Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-520SE Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-520SE
Kenwood TS-520SE Reviews: 15 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $599.99
Description: The Kenwood TS-520SE is designed for SSB and CW modes in the 160
through 10 meter ham bands. It also features receive of WWV at 15 MHz.
Power input is 200W PEP SSB and 160W DC CW. This transceiver does not
have general coverage receive and NO WARC Band (30M/17M/12M). Note that
the Transverter Control Connector on the rear panel of the earlier TS-520S is
not on the TS-520SE. And the TS-520SE has a switchable CW-Filter.
More info: http://www.k4eaa.com/types.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-520SE.

K6TLA Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2017 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Great classic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a TS-520S station nearly 40 years ago and have always regretted parting with it. I began a search for another this year, found a complete TS-520SE station, and bought it. For a nearly 40 year old station this one is nearly mint and every bit as nice as the original from many years ago. It's a keeper. Sure I have more modern rigs available but this one is a gem.

N4JHY Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2016 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Nothing but FUN!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Saw a mint condition TS520SE with original box and manual on QTH.com and decided to buy it.
Needed the help of the Usersgroup because of misunderstanding tune up procedure. Radio works great, except for an intermittent speech processor switch. Will deal with it when I have a minute.
No notch and no I.F. shift, but radio makes up for it with steller performance. Has a wonderful sounding receiver and excellent xmit audio. I like older Kenwood radios and have a TS930sat and a TS120s in my collection. Nicely drives my amplifier, a Heathkit SB230 with the GI7b conversion. The 520se is a keeper. Looking for a cw filter. If you find a nice one TS 520s or se, buy it!! 73, Bruce N4JHY

N4URW Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2016 06:11 Send this review to a friend
LOVE THE RIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I obtained a Kenwood TS-520SE from a fellow that had bought it brand new back in the early 80's. He had planned to get a ham licensed but never did and so he stored it away. The rig had never been operated until I got it in the original double box. The voltage switch in the back was still in the 240 mode. Took off the covers and looks brand new. Had to clean the front because of mildew but then switched the voltage switch to the 120 mode and fired it up. Rig works fantastic. Later bought a MC-50 and TS-520 Speaker to match. I don't think I would ever let this one go unless it is a deal that I can't refuse. I don't think I would ever find a 520SE in this kind of shape. I am wondering if I need to change out CAPS or do any upgrades to it but right now it operates flawlessly. N4URW

VK6NSB Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2015 17:41 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 520SE from a deceased estate and it had NEVER been plugged in so after bringing it up on a variac you need a gun to get it out of my shack. It's my main rig at my weekender and gets turned on when I arrive and turned of when I leave 2 days later. I always get top audio reports from everybody. Receive is so easy on the ears and to me runs rings around later radios. If you find one grab it, you wont be disapointed

W7TNS Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2012 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Great oldie!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Considering it is an analog, oldie rig...it is a fine Xceiver! Bought mine virtually new in 1988...mint then, and mint now!! HAs original tubes and still puts out 140 watts on 75 M! It is currently the backup rig for my backup rig, and still FUN to use with great reports. Survived my early ham career with wrong antennas, mistuned antennas, even NO antennas!! Maybe would stop a truck! :):)...SE model was last one of the bunch, but all are cool rigs! Enjoy!

W9BB Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2012 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Oldie - Still Great Now!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I progressed years ago from a GT-550A to the TS-520SE, I was moving light years ahead. Now, I am stil playing with the 520SE. Simple to use, no WARC (sniff, sniff), but put out a respectable signal, and I have the 500 HZ CW Filter, which really helps. No IF Shift, no DSP, but great sounding receive audio and transmit audio. Mine is on a scale of 1 to 10, at least a 9.5. Very clean, looks really sharp and fun to play with an "analog radio". If you have a chance to get one, get one and play with it and have a blast!

26JLH Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2011 13:50 Send this review to a friend
good ,but watch out for twidlers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got this on ebay for 140.00 pounds,you guessed it 10 meter tuning slugs busted.
why the hell do people do this its mad i am sure kenwood tuned the set befor they got it but they say i will do it better with my metal proddler.
oh i broke the slugs oh well,i got some comming but it was a pain to get out but i did.
rig works well after i tuned it so it would track on transmit and recieve that was way out to.
one the plus side this radio is one of the best of the valve type built like a tank and will put you on pain killer if you pick it up.
good audio reports works flawlesly when tuned up so i am happy but i wish the so called exe drips woul lay off with ther prodding things....jeff...

26JLH Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2011 10:42 Send this review to a friend
used it on field day  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this radio was used on an on air day at the club,i bought it, well i put my name on it pending payment.
it sounded so good and was the best i heard lovely sound.i did 2 hrs on it and i was hooked i just had to have it ownd by to older owners not a screwdriver bucket looks good just needs a clean and touch up a few case marks,i may respray it i am not sure what i want to do yet.
these rigs may be old but the new stuff cant touch these old radios on build quality full stop.
jeff... m6glh..can be made to run qrp i do morse and psk only...

VE3MVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2011 07:15 Send this review to a friend
The Rolls Royce Of Hybrids  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine for nearly 28 years now.Bought it used from Ham Traders in 1982 and was my first real decent tranceiver.Built like a tank.Still has the original driver and finals and puts out 110 watts.Receive audio is excellent.Transmit audio is excellent.Reliability is excellent.I don't think I will ever part with it.

N1TCH Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2010 15:35 Send this review to a friend
This is an easy to use outstanding rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had an ICOM IC-706 and wsa frustrated with the menus and tiny knobs. When I upgraded to general I lppked around and was impressed with the fact that these 30 year old rigs are popular and very easy to use. I bought the 520SE and added all of the accessories, except the external speaker, and have made contacts all over Eurpoe & the US with a 20 M wire dipole 15' off the ground. I wouldn't trade it for anything.