Reviews Categories | Tower and Antenna Installers | Don Daso, K4ZA Help

Reviews Summary for Don Daso, K4ZA
Don Daso, K4ZA Reviews: 126 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Within Reason
Description: Tower Works: That title says it allóif you need tower work done, from installation to repair, I can probably help you! With 45 years of ham radio experience, Iíve worked on most every size & make of tower/beam, & specialize in Rohn guyed-towers (25, 45, 55G, etc.). Have a solid mechanical & engineering background (NCJ contributing editor), along with all the necessary skills & tools to install, take down, or repair your system, whether itís 20 or 200-feet high. Reasonable rates, good reviews, & ability to travel.

k4za@juno.com 704 408 7948

More info: http://www.k4za.com

You can write your own review of the Don Daso, K4ZA.

WG5H Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2014 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After being inactive a number of years, I decided to put up towers and antennas I could only admire earlier in my HAM life. I called Don, described what I thought I wanted, he was quick to tell me exactly what I needed. I ordered 120' of 55G for the HF tower and 60' of 25G for the VHF tower and antennas he recommended. I'd recommend anyone with intentions of tower projects to buy Don's book ' Antenna Towers for Radio Amateurs'. Most of my questions were answered in the book. With the installation in deep South Texas miles from anywhere it was important to get it right before Don, Joe and the crane arrived. I maybe set a customer e mail record with Don covering every detail of the project. Each and every time a quick response and clarity for me. We had the bases and guy posts in when Joe and Don arrived. We fought heat, wasps and a million horse flies but the job was completed in perfect order. Walked in the shack and couldn't quit working DX while Don and Joe were loading the truck.
These guys are safe and do great work.
Curt Fletcher
WG5H

N3US Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2014 02:54 Send this review to a friend
He Knows His Stuff  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In planning my future Rohn 45G tower installation at my new QTH, Don visited my QTH and provided consultation services. He was awesome and gave me some excellent recommendations on hardware to purchase, installation of guy wires on sloping terrain, foundation design, etc. I had never liked breaking of EHS guy wires but always had done this. Don explained that breaking up guy wires is not necessary unless I had stacked arrays shooting through the guys. He advice was based on his practical experience with hundreds of towers. This will result in a better and far less guying system at my new QTH. Don knew that due to scheduling, I would be using one of his competitors for tower erection but he was still most professional, polite, and friendly.

AE4VJ Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2014 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Very Helpful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I asked Don to come over and help me figure out how and where to guy my Rohn 45G. He was able to come down two days later on a Sunday morning and right on time. He had some good suggestions and after talking for a little bit I remembered some 4 1/2" 21' pipe I had. He said that would be perfect for what I was wanting to do. The front guy anchor was to be placed on a slope and he recommended an elevated guy point for that and how high I should make it. He also provided me with 3 equalizer plates to be welded to the pipe for a VERY reasonable price and put me in contact with someone who could drill the holes quickly and at a great price. I appreciate him taking time to come by lend me some of his expertise. I thought it was a nice gesture of him "giving back" and that everything wasn't about the money. He does seem to lean toward a perfectionist, but I think that's what you're looking for in someone installing either a few hundred or several thousand dollars worth of antenna equipment. I am 100% happy and would recommend him for your tower project even if you want to do the work yourself...its always a good idea to get a professional opinion!

N4UP Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2014 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Work at a Fair Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Don and Joe do excellent work at a fair price. Their experience, expertise, and work ethic are priceless. They solve problems well and really understand what they are doing ( and take the time to help me understand ).

My first serious tower project.

Details --- They installed my new HDX472 motorized 72' crank-up, Orion rotor, and Tennadyne T10.10-30HD LPDA. They also did the foundation, 17 yards of concrete. They made sure everything was working properly, and indeed, everything works very well.

W1MBB Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2014 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Knowledgable professionalable   Time owned: months
Don has helped me erect several large yagi arrays and has come up with clever workarounds that would have halted many others. Don gets the job done! A+

AI4U Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2014 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Get 'er done!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don and Joe helped me install an OB 11-5 on my 70 ft tower..It was tight quarters in my small backyard but with a little frustration the job got done! Thank you Don and Joe for helping me get the OB in the air! IF you need any antenna or tower work done, give K4ZA a call!

KB9AX Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Retirement Planning  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I started planning my new antenna installation several years ago with a goal of having something that would last me well into retirement. As the time to start came closer I did several internet searches for people who could handle job. Donís ( K4ZA ) name came up quite often. He had quite a bit of good advice even before the installation took place. We stayed in contact while I waited for a set of custom feet to be fabricated for the tower. Don arrived and he and Joe started work putting the antennas together. I was impressed with how hard these two guys work, and the installation ended up being all I had hoped for. His knowledge of the antennas and ability to get the ďmissingĒ parts shipped over night came in handy as well.
I can say I would recommend Don and Joe for any installation you may have. Donís prices are very reasonable for the type of work that is being done. Building the C31XR, Delta 230/240, AW3S and 2 meter horizontal beam, then removing the existing antennas and tower, and finally building and erecting the custom AN wireless tower with antenna installation went very smooth.
The tower and antennas have been up now for several months and they perform well. The installation even took our recent 60 to 70mph winds this fall.

K4PV Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2013 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Job for a Three High Multi-Band Stack & Top 40 MTR Yagi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After Reviewing Don Daso's Tower Book I decided that he had Exceptional Experience in this line of work for the most complex of Antenna Projects. Don and his team mate Joe performed an excellent installation on my Rohn 45G 100 foot tower with the installation of a Three (3) high Stack of the new 2X Arrays Multi-Band Yagis, and a fourth Top 2 Element 40 Meter Yagi. This truly is an excellent Single-Tower high performance configuration. In addition, Don installed all new HardLine for all four antennas and a Stack Match for the three high stack of multi-band antennas. Don's experience really became a factor considering such a complex tramming setup due to some trees and other obstructions in the back yard that required an ability to Jump the Tram lines up to four (4) times in order to raise the lower two Multi-Band Yagis. I would highly recommend Don Daso for your future antenna projects.

KJ4ZM Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Great job at an afforable price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a TH-6 which had been in the air for 32 years and wanted to replace it with a Tennadyne T-11. I thought the project would take atleast a whole day. However Don and his sidekick Joe completed the project in less than two hours. These two guys not only work well together,they know what they are doing. And the price was great. Great job.

KA3SDJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2013 15:03 Send this review to a friend
excellence  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don spent 4 hours at the tower top working on my lower HF antenna. There is a 50 foot commercial tower with a 35 foot mast to 85 feet total in the air.There are 7 antennas on the tower and mast combined, 439.25 atv beam antenna at top. 3 vertical antennas and 4 beam antennas total. My lower beam antenna at 55 feet a Cushcraft A4S with a 40 meter add on kit. The driven element is a 40 meter rotatable dipole that is very long and has a nylon support rope to support it. This antenna up since 1991 when I could still climb. Now after22 years the rope had failed and needed replaced as the flexible coax between the tower rota tor and the antenna itself... Don loosened the u-bolts put the element vertical tied on a new rope swung it 180 degrees to attach the other end and then leveled the element. He also wound a very professional balun to match the 40 meters a new budwig connector and new coax installed. I have several medical problems dialysis being one of them and cannot climb any more. I sure am glad to have a professional I can call to do my up in the air tower & antenna work.. I was very pleased with his competitive price and know who I will be calling in the future as I also need some of the other antennas up there repaired. Antenna is working great on all 4 bands and 10m was open Sunday 12/1/2013 and I made Chech Republic, Italy and several England contacts ..It works on all the other bands 15,20 & 40m just like 10m. I am so very happy as now I can talk all over the world again. I highly recommend Don to get the job done. Thanks again Don for a great job. Larry Horst KA3SDJ, Advanced class operator who likes to talk...P.S. He did all this after a contest event and he was half sick .. But he promised and he came through under adverse conditions as it was 18 degrees & the wind was blowing.. now that is a dedicated tower climbing Radio operator K4ZA