Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner
MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $220
Description: The MFJ-929 IntelliTuner-CompactTM lets you automatically tune any coax fed or random wire antenna 1.8-30 MHz at full 200 Watts SSB/CW. It can match 6-1600 Ohms (SWR up to 32:1) - - that's a 50% wider matching range at a higher power level than lesser competing products.

You get a digital SWR/Wattmeter with backlit LCD, antenna switch for 2 antennas, built-in radio interface and built-in internal BiasTee for remote tuner operation.

More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-929

You can write your own review of the MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner.

HA1TN Rating: 3/5 Jun 30, 2016 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Nice feature set, awful build quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered my tuner directly from the manufacturer. I had to wait more than a month for shipping as they did not have it on stock. After arrival I had to dismantle the device, because some buttons were stuck. The reason was the poor machining process of the front cover. I finalized the manufacturer's task with a rasp. The second problem was, that the coil of the antenna switching relay (K2) was not properly soldered, so only ANT1 was usable. I had to remove both PCBs to get access to the bottom side and do the soldering.

MFJ must improve their QC seriously. The hardware design, the firmware are OK, mechanical design and machining process are horrible. The manually made solder joints are so ugly and poor quality, that I have only seen in 60's soviet radios and TVs. Shame.

The tuner works well (after it has been finalized by the customer.)

Only recommended if you like building kits and have appropriate tools. Maybe if you are lucky, you can purchase a working item.

N6DXX Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2016 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Does a great job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned it for several years now and it easily tunes my 100 ft. OCF dipole from 80 through 10 meters. I strongly recommend you purchase the interface cable for your particular rig. With it tuning is as simple as pushing the tune button on your rig. Tuning is safe (10 Watts), fast and effective. Another plus with using the interface cable is the need for a separate power supply for the tuner is eliminated. After it memorizes your favorite frequencies, the tuning solutions are lightning fast. The LCD digital display is a nice feature too allowing you to see SWR and power levels.

I am a very satisfied owner.

N6DXX

ON4XA Rating: 3/5 Oct 31, 2015 12:48 Send this review to a friend
not easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi to all, 3 days I received the 929. Impossible to install it with my yaesu 857D. Wire antenna, Imax 2000, Hexbeam, nothing to do. SWR 7.0 and more. But, by a friend of me it works 100%. Why? He use a Sigma 4 antenna and 929 tune it on all frequencies. Unbelieveable. He gived me his LDG Z11Pro2 how works great here !

K4AZZ Rating: 3/5 Sep 24, 2015 12:15 Send this review to a friend
I got what I paid for  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A week or so ago I ordered this tuner from a large vendor I will leave unnamed. I anxiously removed it from the box, connected the wiring an power and ran into the first problem. The up-c, up-l and Tune buttons stuck in the depressed position. I removed the cover and face. The three switches for these functions were all soldered facing at three different angles from the PC board. I read the warranty and called the vendor to make sure I would not void the warranty if I "repaired it myself". The vendor said it was OK and that MFJ has quality problems, they were inexpensive and "I get what I pay for." That comment I feel was out of line.

After correcting the switch issue I was ready to test. The tuner so far has surpassed my expectations. I'm using it on a 300 foot horizontal loop. All frequencies I have tested on all bands have tuned to 1.4:1 or less. And most are at 1.1:1. I find that amazing. I am an old electronics tech,but new to Ham radio. This is my first tuner so I have nothing to compare it to. I would hesitate before I buy another MFJ product.

OZ8AGB Rating: 1/5 Aug 6, 2015 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Loose object inside....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First attempt:
Just got a brand new MFJ 929 today. I turned it around to take off the plastic wrapping it came in and immediately I could hear the sound of a solid object loose inside tumbling aournd as I slowly turned the unit upside down.
This one is going back to the dealer...

M6NAE Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2014 04:15 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ATU  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hello...

I have the yaesu ft450d. which the internal atu would not tune a g5rv on all bands including a 66ft long wire....so I got the mfj929...it's a great tuner..my highest swr is 1.4 - 1.6 ..the more you tune the faster it gets...I have the yaesu data cable so I can push the tune button on the radio ..if for some reason it will not tune a high swr antenna..i can unplug the data cable flick the vfo from usb to am, FM and key the mic and press tune on the atu..and it will tune...I was undecided whether to buy this or not and stick with my ldg auto atu....but im now sold this is a great atu....7.3.

VE7ABC Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2014 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first auto-tuner, other than the limited range ones I've had in my HF rigs.. My antennas consist of a trap loaded inverted vee and a 6 element trap yagi at 50 feet. I don't need the tuner on the beam except for the edges of 10 meters, but on the vee, it is a needed item. This tuner more than fills the bill, I now can quickly obtain a low SWR on the vee for 40 & 80 meters. As an added bonus, it's tuning range allows me to now play on the WARC bands.
It replaced a MFJ 948 VERSA II manual tuner that I had for many trouble free years and so far I've found no issues or complaints with the 929.

N3VC Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2014 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is outstanding. After two years the power switch went south. I called MFJ tech support and was shipped a new switch on Friday. I received the new switch Monday. There always seems to be a lot of jokes and trash talk about MFJ. I want to say they stood by this product and earned my respect since it was out of warranty and they could have charged me anything for this switch. They were professional and as stated above quick. Great job MFJ.

NC3Z Rating: 3/5 Mar 9, 2014 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Great once you fix MFJ's screwups  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have 2 MFJ-929's now, they actually replaced some LDG's that failed to tune antennas as well as a built in tuner of my FTDX5000MP. But I needed tuners for some other rigs so took a gamble on MFJ.

Well they worked and tuned my antennas as well as the Yaesu. One interfaces to a IC-7200 very nicely, the other is on a TR-7.

Issues out of the box were with the calibration, luckily MFJ gives you instruction in the book. You must calibrate as MFJ doesnt have a clue how to do it themselves. Second, and before you power these up, take the cover off and fix all the screws inside. Mose were loose or barely in. The case screws were also all cock-eyed. Not sure what MFJ is doing at the factory but their QC is horrible.

I think MFJ has great ideas but the absolute worst execution. maybe they should sell their items as partial kits to allow hams to assemble themselves. It would save from the required inspection when you receive a MFJ item.

And don't bother calling MFJ customer support, it is worthless. Sorry MFJ, but you need help with QC and customer support.

All that said, I would give this a 5 if it were not for the out of the box issues (which can easily be resolved).

AE8MM Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2014 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Works with FTDX1200  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First unit was dead out of the box, ended up exchanging it for another.

Second one works well and tunes quickly. No issues with connecting to the Yaesu FTDX1200, Use the MFJ-5114 cable and follow the directions for connecting to the FT950. The menus on the two radios however are not the same. To select a external tuner on the FTDX1200 is option 179 on the menu.