Reviews Categories | Tower and Antenna Installers | Don Daso, K4ZA Help

Reviews Summary for Don Daso, K4ZA
Don Daso, K4ZA Reviews: 118 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Within Reason
Description: Tower Works: That title says it allóif you need tower work done, from installation to repair, I can probably help you! With 45 years of ham radio experience, Iíve worked on most every size & make of tower/beam, & specialize in Rohn guyed-towers (25, 45, 55G, etc.). Have a solid mechanical & engineering background (NCJ contributing editor), along with all the necessary skills & tools to install, take down, or repair your system, whether itís 20 or 200-feet high. Reasonable rates, good reviews, & ability to travel.

k4za@juno.com 704 408 7948

More info: http://www.k4za.com

You can write your own review of the Don Daso, K4ZA.

KJ4ZM Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Great job at an afforable price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a TH-6 which had been in the air for 32 years and wanted to replace it with a Tennadyne T-11. I thought the project would take atleast a whole day. However Don and his sidekick Joe completed the project in less than two hours. These two guys not only work well together,they know what they are doing. And the price was great. Great job.

KA3SDJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2013 15:03 Send this review to a friend
excellence  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don spent 4 hours at the tower top working on my lower HF antenna. There is a 50 foot commercial tower with a 35 foot mast to 85 feet total in the air.There are 7 antennas on the tower and mast combined, 439.25 atv beam antenna at top. 3 vertical antennas and 4 beam antennas total. My lower beam antenna at 55 feet a Cushcraft A4S with a 40 meter add on kit. The driven element is a 40 meter rotatable dipole that is very long and has a nylon support rope to support it. This antenna up since 1991 when I could still climb. Now after22 years the rope had failed and needed replaced as the flexible coax between the tower rota tor and the antenna itself... Don loosened the u-bolts put the element vertical tied on a new rope swung it 180 degrees to attach the other end and then leveled the element. He also wound a very professional balun to match the 40 meters a new budwig connector and new coax installed. I have several medical problems dialysis being one of them and cannot climb any more. I sure am glad to have a professional I can call to do my up in the air tower & antenna work.. I was very pleased with his competitive price and know who I will be calling in the future as I also need some of the other antennas up there repaired. Antenna is working great on all 4 bands and 10m was open Sunday 12/1/2013 and I made Chech Republic, Italy and several England contacts ..It works on all the other bands 15,20 & 40m just like 10m. I am so very happy as now I can talk all over the world again. I highly recommend Don to get the job done. Thanks again Don for a great job. Larry Horst KA3SDJ, Advanced class operator who likes to talk...P.S. He did all this after a contest event and he was half sick .. But he promised and he came through under adverse conditions as it was 18 degrees & the wind was blowing.. now that is a dedicated tower climbing Radio operator K4ZA

W9YE Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2013 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Highly experienced, honest, and creative  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for someone to help with swapping out my Hexbeam for a conventional (and heavier) Yagi atop my existing medium duty crank up tubular-type tower. Having seen references elsewhere to a "rotator cage" for the purpose of alleviating some of the potential stress on the rotator itself with this type of tower design, I sent an email off to Don. The response was prompt: "yes, I have fabricated those before for people." A couple more email exchanges with pictures, and it was finished. The best part is that Don dropped it off at my QTH while in the area doing work for another customer, thereby reducing shipping fees. The finished product is robust and works well. While here at my QTH, Don also made several helpful suggestions on various methods of getting the new beam in place, which was ultimately accomplished with a local ham's help the following weekend. Last but not least, Don just "happened" to have a copy of his book, "Antenna Towers for Radio Amateurs", with him in the truck. This is highly recommended reading for any type of tower installation being contemplated. Thanks, Don!

N0SSC Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Work for a University Club  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don and crew did us a fantastic job installing new beams on a 50' guyed Rohn 25 tower atop a 3 story building. The most complicated part, was that this was a University building, so insurance was a big deal. This was no problem for Don, which was great.

The installation took place over a few days as they were around doing other work, and aside from some last minute orders, the job went smooth as butter. Everything worked and tuned up nicely first time it was plugged in.

The crew really knew what they were doing compared to other climber services we've had in the past. The pricing was very good, compared those same "other guys" who had ridiculous quotes and was generally not interested in the work, or had no clue what a gin pole was.

Don on the other hand was very experienced, and communicated his needs very well to us, but still, they were very well prepared and safe.

If we ever need work done again (or an ice storm wreaks havoc once again hihi) we'll be calling Don back.

Sterling, N0SSC
Missouri S&T Amateur Radio Club, W0EEE

N0AX Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2013 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Professional Service and Advice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don and Joe just finished installing three 60-foot towers and helped refurbish some used beams and install them. The job was done professionally and solidly. Some notes:

I particularly liked that Don was watching out for my best interests: removing a rotten tree, better ways to do some of the grounding, etc. I've worked with contractors before that simply do what you request, no matter if it is stoopid or will lead to problems later.

Don and Joe are quite good at adapting to on-the-ground circumstances and very resourceful. I noticed lots of instances in which they were able to carry on the work even though something was different than expected. Don almost always had a stock of the right parts to make changes and do the job safely in another way.

I appreciate them teaching me some of the skills of rigging and guying - I now know enough to be dangerous :-) Seriously, I'll get a set of decent gear in order to be able to maintain the antenna farm although I don't think I'm going to go into the tower business!

Don's feedback during the pre-visit phase was particularly valuable and helped me make some decisions about siting, concrete work, guy points, and so forth. I'm glad we used a boom truck to lift the assembled towers into place as that turned out to be very cost-effective compared to section-by-section building.

N4CEA Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2013 17:11 Send this review to a friend
praise   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had seen Don and his crew do tower work in the past with great results so when I needed help I called Don. Don has the know how and the right equipment to do the job. Don and Joe did a great job with my Mosley Pro 57 and tower work. I called Don for his experience and quality work. Pricing was very fair and his response time to complete the job was great. Job well done, tnx Don

K4EAR Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2013 12:19 Send this review to a friend
The guys hit the ground running!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don and his sidekick, Joe,installed the 70ft of 45G and a CushCraft XM-240 without a hitch. The tramming setup was a sight to behold and we checked the beam out about 30ft high with an analyzer, lowered and disconnected the coax and went to the top. A real pro and a really friendly guy. This was my second installation using Don and crew, and a real pleasure to work with!!!

N4VLQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2013 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Mosley Beam Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don's experience and knowledge can't be beat. What I thought was a simple matter of replacing/tightening a few missing/loose screws turned into a somewhat more complex opportunity once Don got a closer look and he identified the real problem. Where I would have just patched things back together Don was more thorough and improved my overall situation. Don comes well outfitted and prepared. Regardless what antenna/tower challenge you are facing, I recommend Don.

N4REC Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2013 19:49 Send this review to a friend
One Happy Camper  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since putting up fifty feet of Rohn 25 as a twenty-something in Atlanta during the eighties, I've longed for something better. Years later, with seven acres to play with, things fell into place. I obtained a copy of Don Daso's tower book with the intention of taking the DIY approach, but quickly realized that time constraints would prohibit installation of the system in a timely fashion. Enter an email to Don... and instead of dreaming about a tower and beam, I'm now the proud owner of such a system!

Don reviewed emailed photos of a used commercial Rohn SSV tower I had located nearby. Based on his opinion I purchased the tower and regalvanized it. Don surveyed the tower site, fabricated the needed hardware for the project, and provided the details for the base and guy holes. Based on my needs, he recommended topping the tower with a log periodic. On erection day, Don and his partner worked tirelessly to turn the piles of cold steel and aluminum that lay in my field into a thing of beauty! The crane lifts went without a hitch, and Don's experience made it a problem-free day.

Don could fill textbooks with the knowledge of towers and antennas that he carries in his thumb alone! If you want to relax, and watch your system go up right the first time, I suggest you give Tower Works a call. Don knows best!

73, N4REC

N0EKB Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 07:35 Send this review to a friend
pole work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have known Don for many years, through his help with area hams installing beams on their towers. My legs and back are just about useless and I needed someone to install pulleys to existing utility poles I use for long wire antennas. I gave Don a call, and even though he indicated he preferred CLIMBING towers he agreed to put my pulleys up on three poles via long ladders. The work is done, Don works methodically and with great knowledge and safety.
Thank you Don .