Or so I thought so...

Speed Ahead 5 or so years. I operate, or used to operate alot of 75 meters. To me, 75 meters was the refuge away from the tin foil hat wearing 2 meter geeks with their 5 milliwatt H.T's and them wondering why they cannot hit every repeater in Detroit. Anyhow, one day the Kenwood started doing something odd; the RX would cut out, SWR pegged, I thought it was the antenna. I believe now, it might have been a combo of the rig AND the tuner. (I have a MFJ 989C, that just got "gone though" by a friend of mine...)

Anyhow, I consult with the "Experts" and they tell me, it's a pot in the TXCO Unit. and so, I get that replaced and Naturally, I still got issues. I THINK I've got it nailed down to the Resister Packs in the PLL unit. What the problem is, they tell me, is that the Kenwood had an issue with these radio, some idiot in Japan at Kenwood did not turn up the soldiering ovens high enough and the stupid soldier on the boards didn't get a good flow and that's causing all kinds of problems for this radios. They finally fixed it in like the last 1000 rigs out the door. But all the rest have the issue.

To give credit where it is due; my good friend, Matt AC8AC worked on this thing and He and I tried to get it going. I still make take it back down to his place and leave it and see if he can work the kinks out. Maybe reflow all those stupid traces. I can't do it, my eyesight is shot, and my hand ain't that steady, plus, I just don't own the good equipment. :(

How's this for a heart breaking story. I get a new homebrew antenna up, got my tuner gone though, and operate for all of about 6 hours and the rig goes kaput on me. I mean, I was ready to farking cry. :(

So, take it from someone who's been there and done that. AVOID the 950SDX! Because it just ain't worth trouble. Some like the rig. But, I know for a fact, that as they get older, they develop issues.

What compounds the problem, I am unemployed, have been since 2005. So, I'm stuck with the Broke rig, and new antenna and zero funds to fix it. What really stinks is this; I could have SOLD this rig back around 2003, and made enough to buy a decent rig. Now, I'd be lucky to get 850 for the rig and that would be with all the original stuff that comes with the rig, and the box, none of which I have! :( So, I'm stuck with a junk rig, that I cannot afford to fix and when I do sell it, I'll be lucky if I make anything on it.

-Chuck K8CPA
Lincoln Park, Michigan

WS4B Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2009 12:42 Send this review to a friend
The best radio ever made....Period!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is when Kenwood made great HF radios. Sorry TS-2000 owners, but one cannot compare a 950SDX with a TS-2000. They don't even belong in the same room.

I have owned this rig for almost a year now, and I can tell you that this is the best HF rig ever made, period! That's including the new high end stuff that it out by Icom, Yaesu, Flex, Elecraft, Ten-Tec, etc. If you wish to have great TX and recieve abilites, this radio is first rate. I get glowing audio reports from this XCVR and after RX/TX modifications by WZ5Q, the radio has gone from great to awesome!

If you can find one of these babies, buy it! The person that is selling it may be crazy for doing so, but thats his/her problem. I will never sell this radio. NEVER!!!

Pics or a desire to have a Sked with me to hear this radio is available by e-mailing me at bmessick@tampabay.rr.com.

73 de W4BJM
Brad

W9XX Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2009 16:18 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok.The best in my eyes and ears.I bought it used about 7 years ago.I have had no problems.Now I cant compare it to alot of radios because I only had the 450 before 950sdx.I hear alot more dx on the low bands with this radio.I have same antennas up yet.I do have a hearing problem and the 950 seems to help in the changing of the tone on CW when they are lite.Now this review is not from a expert.But from one that likes to work and listen to alot of DX.I would like to try the FT 2000d but am afraid it might not live up to the 950.
The only down fall is parts as the radio gets older.

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2009 16:56 Send this review to a friend
An review after 9 years of use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give it a 5, because quite frankly, I have zero right to complain.

I bought this rig from an estate sale of a ham, who became a silent key in 1997. I hate to admit it, but, he was using on CB. Yeah, 4K for a radio, and he was using it on the CB band. Amazing isn't it!?!

Anyhow, I got it, no original boxes, manuals or anything. Just the radio, and filters and such.

I took possession of the radio in 2000. I ran a Van Gordon short all bander dipole at 40 feet. For 5 solid years, I got nothing but excellent service from this rig.

In 2005, the rig developed the infamous TCXO board pot issue. I tried to fix it. Oh, I fixed it alright, busted the pot a good one! D'oh!

I finally put up a better antenna. I will be ordering said pot from Miles at AES next week, and a friend of mine and I are going to replace said pot.

I may keep it, and then again, I might just put it up for sale. She's getting older, and I just don't have the money to keep putting into her. I'd like to sell it, but I'd have to get enough for a ICOM 756 Pro 3. But she's quite old, I don't know if anyone would give me, what *I* think it is worth.

In short, If you can find a late serial number version, like I have. Get it. I'm the second owner of this rig, and I love it. It would be a heart wrenching experience to sell this rig. Once you've had the best, it's hard to go down.

Some of you will understand.

73 de K8CPA

-Chuck

EA4AZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2009 06:20 Send this review to a friend
the best kenwood  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say???
16 years and works like the first day. The best kenwood ever made.
One of the best receivers and the tx is the best of the best.

NA1A Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2008 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best at the very top  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll make this one short and to the point... The TS-950SDX is the absolute best transceiver even to now a days fancy DSP high-tech transceivers. It is right up there with the high-end current models.
I've had the FTDX-9000D, FT-2000/D, the Ten-Tec Orion II, Omni VII, the IC-756 PROIII, the Flex Radio, just to name a few... I can comfortably say that the TS-950SDX is by far the best. From receiver performance, sensitivity, selectivity, to ease of operation (no fussing with complicate menu set-ups) and best of all, its natural sound (both RX and TX).

N9LBW Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2008 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TS-950SDX has great sounding transmit and receive audio. It is a very quiet receiver and also has great selectivity and sensitivity. This is my second TS-950. I had a TS-950S and sold it 13 years ago. The TS-950SDX is definately a cut above the TS-950S, which at the time I thought was a great radio. This radio is equal to or better than radios with original costs of up to three times more.

M0SAY Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2008 10:19 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THIS IS THE BEST RADIO I HAVE EVER HAD AND I HAVE HAD A FEW YOU NAME IT I HAVE HAD IT, THE RADIO IS GREAT THE ATU IS VERY GOOD NEVER FAILS TO TUNE AND THE RECEIVER IS THE BEST IF YOU EVER GET THE CHANCE TO GET ONE GET IT YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT,I JUST WISH KENWOOD WOULD MAKE THE 960 I WOULD BUY TO DAY, STILL AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN THE BIG 6K PLUSS RADIOS.

EI2HW Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2008 15:26 Send this review to a friend
superb!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent selectivity and sensitivity.
Audio on both TX and RX is excellent.
Noise blanker kills my local transformer noise better than my previous rigs, Pro, Field.
Low noise floor and is excellent at hearing those weak signals.
On CW with the addition of the AF VBT function makes working CW for long periods a pleasure with no DSP whistle.
I cannot say wheither it is anywhere in the same league as the current big guns, BUT I know they are not $5k-$6k better, spend the difference on a good antenna system, if you find one on the second hand market and have considered trying one snap it up you will not be dissapointed.

WP4SK Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2008 20:02 Send this review to a friend