Reviews Categories | Microphones | Shure 577B Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Shure 577B Microphone
Shure 577B Microphone Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $159
Description: The Shure 577B is a noise canceling microphone that can be adapted for ham radio use in high noise environments. It is extremely well made and can solve transmission background noise issues.
More info: http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/577b.asp

You can write your own review of the Shure 577B Microphone.

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2006 10:10 Send this review to a friend
A problem solver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Shure 577B is a close talking low impedance dynamic microphone with a very effective noise canceling system. The case feels solid as a rock and the PTT switch has a positive feel. Shure claims it to be a "Million-Cycle" switch. The coiled cord seems to be very high quality and durable as well.

This mic isn't for everyone, but some will appreciate it's unique features. In my case I wanted to go mobile in my convertible. While at low speeds transmission was satisfactory with the stock microphone, but once on the highway I received unsatisfactory signal reports. I tried several mics with my rig before I tried the Shure 577B which completely eliminated the background noise. The audio quality is excelent with this mic.

To install this on your rig will require some home brewing, it's not a plug compatible mic for most mobiles; in fact it doesn't come with a plug! Since I wanted to keep all of my stock mics functionality I opted to apply the signal to the auxiliary (data port) input on my rig. Available on the plug is a PTT line that disables the stock mic while enabling the auxiliary input, this arrangement worked out great. Next problem was that the data port required a higher input that the mic provided, so I constructed an interface amp from a "Kitsrus" model 98 two transistor preamp. (http://kitsrus.com/kits.html#k47).
If you want more details in the interface please feel free to e-mail me. This arrangement allowed me to retain the fully functional stock mic while adding the Shure 577B.

If you want to operate from a noisy vehicle, convertible car, airplane or motorcycle and maintain quality transmission the Shure 577 is worth a close look.