Reviews Categories | Tower and Antenna Installers | Don Daso, K4ZA Help

Reviews Summary for Don Daso, K4ZA
Don Daso, K4ZA Reviews: 126 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Within Reason
Description: Tower Works: That title says it allóif you need tower work done, from installation to repair, I can probably help you! With 45 years of ham radio experience, Iíve worked on most every size & make of tower/beam, & specialize in Rohn guyed-towers (25, 45, 55G, etc.). Have a solid mechanical & engineering background (NCJ contributing editor), along with all the necessary skills & tools to install, take down, or repair your system, whether itís 20 or 200-feet high. Reasonable rates, good reviews, & ability to travel.

k4za@juno.com 704 408 7948

More info: http://www.k4za.com

You can write your own review of the Don Daso, K4ZA.

K5MR Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2011 18:27 Send this review to a friend
quality workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don along with assistance from John, W2GD took down 8 towers ranging in height from 200 ft to 45 ft and 14 large HF yagis when my antenna farm was sold. The job was done right and on schedule. Don is very knowledgeable and has the right tower tools to get the job done in an efficient and safe fashion. I highly recommend Don for any tower and antenna work, large or small.

KF4TP Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2011 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Great job taking down Tri-Bander and replacing with 3L SteppIR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don,K4ZA ,in my books,the best qualified Tower and Antenna ''guy''I can think of.--

I wanted to replace my TH-3 Tri-Bander with a 3L SteppIR.--The tower,85ft of Rohn#25 had all kinds of''Low Band'' wires hanging from it,making it difficult to ''tram ''the antennas.-
After surveying the situation,Don fabricated a ''PVRC Mount'' overnight,so that the SteppIR could go up Boom and Elements one at a time and be assembled at the top of the tower.

Unexpectidly,,the old mast had to be changed to make it fit.Don had the solutions and the parts to get the job done in a very professional way.

In the end,everything went without a hitch and the job turned out perfect.--Great job---

W7WZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2011 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Solid professional  Time owned: months
Don Daso, K4ZA has earned my highest respect and recommendation for tower and antenna installation and consulting services. We do not always agree and occasionally things do not go as expected. Since he is a few years older and has much more experience, I accept his advice almost always.

My project scope included two Rohn 45G guyed towers at 100 feet each. A Force12 C31XR is mounted on one and a Force12 240N is on the other.

Don's experience and tools were extremely valuable in safely errecting the towers and raising large antennas. We love his winch, gin pole, come a longs, pulleys, long ropes, loos gauge and klein grips just to mention a few of the special things he brings. While all this stuff is readily available, Don's skill and judgement are what really brings value to the project. I climb and I have used all these tools on doing 6 towers in the past. I also know my limits. Don has tremendous experience working in tight areas using cranes, the corkscrew method and traming big antennas up safely. Don is a professional who does this work all the time. He can generally accomplish tasks in half the time it takes hams with limited experience. His communication skills and empathy set him apart from others. He is a very active ham himself with experience at the biggest and best tower installations around. Oh and his rates are pretty reasonalbe for what he brings to the project. Don will be working with us on phase 2 of our little project. He is a solid professional.

K8MFO Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2011 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Lots of Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don has been working on antennas and towers for a long time. He has the experience, knowledge, equipment, and know how to make your project a success. He does it all in a safe manner.

If you can't figure out what to do, or how to do it, then Don may be your answer.

WB4YDL Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2010 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent & Professional  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two years ago next month, this area endured the historic and terrible ice storm of 2009. This took down my antennas with 2" of radial ice and bent a 3/8" thick chromolly mast like a twig. I was able to get my 72' crank up back up and lightened its load. I then went to a new Rohn 45 tower for the 20/40M stack. I was advised by the good folks on Towertalk to seek the aid of one Don K4ZA. My initial contact with him was simply a call for advice. After discussing my situation with friends in TCG, I decided to go for much more than advice. Don proceeded to procure tower for me at a discount and put me on his schedule. I had a LOT to do to plan this major expansion of my station. Don emailed me answers to my numerous questions and eventually the big day(s) came when he arrived with all the tower sections in tow.

First he addressed my crank-up tower and its balky TIC ring rotator. After a frustrating day of troubleshooting, it turned out to be a problem with both the Green Heron Controller and the TIC motor ! After this was taken care of, he got right to work on the new tower, the base of which was 150 feet from the crank-up. The 120 feet of Rohn 45 went up without a hitch. Then there was the matter of a VERY large Force 12 MAG 620/340 weighing over 300 lbs. on a 44 foot boom. He advised the use of a crane which was brought here 65 miles away. It all went very, very well. The second antenna in the stack was the rebuilt former MAG 620/340 from before the ice storm. It was in about 5 pieces and I spent the better part of a year rebuilding it with the help of the great folks at Force 12. This was the older, smaller version with linear loading wires. This antenna now resides at 60 feet on a TIC ring rotator. Don had some issues with this ring - he had done several of these before but didn't understand that the triangle TIC frame MUST be rotated counter-clockwise in order for the motor to attach and engage correctly. He couldn't get it the first go around here and had to leave. But after a job in IL, he came back through to correct the problem the week before Christmas ! At NO charge ! After we looked at the issue and drew pictures, he was able to correct the problem and all was well.

This was a complex undertaking spanning the better part of a year that took lot's of planning to execute. The final tab was VERY reasonable and, oh, he bought the straight part of the bent mast from the ice storm and an unused antenna switch. Without reservation, I give him my highest recommendation. I even scored a signed copy of his new tower book !

N4HB Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Job at Reasonable Rates  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don, K4ZA, recently removed an old 80-foot ďHeightsĒ, aluminum, self-supporting tower for me that was fully loaded with a HF tri-bander and a number of large VHF/UHF arrays. The tower had been in use for over 40 years. It was painful to see it go, but it was time! Don is a tower professional who keeps a well-stocked truck of tools and materials that can handle just about any tower service for amateurs. My tower was challenging, but Don got it down safely and without a hitch. Iím now looking at using him to help me with my new towers at my new QTH. If you need first-class service at a reasonable rate, heís the guy.

K0KL Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2010 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Great service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don just left having done an excellent job cleaning up after lightening. New rotor head, rewire, replace VHF vertical at top of 90 foot tower. Very competent, good to work with and reasonable rates.
The rotor change out was made difficult by a heavy array and mast. No problem for Don. I would recommend to anyone needing tower services

W4RM Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2010 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Job working in a tight location  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don did a great job yesterday working in my M2 Rotor. The rotor had some issues and was located at 105ft just above a 1032 Tic ring rotor and the top guy wire. This was a very hard repair as the M2 rotor was in a very tight place and difficult to work on.
Don completed the job in just over two hour and provided a very reasonable cost for the difficulty of the repair.
I would recommend Donís tower service to anyone needing tower repair.

K9MBQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2010 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Short Notice Assist  Time owned: months
In moving my TX-472MDPL to a new QTH, discovered a cable/tower rubbing problem. I called Don for advice and counsel and even though he was booked, he stopped by that same day to lend a hand. His knowledgeable and timely assist and assesment was greatly appreciated and provided the basis for next steps. I will call Don for future work.
Alan K9MBQ

WB4SQC Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2010 10:32 Send this review to a friend
AI0O Quarter wave 160m Tower Install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don & I installed a full 160M/quarter wave HOT Tower in Ashland, MO along with Rob Helmka, AI0O the owner and did some 40M antenna repairs.
I thought I was very knowledgeable about working with tower installs, but then there was Don Daso,
K4ZA (Tower Works). I can only respect Don's experience in rigging and safety, not to mention
how much I learned from his experience while helping on the install. When we resolved that the
2el.40M Cushcraft/mfJ??? could not be fixed on the tower, we lowered it to find that the Manufacturer had used enameled wire EXCLUSIVELY for the traps/coils. No bare copper touching at all! The traps were under heat shrink as a protection against the elements of weather & the view from the buyer, we had to scrape the enamel off to get continuity! A lot off work had to be done because of such a minor detail visibly as it came from the antenna manufacturer, Cuschcraft/MFJ. It makes you wonder about MFJ.

2 thumbs up for Don Daso, K4ZA!

de,