Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Oak Hills Research 400 Help

Reviews Summary for Oak Hills Research 400
Oak Hills Research 400 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $360
Description: (missing—add Description)
More info: http://www.ohr.com

You can write your own review of the Oak Hills Research 400.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Remember the year this was produced. For the year, it is a great radio. Good stability for todays bands as well.

N2UGB Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2009 01:29 Send this review to a friend
I use it as mono-bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the OHR-400 which was purchased a year ago. The 400 is a bit elderly now so passed through a number of previous owners.

The fact of the output power control being on the rear of the transceiver presents a problem. Placement on the operating desk, with other rigs, must be thought through. You have to get your arm behind everything up there on the desk in order to adjust the little pot control.

My solution is to use it as a mono-bander transceiver. I use it, exclusively, on 40M. Power output permanently set to about 5 watts and there it sits.

Operationally, I am quite satisfied. The receiver has good sensitivity and reasonable selectivity. I have an old Timewave filter in-line which helps the selectivity issue, an issue for all unfiltered rigs. I recommend an outboard filter on crowded bands.

The QSK feature is very satisfactory and side-tone note very pleasing. My 400 had a keyer built in which functions very well though I prefer using one of my old straight keys. What is neat is BOTH straight key and paddle are plugged in which is very convenient.

There is a drift problem which is resolved if some warm-up time is allowed. The output transister is very sensitive to a mis-match. You definitely want a very good match to your antenna or you will get some final transistor oscilation.

Controls are conveniently placed and with no menues plus larger size box makes this such a nice rig to operate.

If you find one at a reasonable price and can manage the output power control issue, I would suggest a purchase.

N0XAS Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2002 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this third-hand in a swap deal, not expecting much. The receiver seems to hear well, and is *VERY* selective. Switch in the 4-pole active audio filter and you're not going to hear QRM unless it's right smack on top of you. Solid output up to 8W on 80, 5W on all bands or crank it down for super low power.

Tuning is smooth and drift seems to be nonexistent. Signal reports are excellent. Coverage is right at 150kHz on each band. QSK is as good as any I've used, I think, no thumping or popping, and I think the QSK delay is adjustable. RIT gives about 1kHz span and has a center detent... in short, everything works just likeit should. Power consumption is not in the same class as a backpack radio, but it wasn't intended as such. It's a nice desk rig with large enough knobs to make operating easy.

Personally I would have put the RF drive pot on the front. Mine has had a KC2 keyer/digital display added, and I'm thinking of making a new front panel to clean it up and relocate a few controls. This rig is a keeper.

N8XE Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2001 21:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Kit....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this kit used from a local ham who lost interest in building it. It included the keyer board and the DD1. The radio was about 80% done. Toriods were no problem, it was actually kind of fun. Wired it up FB. Aligned up without problems (except for problems with my testing procedures HI!) and got the DD1 hooked up to it.

On the air the radio works fine. My first contact was with a station in Germany, second a stating in LX land. Third Sweden. It is getting out without problems.

This was my first kit. I did not assemble most of it, but it got me to warm up the soldering iron and get to work.

This radio probably would be a good second kit for someone. The instructions were fine and self explanatory. Take your time with the wires and measure exactly the lengths you need. There is little room to spare :)

Now I want a K2!

W2XS Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2000 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Great selectivity. (Too great?).  Time owned: unknown months
I've used this radio for 2 years now. Bought it used from Canada (thanks, Dan) from the QRPL reflector. The receiver is sensitive and very selective - seems to be about 400Hz or so. There is no way to widen the passband for casual listening, but there is an "ABX" mod (see the Elecraft website) that may apply to the OHR400's xtal filter circuit. The dynamic range is also very good with its diode DBM and bipolar RF amp - which also means that it draws a bit of current in receive - 250mA on mine. (Maybe the band-selection relays can be changed to the latching-type). But it puts out a solid 5W+ on 80, 40, 30, and 20. I use it with the LDG QRP tuner and have a great time with my CF Zepp. I just bought a Cub for 15 meters (which the OHR500 covers).