Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-950SDX Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-950SDX
Kenwood TS-950SDX Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4599.95
Description: Rough Diamond
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-950SDX.

AA9RN Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2009 16:18 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok.The best in my eyes and ears.I bought it used about 7 years ago.I have had no problems.Now I cant compare it to alot of radios because I only had the 450 before 950sdx.I hear alot more dx on the low bands with this radio.I have same antennas up yet.I do have a hearing problem and the 950 seems to help in the changing of the tone on CW when they are lite.Now this review is not from a expert.But from one that likes to work and listen to alot of DX.I would like to try the FT 2000d but am afraid it might not live up to the 950.
The only down fall is parts as the radio gets older.

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2009 16:56 Send this review to a friend
An review after 9 years of use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give it a 5, because quite frankly, I have zero right to complain.

I bought this rig from an estate sale of a ham, who became a silent key in 1997. I hate to admit it, but, he was using on CB. Yeah, 4K for a radio, and he was using it on the CB band. Amazing isn't it!?!

Anyhow, I got it, no original boxes, manuals or anything. Just the radio, and filters and such.

I took possession of the radio in 2000. I ran a Van Gordon short all bander dipole at 40 feet. For 5 solid years, I got nothing but excellent service from this rig.

In 2005, the rig developed the infamous TCXO board pot issue. I tried to fix it. Oh, I fixed it alright, busted the pot a good one! D'oh!

I finally put up a better antenna. I will be ordering said pot from Miles at AES next week, and a friend of mine and I are going to replace said pot.

I may keep it, and then again, I might just put it up for sale. She's getting older, and I just don't have the money to keep putting into her. I'd like to sell it, but I'd have to get enough for a ICOM 756 Pro 3. But she's quite old, I don't know if anyone would give me, what *I* think it is worth.

In short, If you can find a late serial number version, like I have. Get it. I'm the second owner of this rig, and I love it. It would be a heart wrenching experience to sell this rig. Once you've had the best, it's hard to go down.

Some of you will understand.

73 de K8CPA

-Chuck

EA4AZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2009 06:20 Send this review to a friend
the best kenwood  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say???
16 years and works like the first day. The best kenwood ever made.
One of the best receivers and the tx is the best of the best.

NA1A Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2008 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best at the very top  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll make this one short and to the point... The TS-950SDX is the absolute best transceiver even to now a days fancy DSP high-tech transceivers. It is right up there with the high-end current models.
I've had the FTDX-9000D, FT-2000/D, the Ten-Tec Orion II, Omni VII, the IC-756 PROIII, the Flex Radio, just to name a few... I can comfortably say that the TS-950SDX is by far the best. From receiver performance, sensitivity, selectivity, to ease of operation (no fussing with complicate menu set-ups) and best of all, its natural sound (both RX and TX).

N9LBW Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2008 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TS-950SDX has great sounding transmit and receive audio. It is a very quiet receiver and also has great selectivity and sensitivity. This is my second TS-950. I had a TS-950S and sold it 13 years ago. The TS-950SDX is definately a cut above the TS-950S, which at the time I thought was a great radio. This radio is equal to or better than radios with original costs of up to three times more.

M0SAY Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2008 10:19 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THIS IS THE BEST RADIO I HAVE EVER HAD AND I HAVE HAD A FEW YOU NAME IT I HAVE HAD IT, THE RADIO IS GREAT THE ATU IS VERY GOOD NEVER FAILS TO TUNE AND THE RECEIVER IS THE BEST IF YOU EVER GET THE CHANCE TO GET ONE GET IT YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT,I JUST WISH KENWOOD WOULD MAKE THE 960 I WOULD BUY TO DAY, STILL AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN THE BIG 6K PLUSS RADIOS.

EI2HW Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2008 15:26 Send this review to a friend
superb!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent selectivity and sensitivity.
Audio on both TX and RX is excellent.
Noise blanker kills my local transformer noise better than my previous rigs, Pro, Field.
Low noise floor and is excellent at hearing those weak signals.
On CW with the addition of the AF VBT function makes working CW for long periods a pleasure with no DSP whistle.
I cannot say wheither it is anywhere in the same league as the current big guns, BUT I know they are not $5k-$6k better, spend the difference on a good antenna system, if you find one on the second hand market and have considered trying one snap it up you will not be dissapointed.

WP4SK Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2008 20:02 Send this review to a friend
One of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great TX/RX Audio

W1TJL Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2007 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Best Ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my TS-950SDX for about 10 years and it is WONDERFUL! Best radio I have ever used on SSB. I recently purchased an new Yaesu FT-2000 and side by side the SSB is noticeably better. On CW I'd give the FT-2000 a slight edge.

My TS-950SDX has the Inrad Roofing filter kit installed and all the filter slots are loaded with filters. I use it to contest and DX and occasionally ragchew. The transmitter gets numerous excellent audio compliments and I'm told is very loud and punchy when used with the Heil HC-4 element n my headset.

I would absolutely recommend the 950SDX to anyone looking for a main radio for the shack. The only downside if there is one is the fact that the 950SDX still commands a premium price after all these years. Though fairly numerous you can get a new FT-2000 for about the same money. It has held it's value and most likely will for years to come. Not that it matters to me because I'd NEVER give this one up!

73, Tom W1TJL

EX_AA5JG Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2007 21:51 Send this review to a friend
I agree, the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with the previous review that this is one of the best radios out there. Excellent receiver, the best noise blanker I have seen, excellent sounding audio, nice layout of features, and it does dual receive. This is a big radio, but if you have the room for it, you can't go wrong.