Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-520SE Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-520SE
Kenwood TS-520SE Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $599.99
Description: The Kenwood TS-520SE is designed for SSB and CW modes in the 160
through 10 meter ham bands. It also features receive of WWV at 15 MHz.
Power input is 200W PEP SSB and 160W DC CW. This transceiver does not
have general coverage receive and NO WARC Band (30M/17M/12M). Note that
the Transverter Control Connector on the rear panel of the earlier TS-520S is
not on the TS-520SE. And the TS-520SE has a switchable CW-Filter.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-520SE.

WU7X Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2008 14:54 Send this review to a friend
My first rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my first ticket at Christmas time in 1980. I bought myself a complete TS520SE station, the transceiver, the VFO-520, the matching tuner, the Kenwood headphones, CW and SSB filters, and a MC-50 Microphone. I made my first contacts (CW) both stateside and DX (an OZ came back to my CQ. Scared the heck out of me!)with that rig. It was easy to tune and easy on the ear. I eventually located the Kenwood digital readout for it. I talked all over the world using a homebrew 15 m yagi with PCV spreaders holding the three elements apart on each end. and a random length of copperweld wire. That random wire antenna and the Kenwood antenna tuner allowed me to make CW contacts on the gentlemen's band with hams in the Pacific NW and western Canada, something I didn't do again on 160 m for another 25 years.

Several years later, I sold the whole system and bought a Kenwood TS430S, after that a TS50, then a TS850SAT, and now a TS480SAT and TS480HX.

I have owned Icoms, Yaesus, and even a couple of Ten Tecs. But I always have had a Kenwood in the shack. My only regret is that I sold that original setup. It was a real workhorse and so fun to play with. I'd love to put another station like that back together some day.

When a friend of mine wanted to get back into ham radio after many, many years absence, he asked me what radio he should get. I located a TS520S for him. He loves it. But I made him promise that if he ever wanted to get a different radio I would have first dibs on the Kenwood. I think I am in for a very long wait.

Dale WU7X
GM1FLQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2008 10:11 Send this review to a friend
A proper radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just good solid engineering / build quality - no gimmicks, everything has a sensible purpose and works. Will still be going when all the Pro 1,2,3,4,5's etc are in the bin.

KB5DRJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2006 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my TS-520SE at a hamfest. It also came with the DG-5 digital display. This rig is my main HF rig in my shack. I've had it now for about two years. It is very reliable and forgiving. Built like a tank. Easy to work on. Great beginner rig.
HB9DDS Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2006 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Really a great transceiver even today!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had and have several transceivers. And I have to say that all the old and older Kenwood transceivers are really great stuff. And also the TS-520SE. Great TX and RX-audio. Easy to tune (tubes!). Very soundy RX quality, warm and clear. I'm happy I have one in good condition. I wouldn't miss it. Btw this comment is also for the TS-830S and the TS-930S. All are great rig's. If you could buy one do it. You will not be dissapionted.

73 de Daniel, HB9DDS