Reviews Categories | Tower and Antenna Installers | Don Daso, K4ZA Help

Reviews Summary for Don Daso, K4ZA
Don Daso, K4ZA Reviews: 115 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Within Reason
Description: Tower Works: That title says it allóif you need tower work done, from installation to repair, I can probably help you! With 45 years of ham radio experience, Iíve worked on most every size & make of tower/beam, & specialize in Rohn guyed-towers (25, 45, 55G, etc.). Have a solid mechanical & engineering background (NCJ contributing editor), along with all the necessary skills & tools to install, take down, or repair your system, whether itís 20 or 200-feet high. Reasonable rates, good reviews, & ability to travel.

k4za@juno.com 704 408 7948

More info: http://www.k4za.com

You can write your own review of the Don Daso, K4ZA.

N5TSP Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2010 11:16 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don was in the area servicing some large installations nearby and worked me into his busy schedule. I needed to stack a couple of six meter antennas--something beyond what I felt comfortable doing myself, and Don told me exactly what I needed to have ready on site to do the job when he showed up.

The big day arrived and Don arrived with with the right professional gear to do the job efficiently and safely: it became clear quickly that he is very experienced with this type of work. He communicates well, is very friendly and competent, and I would definately have him back.

If you are contemplating a job you know is beyond your physical capabilities and experience, call Don and let him do it right. You'll be glad you did.

K1TO Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
*The* Expert  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When the experts need help, who do they call? Being relatively new to the business, and knowing what Don brings to the table, it was an easy call for the A1 Tower Service to sub-contract Don, K4ZA to assist us with the takedown of a damaged 80M beam from a 200' tower. As it turned out, Don even had experience with this specific model on several occasions and thus was able to lend practical knowledge to the job.

In the process of rescuing this antenna, several approaches were employed and Don's innovation helped a lot. The ultimate solution involved a crane and man-basket, which Don proceeded to outfit with a custom solution, making our takedown efforts easier. Don has accumulated a great array of tools that sure made things move along more smoothly.

I get people telling me "Book em, Danno" (old Hawaii 5-0 reference) all the time, but actually
it is Don who is coming out with the definitive ARRL book on amateur radio towers.

We'll happily employ Don again when the situation calls for it.

73, Dan, K1TO
Owner, A1 Tower Service

K5KC Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don Daso K4ZA did an excellent and highly successful job at my QTH recently. My 200 pound 80M 2-element yagi at 200+ feet had to come down for repair. We e-mailed back and forth, beginning in January 2010. He was very responsive, and we talked about details of the site, the antenna setup, and what needed to be done. His visit to my QTH was scheduled for late April in hopes of friendly weather. Since I wanted to have on hand the main equipment needed to remove and replace beam antennas, Don provided me very explicit guidance about specific equipment he recommended Ė right down to the URL. This was most helpful, and as we used my equipment (winch, ropes, tram cable, etc.), I learned that what Don recommended was really first class.

The big day arrived as Don flew in late one night from a BIG job at another station. He went right to work the next morning. Unfortunately, the weather was cold, windy, and with a few drops of rain. All of the ground work was completed to tram down the antenna. This was very efficiently done. Then, we finally got a bit of a weather break and Don went up the tower and gave instructions to the ground crew. We were able to safely get the beam down, despite some antenna balance problems and uncomfortable winds, especially at the top of the tower. Fortunately, Don knew exactly what to do to bring the big antenna down safely. It was not easy, but it was highly successful. Once on the ground, Don replaced the problem part that was the main reason for bringing down the beam. But, I also wanted some additional work done on the antenna and, as one might guess, it turned out to be difficult to do. Don again went to work, doing considerable field re-engineering on the antenna. Being an engineer myself, I was very interested in, and pleased with, the re-design, and the modified antenna went back up smoothly. It is working absolutely fine.

So, whatís the bottom line? I was very pleased with the work of Don Daso. He communicated well, was very reliable, worked hard and safely, shared his knowledge (despite my many naÔve questions), was creative, was clearly competent about towers and antennas, and did not attempt to break the bank. The VERY bottom line is that I would definitely have him back! If you need help, get in line. Don is worth it.

N4QT Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 06:35 Send this review to a friend
The best!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It was time to refurbish my 14 year old crankup Aluma tower. Also time to tighten all bolts on my 10 year old Mosley MP-33WARC 4 element beam. We also replaced my 14 year old Yaesu rotator(still working) with a new fresh Yaesu rotator. We restrung all cables on the tower replaced the rotator and made sure the beam was in good shape. All work was done in a very professional manner. Don had to rewire the cable contacts on the new control box. Yaesu has installed a useless cable connector on the control box. Don replaced this useless plug with a strip screw connector for the cable. Works great. I recommend Don without any reservations. He has many years of experience in antenna and tower work. If you can get him to your QTH you will get a first class installation!

K2SD Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2009 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Difficult installation? - Don Daso will solve your problem!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've known Don ever since he moved to Charlotte in 1984. He's always been the local "go to" tower guy, so I was not surprised to learn he'd begun doing such work in a professional sense---getting PAID for it, after a corporate layoff. Ten years ago, he gladly came up to our new QTH in the NC mountains, after my retirement, and installed my Hy-Gain stack. But this year, those antennas finally began developing problems (after 30+ years, why not?), so the decision was made to replace them with a Tennadyne T-10 log periodic, providing me extended band coverage, too. My tower is situated on a steep hill (probably a 20-degree slope), and my yard is very small. But he managed to build most of the antenna in the yard anyway, and then complete assembly up on the tower. He and his helper were able to corkscrew it around the guy wires and get it up and on the mast. Don had also refurbished my old Ham IV rotator. He knows what he's doing, has all the necessary tools and gear, and can probably solve any problem you throw at him. Reasonable rates and his willingness to travel make him my choice for tower/antenna work!

N3KS Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2009 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a rotor replaced at the top of an HD-90 tower, and hoped to get it done before SS this year. Don graciously worked his schedule to fit my short notice job around other jobs he was committed to in my area, and made timely and excellent work of a logistically difficult setup of mine. Nothing went wrong, everything works great, there's not much more to say. I highly recommend K4ZA's services.
Kam N3KS

WA4OBO Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2009 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Tower Removal  Time owned: more than 12 months
I needed my Rohn 45 tower removed from my house. In looking at the job, Don discovered that 2 of the legs had rusted through!! We were faced with one of 2 choices, a big crane to lift it all out and ways or rebuilding the base. Don built a form and poured new concrete for a new base, totally enclosing the broken legs. 30 days later, he removed the beam and dismantled the tower. He then rented a jackhammer and broke up the new concrete base leaving the original low profile base in place. He hauled away the concrete pieces, and even bought the tower for later resale. Labor intensive, but simple and SAFE! When next I need tower work done Don Daso will get the job. I highly recommend Don for any tower work that you might have!!

K4FJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2009 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Great work  Time owned: months
Don has done work for me in the past and it always pleased me.

He is a professional and knows how to get around difficult situations.

You will not be disappointed with Don's work.

73, Steve, K4FJ

K2XX Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2009 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Help with My Vertical Installation!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am in the midst of installing a used aluminum tower for use as a vertical. Not surprisingly, I ran into some problems in the reassembly of misaligned sections, etc.

After struggling for two days with one particular section, I thought of consulting via e-mail with Don, who is a member of my club, the Carolina DXA. Although we had never met in person, he got back to me immediately via e-mail and telephone even while he was on the road in the middle of a major installation. His suggestion to use a ratcheted cargo tape strap to assist in aligning the section legs worked perfectly and allowed me to complete the reassembly of the tower.

He further provided me with some great suggestions, based on his extensive experience, regarding other issues associated with my installation. His e-mailed responses to my questions were prompt and detailed.

Based on my experiences, I can unhesitatingly recommend Don if you're considering some kind of major or minor tower work.

W4NF Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2009 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Rotor Replacement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had planned accordingly when I put up the tower 10 years ago for the eventual replacement of the rotor. However, I had hoped it would last longer than 10 years. While my basement, bar, wine cellar and Ham Shack were under construction for a over a year the top rotor was not turned. When I finally got everything set back up the top rotor did not have enough torque to turn the mast with the build up of rust between the mast and the 25G pointy top tube. I had read Don's articles and reviews and knew he was the guy to call. In about two hours on the tower he changed out the rotor, disloged the rust and had the whole array turning like new. He then helped re-plumb the tower and checked all the guy tensions. Don did an excellent job and now I'm ready for those sunspots again. I highly recommend his services.