Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | AvMap Geosat 4T Help

Reviews Summary for AvMap Geosat 4T
AvMap Geosat 4T Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$799
Description: G4T has a large 5" display that is easy to read in bright sunshine. It has all the features of other high-end GPSs, plus this one is compatible with the Kenwood D700 and D7A radios, so the APRS icons processed by the GPS.
More info: http://geosat.us

You can write your own review of the AvMap Geosat 4T.

KA2SEY Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2009 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine at KJI Electronic's Almost three years now. This GPS is absolutely fabulous. Often out on the road doing shows for my embroidery business and it has only on one or two occassions develope a hick-up. Maybe asked me to make a left/right turn on a one way street, some which I knew from the past had be going in the other direction. Now had been changed. The company itself has great support via their website, and it is just an quick registration process, which provides the latest updates. And what can I say... Gene at KJI has always been a great support. Recall one time the it locked up on the road ... gave him a call and he talked me though the re-boot, which I couldn't remember somewhere along 84 on my way to New Hampshire. Hasn't ever happen again! Of course I know better now - for the price and the support - I would not trade this GPS in for any other - Well maybe the G5 ... anyways - 73

K0WJ Rating: 2/5 Aug 13, 2008 15:45 Send this review to a friend
It's the little things that count  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the G4T since I bought it in Dayton in 2006. I never really had used any other GPS unit before I bought the G4T. The screen impressed me and the fact that it would put tracked objects on the screen as instructed by the attached D-700. It does all of that very well. Where it falls woefully short is in the ease of setting up a route. Most functions use the joystick and it is very touchy and not at all conducive to a pleasant experience. I got so frustrated that I bought a Garmin Nuvi 660 and was shocked that a GPS product could be so easy to use. I also bought a GPS-710 (http://www.greenlightlabs.com/gps-710/) and solved all my tracking problems.

The battery life is very poor - an hour at best and the Garmin is 7 hours. There are a few other nagging issues that all have work-arounds, but there shouldn't have to be work-arounds - I have no problems with the Garmin and have more usable features as well (Bluetooth, touch screen, FM transmitter, etc.) all for few dollars that the G4T.

Hopefully the successor to the G4T solved many of the problems, but the price for what you get is still WAY out of line.

If I had it to do over again, I'd spend the $800 on a Garmin with enough left over for several tanks of gas.

K2MIT Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2007 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product; Amazing support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw this unit at Dayton two years ago and didn't buy it since it didn't show call signs on the display.

Now, the unit does bi-directional operation (it sends GPS data to a Kenwood D-700 as well as show other APRS stations on the display), I bought it at last Dayton.

I was using a GPS V (small 2" (or so) B&W screen) with my D-700 but after setting this unit up, I am going to be pulling my car apart again.

The unit comes out of the box with the Kenwood cable and a supplementary instruction manual for using APRS functions.

I got my unit working in 5 minutes but I couldn't see the other stations on the beautiful 5" screen.

I sent an e-mail to Don, the guy who imports these units, expecting to get an answer on Monday (it was the weekend). I got an answer in less than 10 minutes!

(My problem was it is a 4-pole connection and I thought it was in all the way but it needed to be pressed it slightly more).

K7GPS Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2006 09:37 Send this review to a friend
GPSs for APRS keep getting better!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have every variety of GPS and have integrated them all with my APRS activities. The best mobile solution I've had so far are with the new AvMap GeoSat 4 Travel, or G4T for short. It's prominent feature is a 5" color display. It has voice assisted navigation, built-in USA database on an SD card, with Canada on the included DVD. The cable attaching to the D700 is included, so it's ready to go right out of the box. The G4T sports all the latest features found in other high-end GPSs, but like I said, the 5" display is what will impress you the most. About the next best deal is the Garmin Street Pilot III Color, which has a 3" screen, but is bulkier and now discontinued. More info on the http://nwaprs.info web site. Dave