Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-177 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-177
Yaesu VX-177 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $159.99
Description: The VX-177 is an ultra-rugged 5-Watt 430 MHz hand-held ideal for use in the most demanding applications. Featuring big receiver audio (almost 3/4 of a Watt!) and long battery life, the VX-177 is protected against water ingress to IPX7 specifications (immersion in 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes).

The VX-177 utilizes a 16-key pad for frequency and DTMF entry, as well as a wide variety of command functions.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=9vbNLJ0%2FiX8%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-177.

KB4TPP Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2007 13:08 Send this review to a friend
top notch UHF portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have owned a VX-170 (the 2m version) and was impressed by it. When the opportunity arose to pick one up off the QTH swap forum I took it. I am duly impressed by this radio again. I am also glad to see Yaesu building monoband radios for the 70cm band once again. Being an avid 440 user, finding ham gear for the band over the past decade has been scarce. The VX-177 continues the tradition of it's VHF sister radio with no lack of performance.

The radio has impressive receive sensitivity and can hear better than my Motorola XTS3000. No intermod on carrier squelch channels. Battery life is impressive considering the current drain on 5 watt TX is quite a bit more than it's VHF counterpart at 1.8 amps. A full 12 hour shift of heavy use at full power is possible with the 1400maH battery. Nice to know it's waterproof, will have the chance to test it on the upcoming 10K Classic on Labor day.

All in all it's a great radio, easy to program- never cracked the well written manual. Good to see at least one ham manufacturer pumping out LMR quality ham portables at a reasonable price. It's a keeper.

N7CAS Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2007 09:58 Send this review to a friend
At Last  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At last, at last. A radio that feels and looks like one. And it even turns ON with a knob. These are tools, not fashion statements, and tools used often. It feels like a 5W radio in your hand, and works great, although I dislike this trend with the swivel clips; I need a radio on by belt and close, not sticking out. I just get a neoprene glove for 'em; I don't know why that whole idea took off. They're unreliable in a First Responder scenario. Icom used to be like that in the 80's, solid design. Still have (and use) my IC-2AT (simplex of course). Thus, all my recent transceivers are... Yaesu. And the VX-177 is fantastic. It's the Icom 2AT morphed to 430.

W2MB Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2007 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Works Perfectly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simply put, this device works perfectly. It's loud, solidly built, easy to program, the battery charge lasts, and it seems to reject off frequency signals very well. If you are looking for a monoband UHF portable, this one would be a good choice.

WB7ANG Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2006 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Microphone issue with Yaesu-VX177  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my first Yaesu VX-177 few weeks ago and I love it. The range is great and the battery is very good. Well I had some issues the first day when I got it and I nearly send the radio back to the shop. The audio was very quiet and I had to talk very loud with my face on the microphone. First I thought it is something to do with the software and the adjustments and I read the instructions twice carefully, I found nothing. In the end I put the radio under strong light and I noticed that the condenser microphone is covered with something white like paper. I got a small screwdriver and rotate it few times very carefully touching the white surface without pushing it. After that procedure the audio has the crispiest sound you can get from a handheld unit and the microphone sensitivity is amazing. You can talk from a meter distance from the microphone and still to be heard clearly. Well I do not know had that white paper which covers the microphone something to deal with the water resistance of the radio or it is just a minor defect but now I am very happy with the TX audio. Anyway I will never try to deep it in water unless it happened accidentally. I bought second Yaesu VX-177 a week later for my brother.

N6DSP Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2006 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Great HT for the $$$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In my opinion, the VX-177/170 is great single band radio. I like the larger size display, and the radio feels like a real radio, very well made. Also, I have yet to hear any inter mod or other weird noises coming out of the speaker. The audio output is as loud as my Motorola HT-1250. I've received good reports on the transmit audio also. So far, I have had no operational issues with this radio. The only wish I had for the radio is that Yaesu should have put a real spring clip on the back like the FT-60. Can't really compare it to the FT-60, VX-7, VX-5, etc. that I've owned in the past since they are multi-band radios.

AI4SB Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2006 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Super HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my Vx-177 and I love this radio. The audio quality is great, transmission everyone compliments me on how great I sound. I have seen other 440mhz (70cm) radios but they do not have the power or the design of this radio. Yaesu did a great job here.. Lots of features and more.

If you want a dependable radio buy this radio,,,

N3JTN Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2006 07:59 Send this review to a friend
WoW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio back in June I like this radio a lot also i have vx170 great :-)

VA3CGT Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2006 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the VX-177 from the nice people at Universal Radio because for some reason our local ham store(s) won't sell the 177. So my dollars went south.

First off this radio is the ideal size. It fits confortably in your hand unlike other multibanded toy radios like the VX-2 I own.

Receive audio is the best I've heard coming from a ham specific radio. It rivals Motorola in sound quality. Well, close to it.

Battery capacity (1400mah) is good though I have not given the 177 a good work out as of yet. I have had reports the battery will last about 8 hours of continuous use. There is a lithium battery and rapid charger available for the 177 though it's only 1500mah capacity, not a big increase in capacity.

I added a Centurion 1/4 wave 6" rubber duck to the radio which increased the performance slightly. The centurion antenna fits perfectly over the gasket. No problems with gaps or seals.

Good sensitivity and intermod rejection.
Amazing belt clip! The swivel type belt clip is strong and durable and the radio moves with you. No more repositioning (or removing) your radio when getting into a car.

Fit and finish where the battery and the radio meet could have been a little tighter and cleaner. Gap and gasket could be seen. Not too impressed with the speaker grill design. A slightly black background on the display could be seen when the back light is on.

Easy menu to navigate and programming memory channels is pretty fast.

For $150 USD the 177 is a great buy. And to think I was going to buy a HT1550XLS...

LU1HQV Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2006 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Very very good for emergency aplications  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought two month ago.
Not is a fancy/little/compact radio, is a big, heavy and incredible ruged handheld.
I love this radio, I can take whit me and go to hills and city, never a problem whit battery or power.
I remember the old 211.
Very good reception and tx.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2006 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used the VX-177 for abt 2 weeks now and I like the radio. Solid, good audio both transmit and receive. Great battery life. Yea yea its not a wizbang do all 4 band radio with DC to Daylight receive. So its a bit bigger and heavier than the lightweight 2-3 band radios. BUT I doubt any of the lightweight toy radios would survive a drop like the VX-17* series radios. Built like a tank, nice belt clip, easy to use, having the software makes programming a lot simpler. Its a keeper for me. I sold a Motorola GP-2000 to buy this radio, and I am not disappointed.
Dan/NFPE