Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner
MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $220
Description: The MFJ-929 IntelliTuner-CompactTM lets you automatically tune any coax fed or random wire antenna 1.8-30 MHz at full 200 Watts SSB/CW. It can match 6-1600 Ohms (SWR up to 32:1) - - that's a 50% wider matching range at a higher power level than lesser competing products.

You get a digital SWR/Wattmeter with backlit LCD, antenna switch for 2 antennas, built-in radio interface and built-in internal BiasTee for remote tuner operation.

More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-929

You can write your own review of the MFJ-929 Compact 200-watt Auto-tuner.

M6NAE Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2014 04:15 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ATU  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hello...

I have the yaesu ft450d. which the internal atu would not tune a g5rv on all bands including a 66ft long wire....so I got the mfj929...it's a great tuner..my highest swr is 1.4 - 1.6 ..the more you tune the faster it gets...I have the yaesu data cable so I can push the tune button on the radio ..if for some reason it will not tune a high swr antenna..i can unplug the data cable flick the vfo from usb to am, FM and key the mic and press tune on the atu..and it will tune...I was undecided whether to buy this or not and stick with my ldg auto atu....but im now sold this is a great atu....7.3.

VE7ABC Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2014 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first auto-tuner, other than the limited range ones I've had in my HF rigs.. My antennas consist of a trap loaded inverted vee and a 6 element trap yagi at 50 feet. I don't need the tuner on the beam except for the edges of 10 meters, but on the vee, it is a needed item. This tuner more than fills the bill, I now can quickly obtain a low SWR on the vee for 40 & 80 meters. As an added bonus, it's tuning range allows me to now play on the WARC bands.
It replaced a MFJ 948 VERSA II manual tuner that I had for many trouble free years and so far I've found no issues or complaints with the 929.

N3VC Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2014 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is outstanding. After two years the power switch went south. I called MFJ tech support and was shipped a new switch on Friday. I received the new switch Monday. There always seems to be a lot of jokes and trash talk about MFJ. I want to say they stood by this product and earned my respect since it was out of warranty and they could have charged me anything for this switch. They were professional and as stated above quick. Great job MFJ.

NC3Z Rating: 3/5 Mar 9, 2014 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Great once you fix MFJ's screwups  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have 2 MFJ-929's now, they actually replaced some LDG's that failed to tune antennas as well as a built in tuner of my FTDX5000MP. But I needed tuners for some other rigs so took a gamble on MFJ.

Well they worked and tuned my antennas as well as the Yaesu. One interfaces to a IC-7200 very nicely, the other is on a TR-7.

Issues out of the box were with the calibration, luckily MFJ gives you instruction in the book. You must calibrate as MFJ doesnt have a clue how to do it themselves. Second, and before you power these up, take the cover off and fix all the screws inside. Mose were loose or barely in. The case screws were also all cock-eyed. Not sure what MFJ is doing at the factory but their QC is horrible.

I think MFJ has great ideas but the absolute worst execution. maybe they should sell their items as partial kits to allow hams to assemble themselves. It would save from the required inspection when you receive a MFJ item.

And don't bother calling MFJ customer support, it is worthless. Sorry MFJ, but you need help with QC and customer support.

All that said, I would give this a 5 if it were not for the out of the box issues (which can easily be resolved).

AE8MM Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2014 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Works with FTDX1200  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First unit was dead out of the box, ended up exchanging it for another.

Second one works well and tunes quickly. No issues with connecting to the Yaesu FTDX1200, Use the MFJ-5114 cable and follow the directions for connecting to the FT950. The menus on the two radios however are not the same. To select a external tuner on the FTDX1200 is option 179 on the menu.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2013 18:54 Send this review to a friend
IC-7100 Use OK !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update at the end of 2013... got a new IC-7100, and with the jumper OFF (as specified for the IC-7000) it tunes the DX Engineering 43 foot vertical on everything from 160-10 (which the LDG AT-600ProII refused to do). Again, great value for the $$, and connects to ANY rig with the appropriate cable (unlike LDG).

EI4GIB Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 02:58 Send this review to a friend
Sweet Little Auto Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Perfect Hassle-free use, this Auto Tuner is so easy to use and so very quick to tune on any band. I use a Hustler 5BTV antenna and an IC-7000 and Yaesu FT-920. I stuck the Hustler into the ground and never got a chance to tune it properly, so I relied on the Auto-Tuner in the FT-920, which was just OK, but the SWR was quite high on some bands and completely unusable on others. I bought a used Kenwood AT-200 ATU which had a better tuning range than the internal one on the FT-920, but some bands still wouldn't tune. The I bought the Icom IC-7000 and what a great radio that is!. Of course it doesn't have a built-in tuner so I bought a used MFJ-929 on the internet and when it arrived it actually turned out to be brand new and un-opened, excellent! I had some old computer power supplies, so I cut off one of the Molex connector cables, snipped a bit of the plastic casing off one end of it and connected the cable to some CAT cable using Gel Crimps, I crimped a crystal RJ-45 connector to the end of the CAT 5 cable and my Radio Interface cable was ready, in less than 10 minutes. I had intended on buying a ready-made cable, but never bothered as the one I gunthered works 100%. I went into the MFJ-929's menu and selected "Icom", connected the coax and the Radio Interface cable, then switched on my IC-7000 and this automatically switched on the MFJ-929 Intellituner. The first time you use it on any frequency it can take a couple of seconds to tune, but after that it's lightening fast! I tried to time it, but it's way too fast, but definitely under 500ms, very impressive. it tunes my IC-7000 to any band whatsoever with an SWR of less than 1:1.3 and if I click tune again it tunes almost any band to 1:1.0. Tuning is so easy: I use the Ham Radio Deluxe software and when I click on a station in the DX Cluster list, if it's far off the frequency from when I last used it, I just use my mouse to click on the "Tune" button in HRD and milliseconds later it's tuned. I absolutely love it. It makes it so easy to change bands.
The build quality is great, no paint scratches, no sharp edges. I have only used the power button once, since when I turn on my radio it turns on the Auto-tuner.
I have only had one issue and it's not really an issue at all: I had originally opened up the 929 to remove jumper 4, as per the instructions when using an IC-7000, but there was no jumper 4, just the holes on the circuit board where it should be, so I had nothing to do here. like I said it wasn't really an issue.
I haven't used the FT-920 since I got the 929, only my IC-7000. The two compliment each other beautifully and make my Ham Radio experiences so much better, I would highly recommend this little beauty!
I am on the look out for a nice solid state amp, maybe the 400 watt Tokyo units, and will need a higher rating Intellituner, but the bigger version, the MFJ-994B, doesn't have the LCD display and several other features, which I just can't get my head around. The 1500watt version, the MFJ-998 has all the features of the MFJ-929, so why the middle power units is so lacking doesn't make sense, I would buy one in a heart beat otherwise, (I'm restricted to 400 watts)
So, if you need a 200 watt Auto Tuner: buy one today!

KB1YQC Rating: 0/5 Dec 8, 2012 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Terrible- died in 31 days  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I rate this a 0 on functionality, 0 on Quality and a 0 on their warranty service

First issue is their sticky tune, it hates g5s. So it would only tune if i did each band manually. I should have taken it back then and there.

I bought this new in sept. Exactly 31 days after purchasing it , the power switch broke. So i had to send it back to MFJ. I overnight-ed it via the USPS in hopes of getting it back fast. The USPS record shows it was delivered on Oct 29th. But They(MFJ) didn't log it into their "repair system" until Nov 7th according to the invoice MFJ sent me
I called on nov 27 inquiring about it. They claimed they didn't get it. Then they say it is on hold since they spelled my name wrong in their system and couldn't touch it until i called and they will look at it.
I called again Dec 4th, they hadn't even looked at it. Then they said they would, but they are all out power switches and it will take an additional 2 to 3 weeks.
So now we are out to new years time estimate. and they state they will not extend the warranty for the 6 weeks plus they have had it because it is against their policy

So if you have money to burn, it did manual tune nicely but that is it. Don't expect any service support for repairs, unless you have a lot of time to wait

I will save up and buy an LDG... But no DXing for me until next year now.

PA0RCL Rating: 3/5 May 29, 2012 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Not that bad after all...  Time owned: more than 12 months
A year ago I wrote that my MFJ929 had suddenly left me after two years of reliable service. I had it repaired by the dealer (for about a quarter of the retail price) and it serves me well again for almost a year. I use it as a remote tuner for my horizontal delta loop. It is controlled by my IC-7200 via a 30m long CAT6 cable running in parallel with the coax feeder. Tuning is as easy as pushing the "tune"-button on the IC-7200 for two seconds. Works quite well now. If it had not failed earlier I probably would have given it a five again.

WB5CYS Rating: 0/5 Feb 6, 2012 19:43 Send this review to a friend
World's Biggest Sucker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 20 years of poor to disasterous experiences with MFJ equipment I swore I would never buy any more. Recently I had an opportunity to use the MFJ-929 tuner at a friend's station and like an idiot I convinced myself to purchase one for my shack. DEAD OUT OF THE BOX. I get the morse message "WAKEUP FAIL" when I run the self test. No other functions work at all. My instruction manual tells me this is a microprocessor wakeup circuitry problem. That is an encouraging dianostic, isn;t it?!?!?

So now I am in for another fight with MFJ to try to get this piece of junk replaced so maybe I can get a few days of use out of it for my $218.00! Beware of MFJ, you all have heard the horror stories and I assure you they are true. Once again I am swearing off. I prefer buying American as well but I sure do not like throwing my money down a rat-hole.