Reviews Categories | Tower and Antenna Installers | Don Daso, K4ZA Help

Reviews Summary for Don Daso, K4ZA
Don Daso, K4ZA Reviews: 122 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Within Reason
Description: Tower Works: That title says it allóif you need tower work done, from installation to repair, I can probably help you! With 45 years of ham radio experience, Iíve worked on most every size & make of tower/beam, & specialize in Rohn guyed-towers (25, 45, 55G, etc.). Have a solid mechanical & engineering background (NCJ contributing editor), along with all the necessary skills & tools to install, take down, or repair your system, whether itís 20 or 200-feet high. Reasonable rates, good reviews, & ability to travel.

k4za@juno.com 704 408 7948

More info: http://www.k4za.com

You can write your own review of the Don Daso, K4ZA.

WB4YDL Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2010 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent & Professional  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two years ago next month, this area endured the historic and terrible ice storm of 2009. This took down my antennas with 2" of radial ice and bent a 3/8" thick chromolly mast like a twig. I was able to get my 72' crank up back up and lightened its load. I then went to a new Rohn 45 tower for the 20/40M stack. I was advised by the good folks on Towertalk to seek the aid of one Don K4ZA. My initial contact with him was simply a call for advice. After discussing my situation with friends in TCG, I decided to go for much more than advice. Don proceeded to procure tower for me at a discount and put me on his schedule. I had a LOT to do to plan this major expansion of my station. Don emailed me answers to my numerous questions and eventually the big day(s) came when he arrived with all the tower sections in tow.

First he addressed my crank-up tower and its balky TIC ring rotator. After a frustrating day of troubleshooting, it turned out to be a problem with both the Green Heron Controller and the TIC motor ! After this was taken care of, he got right to work on the new tower, the base of which was 150 feet from the crank-up. The 120 feet of Rohn 45 went up without a hitch. Then there was the matter of a VERY large Force 12 MAG 620/340 weighing over 300 lbs. on a 44 foot boom. He advised the use of a crane which was brought here 65 miles away. It all went very, very well. The second antenna in the stack was the rebuilt former MAG 620/340 from before the ice storm. It was in about 5 pieces and I spent the better part of a year rebuilding it with the help of the great folks at Force 12. This was the older, smaller version with linear loading wires. This antenna now resides at 60 feet on a TIC ring rotator. Don had some issues with this ring - he had done several of these before but didn't understand that the triangle TIC frame MUST be rotated counter-clockwise in order for the motor to attach and engage correctly. He couldn't get it the first go around here and had to leave. But after a job in IL, he came back through to correct the problem the week before Christmas ! At NO charge ! After we looked at the issue and drew pictures, he was able to correct the problem and all was well.

This was a complex undertaking spanning the better part of a year that took lot's of planning to execute. The final tab was VERY reasonable and, oh, he bought the straight part of the bent mast from the ice storm and an unused antenna switch. Without reservation, I give him my highest recommendation. I even scored a signed copy of his new tower book !

N4HB Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Job at Reasonable Rates  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don, K4ZA, recently removed an old 80-foot ďHeightsĒ, aluminum, self-supporting tower for me that was fully loaded with a HF tri-bander and a number of large VHF/UHF arrays. The tower had been in use for over 40 years. It was painful to see it go, but it was time! Don is a tower professional who keeps a well-stocked truck of tools and materials that can handle just about any tower service for amateurs. My tower was challenging, but Don got it down safely and without a hitch. Iím now looking at using him to help me with my new towers at my new QTH. If you need first-class service at a reasonable rate, heís the guy.

K0KL Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2010 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Great service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don just left having done an excellent job cleaning up after lightening. New rotor head, rewire, replace VHF vertical at top of 90 foot tower. Very competent, good to work with and reasonable rates.
The rotor change out was made difficult by a heavy array and mast. No problem for Don. I would recommend to anyone needing tower services

W4RM Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2010 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Job working in a tight location  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don did a great job yesterday working in my M2 Rotor. The rotor had some issues and was located at 105ft just above a 1032 Tic ring rotor and the top guy wire. This was a very hard repair as the M2 rotor was in a very tight place and difficult to work on.
Don completed the job in just over two hour and provided a very reasonable cost for the difficulty of the repair.
I would recommend Donís tower service to anyone needing tower repair.

K9MBQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2010 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Short Notice Assist  Time owned: months
In moving my TX-472MDPL to a new QTH, discovered a cable/tower rubbing problem. I called Don for advice and counsel and even though he was booked, he stopped by that same day to lend a hand. His knowledgeable and timely assist and assesment was greatly appreciated and provided the basis for next steps. I will call Don for future work.
Alan K9MBQ

WB4SQC Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2010 10:32 Send this review to a friend
AI0O Quarter wave 160m Tower Install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don & I installed a full 160M/quarter wave HOT Tower in Ashland, MO along with Rob Helmka, AI0O the owner and did some 40M antenna repairs.
I thought I was very knowledgeable about working with tower installs, but then there was Don Daso,
K4ZA (Tower Works). I can only respect Don's experience in rigging and safety, not to mention
how much I learned from his experience while helping on the install. When we resolved that the
2el.40M Cushcraft/mfJ??? could not be fixed on the tower, we lowered it to find that the Manufacturer had used enameled wire EXCLUSIVELY for the traps/coils. No bare copper touching at all! The traps were under heat shrink as a protection against the elements of weather & the view from the buyer, we had to scrape the enamel off to get continuity! A lot off work had to be done because of such a minor detail visibly as it came from the antenna manufacturer, Cuschcraft/MFJ. It makes you wonder about MFJ.

2 thumbs up for Don Daso, K4ZA!

de,
Benny,
Robert B. Peterson, WB4SQC

K3SGB Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2010 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: months
After a friend became a Silent Key and it became necessary to take down his old and dangerously overloaded tower, no one was willing to take on this job. That is, until we found Don. Laboring under difficult circumstances (soft ground, cramped area, etc.), Don worked a very long day and got it done. In fact, when he left you couldn't even tell a tower and guying system had ever been there. Moreover, he carted away every single bit of the old installation. The family was delighted with Don's work, professional and friendly manner and, needless to say, would recommend him to any ham in need of tower work!

N5TSP Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2010 11:16 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don was in the area servicing some large installations nearby and worked me into his busy schedule. I needed to stack a couple of six meter antennas--something beyond what I felt comfortable doing myself, and Don told me exactly what I needed to have ready on site to do the job when he showed up.

The big day arrived and Don arrived with with the right professional gear to do the job efficiently and safely: it became clear quickly that he is very experienced with this type of work. He communicates well, is very friendly and competent, and I would definately have him back.

If you are contemplating a job you know is beyond your physical capabilities and experience, call Don and let him do it right. You'll be glad you did.

K1TO Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
*The* Expert  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When the experts need help, who do they call? Being relatively new to the business, and knowing what Don brings to the table, it was an easy call for the A1 Tower Service to sub-contract Don, K4ZA to assist us with the takedown of a damaged 80M beam from a 200' tower. As it turned out, Don even had experience with this specific model on several occasions and thus was able to lend practical knowledge to the job.

In the process of rescuing this antenna, several approaches were employed and Don's innovation helped a lot. The ultimate solution involved a crane and man-basket, which Don proceeded to outfit with a custom solution, making our takedown efforts easier. Don has accumulated a great array of tools that sure made things move along more smoothly.

I get people telling me "Book em, Danno" (old Hawaii 5-0 reference) all the time, but actually
it is Don who is coming out with the definitive ARRL book on amateur radio towers.

We'll happily employ Don again when the situation calls for it.

73, Dan, K1TO
Owner, A1 Tower Service

K5KC Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don Daso K4ZA did an excellent and highly successful job at my QTH recently. My 200 pound 80M 2-element yagi at 200+ feet had to come down for repair. We e-mailed back and forth, beginning in January 2010. He was very responsive, and we talked about details of the site, the antenna setup, and what needed to be done. His visit to my QTH was scheduled for late April in hopes of friendly weather. Since I wanted to have on hand the main equipment needed to remove and replace beam antennas, Don provided me very explicit guidance about specific equipment he recommended Ė right down to the URL. This was most helpful, and as we used my equipment (winch, ropes, tram cable, etc.), I learned that what Don recommended was really first class.

The big day arrived as Don flew in late one night from a BIG job at another station. He went right to work the next morning. Unfortunately, the weather was cold, windy, and with a few drops of rain. All of the ground work was completed to tram down the antenna. This was very efficiently done. Then, we finally got a bit of a weather break and Don went up the tower and gave instructions to the ground crew. We were able to safely get the beam down, despite some antenna balance problems and uncomfortable winds, especially at the top of the tower. Fortunately, Don knew exactly what to do to bring the big antenna down safely. It was not easy, but it was highly successful. Once on the ground, Don replaced the problem part that was the main reason for bringing down the beam. But, I also wanted some additional work done on the antenna and, as one might guess, it turned out to be difficult to do. Don again went to work, doing considerable field re-engineering on the antenna. Being an engineer myself, I was very interested in, and pleased with, the re-design, and the modified antenna went back up smoothly. It is working absolutely fine.

So, whatís the bottom line? I was very pleased with the work of Don Daso. He communicated well, was very reliable, worked hard and safely, shared his knowledge (despite my many naÔve questions), was creative, was clearly competent about towers and antennas, and did not attempt to break the bank. The VERY bottom line is that I would definitely have him back! If you need help, get in line. Don is worth it.