Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-815c Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-815c
MFJ-815c Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: The MFJ-815C cross-needle meter allows you to monitor both forward and reflected power simultaneously. There are buttons to select either Peak or Average reading and power ranges of 300/3000 watts forward and 60/600 watts reflected. Frequency coverage is 1.8 to 30 MHz with a measurement accuracy of 10%. The average power is measured when the PEAK/AVG button is out. Peak envelope power (PEP) is measured when the PEAK/AVG button is pushed in. The Peak Reading function of this meter requires external 12 VDC or a 9 volt battery (not supplied) to operate. See MFJ-1312D sold separately. Please note that the meter lamps will function with external 12 VDC, but not from the 9 volt battery. The rear panel features SO-239 connectors for input and output. 7.25 x 3.5 x 4.5 inches. (Replaces earlier MFJ-815B).

More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-815C

You can write your own review of the MFJ-815c.

NA5XX Rating: 0/5 Mar 20, 2015 20:54 Send this review to a friend
How does MFJ stay in business  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My meter has several issues. The meter fell into the housing so I had to open it up to re-glue it into the unit. When I removed the lid, I immediately saw three wires that needed to re re soldered. I hope I got them connected to the right locations. I hear of these quality issues with MFJ over and over. How are the still in business.

W9PMZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2013 17:24 Send this review to a friend
so far so good...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Worked out of the box no problems.
Accurate against my laboratory grade watt meter.
Uses a yellowish LED. I had an extra Ameritron LED for an amp and swapped. Now all LEDs are the same colors.
Really good value.

W7VO Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2012 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Have a bunch of 'em  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use these MFJ 815C wattmeters on each of my three stations, plus one that I keep on a shelf for Field day use. Are they accurate? Who knows. Do they tell me if I am transmitting and have a decent SWR? Certainly. What more do you need? Who cares if you are putting out 196.8 watts or "about 200"?

What I really like about them is that they are only $20-35 used at the hamfests all day long. For the money they cannot be beat.

Never had one fail, but never bought a new one either.

NB9M Rating: 1/5 Nov 21, 2012 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Too light for a doorstop.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Out of the box maybe 6 months ago, the new MFJ-815 was scratched, as well as having numerous paint imperfections. Build and materials quality are undeniably sub-par. When it was working at all, it ignored anything less than 15 watts.

Now, it is deader than a hammer. Lost the receipt, so am using it as a doorstop, along with the other dead MFJ products I was foolish enough to pick up through the years.

W9UCR Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2012 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Good Meter. How do you calibrate it?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
No problems with the meter. It seems to work as advertised. I think it might read a bit high as it says I'm getting 650 Watts out (CW) with my AL-811. I'm curious as to how you calibrate this device??? Or is the answer "borrow a Bird Wattmeter and run a calibration chart?"

73, Bob W9UCR

JUNKMAN Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2011 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned all of the top of the line wattmeters but I was just needing a simple and cheap wattmeter to check out an amplifier that I had just bought and decided to give this one a try. Well for $90 I'd say it's a real good buy. The meter works very well although I did have to calibrate it right out of the box. The 300 watt scale was showing my TS-590 doing 160 watts and I knew this was not the case. After calibration all works great. I like the way it tracks with your speech and the meter isd large enough and bright enough that I have no trouble seeing it. I was a litle disappointed to discover that it did not have LED backlighting as it was advertised as having but that's ok. All around a very good meter for less than $100.

KI6OSH Rating: 4/5 Jan 8, 2009 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Works well...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would have given this meter a 5 but it arrived with a rattling piece of plastic inside and no directions. Removed the rattle and no ill effects...seems to work well for me.