Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-950SDX Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-950SDX
Kenwood TS-950SDX Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4599.95
Description: Rough Diamond
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-950SDX.

KD9MF Rating: 3/5 Aug 17, 2004 13:04 Send this review to a friend
ok radio, but NOT the best.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
well, to start off, the noise blanker is useless.
the audio from the 940sat is much better. 150 watts out or so, closer to 125. the rx on my 1000d is better, plus i can use the rx on another band which you cant do with the 950sdx. this is said with my having the above radios actully in my possesion at the same time. the rx sensitivity is right up there, i never had a problem with it hearing the weakest signal. transmit audio is great, typical kenwood style. sold mine to a ham in italy.
kd9mf

W5AK Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2004 23:39 Send this review to a friend
a wonderful rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I don't know what is the "best rig". I think what works best for you is the "best" rig. That said, I must say that the TS-950SDX is an excellent radio. The receiver is very quiet and extremely selective. It is sensitive as well. The transmitter is also quite excellect. Audio quality is impressive. And the best news.... if you love VHF / UHF as I do, you can interface your transversters easily. With DRU2, its a contest dream! So, you can spend $3+ on an Orion if you want or $ 11K+ for a IC 7800 or whatever for the new Yaesu radio. I think almost everyone would be satisfied with this excellent radio. Like almost everyone on this reflector, I've had a bunch of rigs over the past 46 years, this is one of the very best. Isn't it amazing that the "best" rigs are more than 15 years old - FT 1000D, IC 781, etc.

W4ZW Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2004 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Simply Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best SSB rig I've ever used, and that from a CW guy. By comparison I currently have a FT-1000D, a FT-1000MP, Kenwood TS-570SG, ICOM 706, and Kenwood TS-50. I have had Kenwood TS-930SAT, TS-850SAT, Yaesu FT-890, FT-990, FT-900, ICOM 775DSP, IC736, IC-756, and various other misc types over the years. The best CW rig in my opinion is the FT-1000D. The TS-950SDX has been an under-rated transceiver after the mediocre TS-940 and the TS-950S.

KC5NMW Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2004 03:26 Send this review to a friend
Best HF Rig Ever Made, Nuff Said  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best HF rig ever made. If you own one you know what I mean. If you don't, find one you'll never use anything else.

NA1A Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2004 01:56 Send this review to a friend
Benchmark for Kenwood HF Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using many different rigs through the years, I've found that the TS-950SDX is truly a "real radio". Whether I'm fighting a crowded band with many adjacent signals or simple rag chewing on a clear frequency, the SDX is the top notch performer. When it comes to Hi-Fi SSB transmission, it is hard to beat the SDX. The RF transmission is super clean and smooth. Its audio monitor circuitry is good and accurate. WIth the many selections on the 1st and 2nd IF filter selections and being able to set the TX and RX via different filters is a true assets. The receiver on the SDX is simply amazing to listen to especially when have it open to 6Khz!

M3SKF Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2004 12:42 Send this review to a friend
TARGET REMAINS IN-TACT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After several weeks i was able to find a good used one but i did have to mail order it from France.I did note that most of these 950SDX had various mods that i did not want,This one is bog standard.Well the radio came from a French dealer with a very good rep..It came very well packaged this was a real worry for me ( i was told about the French Postal service,but it is 1ST class)Now on to the radio its been switched on for 3 days solid & i must say that the stability is top of the class.Any radio that can remain in a stabilized state for in excess of 36 hours gets my vote of confidence.Working mostly in Data mode this week-end i did venture to telephony on top band & 80M,with stock microphone all audio reports are very complementary & some thinking that i had a base mike.I know its early days for me to give it a full review but up to now i am very pleased with the radio it reminds me of my old TS-850 but with the short-comings of that fine radio shorted.

N1IV Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2004 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Oh Yeah!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My TS-2000 is now a VHF/UHF/Satellite rig. After reading many reviews and articles, I searched for and found a mint TS-950SDX. I've only had it about 5 or 6 weeks but I love it. The reciever is top notch and the numerous filter combinations and DSP settings can drag even the weakest signals out of the mud. The extra 50 watts of output help on transmit, too. Easy to use controls, menus and knobs... large, easy to read display... just waiting for the DRU-2 recording unit and I'll be set! You won't go wrong with this beauty!

N6PEQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2004 11:05 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TS-950SDX is with out question the best SSB contest rig made to date. Outstanding receive audio quality as well as superb transmit audio quality. Team the 950SDX up with the SM-230 monitor scope and you have a very competitive station.

Simply to use, but very effective DSP comb filtering for pulling out those tough signals. Sensitive receiver with a very low noise floor.

The voice keyer option (DRU-2) also has great audio quality as compared to many other rigs on the market.

This radio is the pinnacle of HF radios at this time.

K4TOR Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2003 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch Tranceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had the 950SDX for a while, (less than 3 months). Bought it from an old ham not using it anymore. The receiver is probably what I like the best. Extremely quiet, yet very sensitive. CW QSK is silk smooth. The sub-receiver will not work crossband. You have to stay within 1 Mhz of the frq you are using on main receiver. The notchfilter is not as effective as I would like it to be (tones still bleeding through weakly even when centered on the tone).

Plenty of accessory connections in the back to meet your needs. DSP receive works very good. Not very well documented in manual. Good choice of standard filters included. Autotuner tunes extremely fast and smooth, provided the SWR is within tunable range. Only control I miss on the front is CW monitor adjustment, which is adjusted inside the tranceiver.

Other than that, big, heavy, and beats anything else on the market, today and yesterday.

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2002 21:08 Send this review to a friend
The  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own one.

I love it.

Cons: The NOTCH stinks... But it's better then none at all

other than that, it's the best radio ever...

Bought mine used from an estate of a freind of mine, that passed away suddenly...