Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1717S - High Gain 144/440 MHz Flexible Duck HT Antenna w/ SM Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1717S - High Gain 144/440 MHz Flexible Duck HT Antenna w/ SM
MFJ-1717S - High Gain 144/440 MHz Flexible Duck HT Antenna w/ SM Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $21.95
Description: MFJ-1717S is a foldover dual band flexi-duck antenna with a quality SMA connector. It gives you a hearty 2.15 dBi gain on 440 MHz and is a full size 1/4 Wave on 2 Meters. It's factory tuned for minimum SWR.
High-Q, low loss construction. 161/2 inches. Hard plastic protective safety tip. Radiator is protected by a durable synthetic rubber compound. Protected by MFJ's famous No Matter What(TM) one year limited warranty.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1717S

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1717S - High Gain 144/440 MHz Flexible Duck HT Antenna w/ SM.

WK6V Rating: 2/5 Dec 5, 2016 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Worse than stock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this from GigaParts as an upgrade for my UV-5R. Tested on both UHF and VHF, both on simplex and on repeaters, and unanimous feedback was it performed worse than the stock duck.

Contacted GigaParts who said I needed to troubleshoot with MFJ. Called MFJ and they said it sounded like the product was defective. They eventually just reimbursed me and told me to keep the bunk antenna.

Two stars for at least admitting it wasn't working, but it's not enough to make me try my luck again.

AD1ET Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2015 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Again, don't know about the 0 review. Sounds out of place considering all others. Have had this more than a year on an Icom IC T70A. It is just terrific. Tough, durable, flexible, looks good and works better. Vast improvement over stock duck. And, finally, the price is just great. Can not have bad SWR and give full quieting and no static TX and strong clear RX on both VHF and UHF at 30 miles.

KD5YVY Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2015 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for about 2 years or so and been very happy with it. It can make it hard for you handheld to stand up on it's on on a desk, and it's fallen antenna first several times with me making that mistake, but as flexible as it is, it just keeps working. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

KD5FLN Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2014 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Difference between night & day  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 1717s for my Alinco DJ-V57 after reading all the good reviews it recieved here on eHam.net. I'm glad I did and it's worth every bit the 20 bux it cost. The difference between this and the stock rubber duck is day & night. There is a 440 repeater 23 miles away and with the stock antenna and 5 watts full power I could'nt ping the repeater on my 2nd flr apartment. With the MFJ-1717s installed, I can easily hit that same repeater sitting on my sofa on mid pwr, 2 watts and I'm getting 3-4 bars on my S meter, almost full strength. Wow! I went outside for a 5 mile hike and was able to consistantly hit that repeater. I'm sold! Thank you MFJ for such a fine product!

W2NJU Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2013 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Lil Antenna For the Money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I lost my original Yaesu VX-5 in superstorm Sandy. I was lucky enough to find another one. I salvaged my Diamond SRH77CA from my water ravaged Yaesu and attached it to the replacement only to find that I had signal problems with the new HT. Turned out that the Diamond antenna was also ruined by the water. I tried the MFJ 1717S and it was every bit as good as my Diamond,,,and a lot less money. Good job, Martin! It fits tightly and gets out to the repeaters and even my locals a couple of miles away report solid copy on simplex.

KC8ZNL Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2010 18:01 Send this review to a friend
it's the answer !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a radio shack htx-202 and was working great until I tried using external pwr and a new nicad battery pack. I started getting "er2's" only on hi pwr. so I tried the 1717s and no more er2's. even feeding the 202 with 13.8 v. NO MORE ER2"s and better performance too.

KI4LWA Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2009 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding addition to any HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first tried an MFJ-1717s at a local hamfest on my Yaesu FT60 and the difference was night and day from the stock rubber duck. Since then, I have purchase probably 5 more of these and, in fact carry a couple extras when our ARES/RACES group deploys for a public service event. We were out in January and one of our operators was sounding pretty rugged on his HT and I handed him a 1717s right there on scene....and presto, he's used it ever since. In my opinion, this antenna is just the right mix between firm and flexible and is the very best upgrade for twenty bucks you can do for your HT. By the way, Thanks to EHam for these review pages...I study them every time I am considering purchasing a piece of equipment!

K8WRQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2009 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an excellent HT antenna. I bought this shortly after getting a VX-150 several years ago. With this antenna, I am able to solidy and reliably hit repeaters 15+ miles away with medium power. It's great for SAR-type ops where you may be relying on a distant repeater or even simplex to get with net control.

There is one problem with this antenna, but I can't fault MFJ for it, so it's only presented for your information. This antenna is LONG. Now, I knew that going in, so it's my own fault. It's well worth the hassle when you're sitting on the porch rag chewing or in the field doing serious work. For walking around hamfests or club meetings, though, you'll need to keep your standard duck that came with the radio. With the radio clipped to your belt, this antenna will dig squarely into your armpit. It's unwieldy in the car or indoors at club meetings or VE sessions, too.

Overall, this is a great antenna and I highly recommend it. Again, keep the standard duck or get something shorter for close quarters, but I can't imagine not having this antenna. In a pinch, it even works great with an over the window mount for mobile work with an HT (a rental car comes to mind).

N9KH Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2009 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an MFJ=1717 on my Yaesu FT-51R and l liked it well enough to buy a 1717S when I got an FT-60R. At a hamfest my friend was sitting next to me and was having trouble hearing or hitting the local repeater. I gave him my 1717S and he suddenly could hear it clearly and hit it strongly. Pretty good comaprison. BTW, he went over and bought one immediately. A great improvemtn over the rubber duck supplied with HT's.

73 de N9KH

K0CMH Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2007 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine a year now and am very satisified with it. I'm not sure about the one review that checked the SWR with his SWR meter. I don't know how one could get an accurate reading without the antenna connected to the HT unit, but . . .

Mine improved the TX and RX of my FT-60R considerably. The advertisement said " get repeaters you could not get berfore", well, it does. No, it is not stupendous, but it does get the signal of my FT60R out much better than the factory ducky and ditto the RX. In fact, it has exceeded my expectations. I carry it to work every day in the bottom of my briefcase, and it has held up to that kind of bouncing and bashing and still looks new.

Is it the absolute best available, no, but I think it is pretty darn good for the money.