Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner
MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $220
Description: The MFJ-929 IntelliTuner-CompactTM lets you automatically tune any coax fed or random wire antenna 1.8-30 MHz at full 200 Watts SSB/CW. It can match 6-1600 Ohms (SWR up to 32:1) - - that's a 50% wider matching range at a higher power level than lesser competing products.

You get a digital SWR/Wattmeter with backlit LCD, antenna switch for 2 antennas, built-in radio interface and built-in internal BiasTee for remote tuner operation.

More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-929

You can write your own review of the MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2017 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Auto Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I must say I'm actually Shocked how well this Auto Tuner works.I use it with my ICOM 746 using the Optional ICOM Interface Cable & on most bands it takes less than 2 seconds & it's tuned.I like the readout as well.I have had some mixed results with MFJ products so I'm hoping this tuner keeps working like it is now.I also own an LDG Auto Tuner & I must say the MFJ tunes much quicker & I can use the tune button on the ICOM 746 with it but that's not even an option with the LDG tuner.I am using the MFJ 929 with an Antron 99 at just 30 feet & it does a great job on 10-20 meters which is Amazing for an antenna that short.The radio is happy with the match & I get great signal reports so it must be doing something right.It is just a backup station but I have been having a lot of FUN with it without any complaints. Again,I'm Shocked that MFJ may have actually done something right but time will tell if it continues & if so for how long. {:>)

W2EJG Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2017 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Very useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine for several years now. Works FB with my Ten-Tec Omni VI but no auto tune. Tunes my G5RV very well with the exception of 40m where it gets squirelly. When this happens I open up the can unseat and reseat the main chip. Was happy with my B & W tuner but this is faster.

NH6RF Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2017 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used MFJ-929 off an auction site. No one bid against me so I got the reserve price. I also ordered the MFJ-5114I interface cable to connect with my ICOM IC-718. I did a complete reset to factory settings and ran the self diagnostics. All was well. I hooked up everything according to the MFJ-5114I instructions and only DC power to the tuner worked. The instructions are incorrect. The ICOM IC-718 tuner software needs to be changed to 18 vice 4. After I figured that out, all was well. My antenna is a 40M Inverted V. It's more like a horizontal Dipole with the ends drooping down but it works. On 80-12 meters I can get an excellent match upon initial tune. Tweaking got it to 1:1 SWR and 0 reflected. I'm completely satisfied with this unit. I had been using an MFJ-939 tuner which was "ok" but I wanted a fwd and ref meter to view simultaneously. The 939 has no meters. .

WC6Q Rating: 0/5 Sep 2, 2016 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Dead after 2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner instead of the LDG. I was sucked in by its fancy display and options.
After about a year the display started going bad. I thought nothing of it though as long as it tuned.
Well then it started giving me "increase power" warnings when I would press tune. No matter the antenna it flashed the message and would not tune.
So I contacted MFJ. They told me to take the firmware chip out and re-seat it. I did this. Then when I turned on the unit the screen was all black. They sent me another chip and there wasn't any difference. My tuner is now a brick! Thanks MFJ.

HA1TN Rating: 3/5 Jun 30, 2016 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Nice feature set, awful build quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered my tuner directly from the manufacturer. I had to wait more than a month for shipping as they did not have it on stock. After arrival I had to dismantle the device, because some buttons were stuck. The reason was the poor machining process of the front cover. I finalized the manufacturer's task with a rasp. The second problem was, that the coil of the antenna switching relay (K2) was not properly soldered, so only ANT1 was usable. I had to remove both PCBs to get access to the bottom side and do the soldering.

MFJ must improve their QC seriously. The hardware design, the firmware are OK, mechanical design and machining process are horrible. The manually made solder joints are so ugly and poor quality, that I have only seen in 60's soviet radios and TVs. Shame.

The tuner works well (after it has been finalized by the customer.)

Only recommended if you like building kits and have appropriate tools. Maybe if you are lucky, you can purchase a working item.

N6DXX Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2016 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Does a great job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned it for several years now and it easily tunes my 100 ft. OCF dipole from 80 through 10 meters. I strongly recommend you purchase the interface cable for your particular rig. With it tuning is as simple as pushing the tune button on your rig. Tuning is safe (10 Watts), fast and effective. Another plus with using the interface cable is the need for a separate power supply for the tuner is eliminated. After it memorizes your favorite frequencies, the tuning solutions are lightning fast. The LCD digital display is a nice feature too allowing you to see SWR and power levels.

I am a very satisfied owner.

N6DXX

ON4XA Rating: 3/5 Oct 31, 2015 12:48 Send this review to a friend
not easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi to all, 3 days I received the 929. Impossible to install it with my yaesu 857D. Wire antenna, Imax 2000, Hexbeam, nothing to do. SWR 7.0 and more. But, by a friend of me it works 100%. Why? He use a Sigma 4 antenna and 929 tune it on all frequencies. Unbelieveable. He gived me his LDG Z11Pro2 how works great here !

NB4R Rating: 3/5 Sep 24, 2015 12:15 Send this review to a friend
I got what I paid for  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A week or so ago I ordered this tuner from a large vendor I will leave unnamed. I anxiously removed it from the box, connected the wiring an power and ran into the first problem. The up-c, up-l and Tune buttons stuck in the depressed position. I removed the cover and face. The three switches for these functions were all soldered facing at three different angles from the PC board. I read the warranty and called the vendor to make sure I would not void the warranty if I "repaired it myself". The vendor said it was OK and that MFJ has quality problems, they were inexpensive and "I get what I pay for." That comment I feel was out of line.

After correcting the switch issue I was ready to test. The tuner so far has surpassed my expectations. I'm using it on a 300 foot horizontal loop. All frequencies I have tested on all bands have tuned to 1.4:1 or less. And most are at 1.1:1. I find that amazing. I am an old electronics tech,but new to Ham radio. This is my first tuner so I have nothing to compare it to. I would hesitate before I buy another MFJ product.

OZ8AGB Rating: 1/5 Aug 6, 2015 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Loose object inside....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First attempt:
Just got a brand new MFJ 929 today. I turned it around to take off the plastic wrapping it came in and immediately I could hear the sound of a solid object loose inside tumbling aournd as I slowly turned the unit upside down.
This one is going back to the dealer...

M6NAE Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2014 04:15 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ATU  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hello...

I have the yaesu ft450d. which the internal atu would not tune a g5rv on all bands including a 66ft long wire....so I got the mfj929...it's a great tuner..my highest swr is 1.4 - 1.6 ..the more you tune the faster it gets...I have the yaesu data cable so I can push the tune button on the radio ..if for some reason it will not tune a high swr antenna..i can unplug the data cable flick the vfo from usb to am, FM and key the mic and press tune on the atu..and it will tune...I was undecided whether to buy this or not and stick with my ldg auto atu....but im now sold this is a great atu....7.3.