Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Buxcomm Windom 80-6 meters Help

Reviews Summary for Buxcomm Windom 80-6 meters
Buxcomm Windom 80-6 meters Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $60-70
Description: This WINDOM is completely assembled, ready to connect your coax, and erect. BUX Model 806136 is SSB power rated at 1000 watts and includes three (3) insulators, PVC covered, Power-Flex, tinned, copper wire, connectors, and BALUN.
More info: http://www.packetradio.com/baseantennas.htm

You can write your own review of the Buxcomm Windom 80-6 meters.

WB1AAT Rating: 2/5 Aug 6, 2007 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Decent product - poor customer support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Heavy construction. approx 14 ga wire with heavy PVC coating and heavy insulators and excellent construction. Definately not one for stealth or for weak trees due to combined wire/pvc size and weight but would certainly last for years and take a beating. Works very well on 80, 40, and 20 and OK on 15 using a tuner. Also pretty decent on 6M. Overall very promising.

I'm scoring it down because I coudlnt quite get the SWR to come down on 10M without the tuner despite my attempts to follow suggestions in manual as closely as possible and it was pretty deaf on 10 even with a tuner. Found customer support to be very unpleasant ranging from curt messages to read the manual again to one word responses and eventually failure to respond at all. I really tried to work with this guy to no avail. Not going to try to return it because I dont want the added hassle. Instead, just throw it in the closet as a back-up and try some other brands like RadioWavz and RadioWorks. A shame.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2007 11:31 Send this review to a friend
built to last a very very long time.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this ocf windom crushes my 80 meter dipole in short daytime signal reports as well as dx,It really shows a big difference with night time long haul communication,If you get one you will be so happy with this windom i bet you get one for the future.I did.

tony k2vi

N3WJ Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2007 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, Great Price, Great Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Whenever I see a new review posted for the Buxcomm Windom I always feel guilty that I have not posted my own yet. Buck and the folks at Buxcomm deserve the positive feedback. This is an amazing antenna. I have the 80-6 4:1 version hung in a less than optimal configuration down in a valley. Yet, I still have managed to work most of what I hear, including some of the recent rare Dxpeditions, with 100 watts. It has also allowed me to experiment with 6 meters for the first time in 35+ yrs of hamming and even work the 160 phone contest. It tunes up easily on all bands with the tuner in my 746 Pro. Even with the tuner off-line, SWR is never more than 2:1. I highly recommmend this antenna for the quality build, unbelievable price and service.

N1YG Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2007 05:02 Send this review to a friend
great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tried a g5rv, didn't care for it. Tried a dipole, only worked on a couple of bands. Heard about the windom, did some research and finally built one, which unfortunately broke in one of our Nor'easters. So, I replaced my homebrew windom with the model #806136 1.5 years ago, it was actually cheaper than re-building mine! All I can say is it's one "Amazing Antenna" that won't disappoint. Worked better than All the others (even my HB!). SWR is 2:1 or less across most of the bands (as advertised) and it performs extremely well on both TX and RX. For the money you can't go wrong and customer satisfaction is there as well. What more could you ask for? Check it out, it will amaze you too! Enjoy and best 73

Dave, N1YG

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2007 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must say after all the good reviews I thought "something must be wrong here." Well, after two weeks of operation I can testify that nothing is wrong - this is one great antenna.

I got the 4:1 80-6 meter model. Very good workmanship - excellent customer service - shipped the same day I ordered - performance exceeds my expectations. I work a lot of QRP and I have been able to work everything I can hear. I cannot say that about every antenna I've ever made or bought.

I highly recommend this antenna to anyone looking for great performance at a great price.
73 Pete

K0PD Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2007 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Work's great ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After spending far to much time pondering about trying a different dipole type antenna and comparing the one's out there i elected to go with the Buxcom. I felt at the price it was to obvious which to buy. Now after recieving it i can tell you it was a total suprise but yet it should not have been as the review's pre told me what to expect.Every band is under 2-1 except 29mhz and 17 meters and 15 meters.40 meter's is under 2-1 across the entire band and 20 meters is FLAT across most of it.10 meter's does in most places exceed 2-1 and 160 actually is tunable and the phone portion of 75 is under 2-1 and lower at the top end. Now mind you all this and my Antenna is maybe 25 ft at apex and the long end has maybe 30 feet that i had to run in a off direction that i would call a horizontal L configuration and last but not least this is the 6-1 balun version. Every band except maybe 160 can be tuned close to a 1-2 swr with my internal tuner on my radio. This is so far the best operating wire antenna i have owned and is very well constructed...

K5YC Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2007 09:11 Send this review to a friend
TRY ONE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using an old trap dipole for years, I decided something else had to be better. Comparing antennas and price I settled on this one. Does it work, YES! Being not able to QSY
up or down the band with the trap dipole, it is
no problem now. Have worked Hawaii on 40 SSB with
5 watts (5/3) and all but 3 states now. People ask what antenna am I using? Can't believe an
OCF Windom. Others make this antenna for much more money, but Buxcomm got it right and a fair price.

NJ9A Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2007 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This could be a fluke but I ordered my Windom between 1pm and 2pm and had it in my hands at 4:30pm the following day (Virgina to SC). I tuned this antenna to the middle of all the bands (10-12-15-17-20-30-40 & 80) and all are 1.4 SWR or less - several are 1.1 to 1. After 2 hours of playing have been getting excellent reports from each contact. I got the 4:1 balun and never expected this from a $60 antenna. Well made and here's a better link that allows you to read the specs on all the products. I highly recommend this antenna.

K1LTJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2006 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, Great Company  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is extremely well made. I have the 4:1 balun version. I have used it on 80, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10 and 6. The swr is 1.5:1 across most of every band, and under 2:1 everywhere. You won't need a tuner. The antenna performs very well, you will not be dissapointed with this antenna, and you won't find a better company to deal with. I would recommend that you get the 4:1 balun.

N4FPS Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2006 17:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I can't say enough good about this antenna. It's broad banded and has provided me with great contacts. I have consistently been recognized first in pile ups. I have mine up about 50' in the center and about 35' on the ends. The antenna is well made. The antenna is resonant on the lower portion of the advertised bands and I use a tuner to touch up the upper portion.