Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | OptiBeam OB16-5 (high performance 16el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10 Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB16-5 (high performance 16el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10
OptiBeam OB16-5 (high performance 16el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $3274. USD
Description: Description: The biggest Yagi in the family of the OptiBeam fivebanders.
Performant Yagi designed as interlaced monobanders for 20/15/10m plus high efficient "hidden sleeve element technique" for 17/12m.
Loss free broad band OptiBeam driver feed system reqires only one single 50 Ohm coax.
Optimized computer designed German Yagi without traps and with full size elements. High gain and f/b ratio on all bands.
The OB16-5 has 4el on 20, 4el on 17, 4el wide spaced on 15, 4el wide spaced on 12 and 8 el on 10 meters on a 10.10 meter boom.
No switching, no tuning, no flexible parts, an absolute trouble free performer !
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB16-5 (high performance 16el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10.

DL9JON Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2014 10:05 Send this review to a friend
It is a weapon  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using this antenna since february.
The assembly was very easy. All parts are labeled.
The quality is outstanding.

Unbelievable how i crack the biggest pile ups.
Worked TX6G from 20-10m in CW and SSB.
I call 2 to 3 times my call and I am in the log.
It works excellent, especially at large distances.
I hadn't so much fun, when i am hunting for DX.

Look at the pictures on my page at www.qrz.com.
I'm using 500-700 watts and the antenna is only 11m up on my tower.

Outstanding service and great job Thomas (DF2BlueOcean).

73 de Heiko, DL9JON

VK5BM Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2013 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best, Well Done Tom!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
So I bought this Optibeam over 2 years ago, and no report has been written as it has only finally just got up in the air at our new location in North Eastern Victoria in Australia. We moved from South Australia and all the towers, antennas and equipment went with us,including Toms new in the box Optibeam. What a job moving 1100kms!!!! So this week was finally the week that the world famous Optibeam antenna went up and all I can say is Wow!!!
It is an amazing antenna in so many ways and if your serious about an antenna for any band that is world class, Optibeam is really your only choice. (and believe me, I have tried them all and could list the failures but may be sued if I did publically.) Long after you forget the price, the antenna is still working and burning signals worldwide. After large arrays with round booms of other brands that cracked, and other issues that I have endured, I can see that the OB16-5 is incredible in just two days is fast superior and I have watched it in some horrendous winds. This antenna just performs incredibly and copes easily with the strong winds we regularly endure. Look at the Optibeam series of antennas very seriously as they are serious antennas...
We have the OB 2-80+ 80m 2 element and the OB 17-4 17 element going up next week at 100' so looking forward to writing reviews on both. I can say this, they are nearly finished being built and if you take the time to read the paperwork, you will find it very straight forward. Tom goes into incredible detail, but please focus on actually reading the paperwork in a quiet room first to familiarize yourself with the gameplan for your installation. I didn't on my first build and a very patient Tom helped me when I was confused but the next two optibeams have been built strictly to the manual and have gone without a hitch. Great instructions Tom!!!
Thank you Tom, especially for your patience with me, dont ever stop making antennas, the ham radio community world-wide needs you!!!

W7AV Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2012 16:08 Send this review to a friend
WOW Performance!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All I can say is WOW(over my old XR-5)!! I've had this antenna up for only a few days but it's a whole new world on the ham bands for me. With conditions as poor as they are (ss 122 and K Index at 12) the OB16-5 really performs for me. I can work and hear just about everything that's posted on DX Watch. I live where working the Middle East was very difficult to even hear, no problem now. This antenna has made ham radio exciting for me again (been at it 55 years).

Well constructed, and I expect it will last years. Optibeam--JOB WELL DONE!!!

Rick, W7AV

W7AV Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2012 17:14 Send this review to a friend
Pre-Installation Notes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm posting some impressions of the OB16-5 after putting it together AND before I put it up. For quality of parts it's a 5/5, the very best. Parts marking for identification is a 5/5+, everything is well identified and grouped together, making the assembly much easier then other antennas I've owned. This antenna is big and takes time to build--get help if you can.

The construction manual is a 2/5, many pictures of antenna construction are other antennas and not the OB16-5, the manual is not clear at all and you must keep reading it over and over and that doesn't work sometimes, so it some trial and error, but does go together. Alot is due to translation from German to English (a quality antenna such as this should also be reflected in the manual preparation). Note that this is a German made antenna and every measurement is in meters/centimeters, so you do need a metric tape measure and tools.

I'm not at all happy with the U.S. dealer, no communications with me, they did not track the antenna, so it turned out it was never ordered and I had to wait an extra 6 weeks for it to arrive. Just got the idea they couldn't care less if I bought from them or not--poor customer service.

But, that said, this IS a quality antenna in everyway. Will post when it's up and running.

Rick, W7AV

K2FW Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2011 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Rugged & Great Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iím writing this as a follow-up to my previous review. Iíve had this antenna on the air since November of 06. When I first had it up, I had a few problems that were directly related to assembly mistakes. After correcting them, the antenna performed flawlessly. Then last year we had a small F0 tornado bend 3 of the 4 20mtr elements. Tom (DF2BO) sent over new, reinforced elements (that are now standard) to me for no cost. He also supplied me with other new improved (and now standard) parts that I also installed. So with the new parts & elements installed, the antenna is extremely rugged. We just had hurricane Irene pass within 25 miles of my QTH here in southern NJ. The 16-5 was up on a 80 self supporting tower & came through without any problems. And performance wise, the 16-5 gives you the next best thing to having monobanders up on the tower! Having a very rugged 5 band yagi, that gives you tremendous performance, coupled with super support by the owner, Tom, what more could you ask for?

K0KL Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2011 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna for 4 years now. It is an outstanding performer. Always get wonderful reports, built strong to take the winds that accompany the weather fronts here in the midwest. It's a big antenna, don't rush the construction. The construction alone was actually a lot of fun.
You will be rewarded with an antenna that needs no tuning, low VSWR on all 5 bands.I couldn't be more pleased with the results or factory support.

K4KL Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2009 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Beam Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the OB16-5 for four years and have it on a 90 foot crank-up tower. Its performance has been outstanding no matter what height I have it cranked to on my tower. I have also been impressed with its construction and front to back performance. No traps, yet flipping from band to band is quick and easy. In a nutshell, it has made working my favorite bands of 20 & 15 meters and the WARC bands a joy to operate. I would purchase it again knowing that the support I have gotten from Tom/Optibeam has been outstanding.

EA3GOA Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2008 18:28 Send this review to a friend
A great performance Yagi  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OB16-5 is the best fivebander, the performance and Roe's is better which the features in the catalogue.
It is very easy to assembly, all the elements are marked and all screws and nuts stainless steel.
Is a great antenna, i am very much satisfied whit my Optibeam and hope enjoy very years.
Rating: 5/5, excellent.
Thank you Tom, the design is perfect.

EA8CK Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 12:08 Send this review to a friend
The beauty and the beast  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It was time to change my C4XL, which needed to be repaired several times in its 6 year life. Looking for something more rugged and performant I decided to shift 40m to another boom and have 20 to 10 in one.
What a difference in materials, quality and design. It was like an old beetle, very well designed and built to last. Instructions are clear like water and very easy to follow. Lots of screws and nuts to tighten but the result is perfect.
On the air it behaves better than expected and will sure give a lot of pleasure in many years...

OE3GCU Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2006 02:25 Send this review to a friend
Great performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having more space after moving my QTH was the trigger to look for a new antenna system. I had a closer look to the products at the fair in Friedrichshafen (Germany) 2005 and was enthused of the design and strong mechanics of OptiBeam antennas. After some email exchange I decided to buy the OB16-5 and the OB4030 (see other review). I have mounted the OB4030 3m (9,8 feet) above the OB16-5. All parts are very well packed and marked. The antenna performs really perfect and the VSWR curves are as expected. I could not detect any interfering of the two antennas. Now breaking the pileup and working rare DX is no problem anymore... It has to be mentioned that especially the support from Tom DF2BO (the owner) is really excellent!
You can find a picture of the system on qrz.com under my call sign