Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Microham Digi Keyer Help

Reviews Summary for Microham Digi Keyer
Microham Digi Keyer Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: DIGI KEYER™ is a powerful All-In-One USB interface for amateur radio digital mode operation including RTTY, PSK31, MFSK, Olivia, WSJT, SSTV, APRS, PACKET, EchoLink and many others.

DIGI KEYER™ includes a rig control interface for all supported radios (Elecraft, Icom, JRC, Kenwood, Ten-Tec, and Yaesu), an internal Stereo sound chip using standard Windows Sound drivers, as well as independent PTT outputs for both LNA and Power Amplifier control.

Package contains: DIGI KEYER™, CDROM with drivers, control software and manual, USB A-B cable 2m (6.5ft) long, and one radio cable (specify your radio).

More info: http://www.microHAM-USA.com/Products/dk.html

You can write your own review of the Microham Digi Keyer.

HC2S Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 13:45 Send this review to a friend
More than excellent interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
In all my years in radio a few products have operated without any failure, which is at the top of the list is the Microham Digikeyer, an excellent interface that I have been using with my FT-1000MKV radios, IC-756Pro, TS-480SAT, K3, K2, FT-857, as well as with my Imac computer, Desktop PC and Laptop PC, without any problem, the drivers are very easy to install, manage and program logbooks for PSK31, CW, RTTY, was also very simple.

The Digikeyer itself is excellent but when you add an unparalleled technical support, exceeds all expectations and that's what Joe Suvich W4TV offers to his customers, any question is answered immediately that one always trying to improve knowledge the subject. It is important that an amateur radio is behind this great product.

With this excellent shopping experience, now I'm go for the Digikeyer II, the Digikeyer will be at the vacation shack. KUDOS to Microham

F4EGA Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2010 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I realy love this interface.
Use it for EME on 144MHz also on RTTY CW and others mode on HF and never had any problems or noise.
I like the build in CAT interface, real FSK CW..., built in sequencer for VHF with RCA plug for LNA and AMP.
I tried some interface but this one is the best for sure.

K5JCJ Rating: 2/5 May 25, 2010 23:55 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised but noise problem is real  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these units at Dayton a few years ago thinking that it would be the solution to all my problems based on reviews I read at the time. The unit has indeed worked as advertised when it comes to functionality and sophistication. However, I can confirm some of the reviews that others have written stating that the unit gives off noise that can show up in your received signal. For a time I tried to work with the manufacturer to resolve the issues including better grounding of the box itself, different USB cables, and different equipment setups but the fact remains that this baby emits noise that will make your life difficult and it hasn't been resolved through software or otherwise. Any time the unit is powered on (necessary to use the keying circuits but not the audio circuits) it emits noise that blankets my reception of all but the strongest signals. So now I leave the +13V supply off when I work PSK and other modes that can be keyed using vox and only power it on when I want to work some CW. So unit works as advertised but they don't advertise the noise that will blanket your RX when this thing is turned on. My advice: insert a switch in the wire supplying the power to the unit and your life will be easier, your children beautiful and the world all right. If you are having the same problems and want to hear my ideas on what is causing the problems, drop me a line. Until then, 73!

DL2QB Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2009 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Digikeyer works very well with FT-2000 and Alpha91 amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unfortunately I cannot confirm Lucas observations. I am running the same configuration: Yaesu FT-2000 and DigiKeyer (using it with MixW program version 2.18) and usually even working with an Alpha Power 91 b amplifier. My power output is always between 200 W (BPSK) and 500 - 700 W (RTTY) and I have no problems at all, neither with RF from DigiKeyer getting into the receiver nor with RF from my own transmissions getting into the DigiKyer circuit or computer. Just for playing safe I have put a medium sized ferrite module around the USB cable short behind the USB plug at the digikeyer. However I must emphasize that I am using a high quality very well shielded 3 m long USB cable, not one of the cheap cables that usually are without any shielding.

From Lucas short description I'd say that there is computer (PC) hash getting into the RX and that this has very little to do with the DigiKeyer interface itself. Some PCs radiate a lot, some don't. I am using an Italian NetTop PC from Olidata, one of those with the quiet Intel Atom CPUs (N235, I believe).

Regarding DigiKeyer the unit is working very well and to my fullest satisfaction. Only minor problems with setting up the proper configuration with all the virtual ports, but once this is done, it works with good reliability. I have used DigiKeyer for quite a while with an old PC still running Windows 98. Had to abandon that because W98 did not allow any updates of the driver software from MicroHam and no updates of the DigiKeyer firmware, too. With the XP system I am up to date, the new drivers are very comfortable, everything works on the MicroHam side.

IW2GTU Rating: 1/5 Jan 13, 2009 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Big RFI Problem with FT2000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With Yaesu FT2000 on 40mt,30mt,20mt it's unusable. I have tried all the possible choke on the USB cable with different computers.... no way

As soon as the usb device router software from Microham start you will hear only noise.

WA2EQF Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2009 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Solid flexible interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used quite a few rig-computer interfaces for many years now, including those from West Mountain Radio, Tigertronics, as well as homebrewed. All worked, some with more difficulty than others. I purchased a new Yaesu in 2006 with FSK but was having some trouble getting the results that I wanted from the aforementioned interfaces. Based on a review, I purchased a Digi Keyer from microHAM.

From opening the box to testing on the air was less than an hour. The CAT jumpers were easy to set. Initially I tried to wing the device router software, but finally read the manual and got an understanding as to what I needed to do to get everything working. The manual is well written and illustrated, I had no problem following it. The software device router is very powerful, once understood it is flexible and easy to interface with the several rig control/logging programs that I use. Running in the background, it uses very little computer resources and is well behaved. The Digi Keyer has been in use for about two years now. After a little more than a year I upgraded the software and firmware. The process was straightforward and went smoothly.

I e-mailed Joe Subich W4TV once with a question about the interface with regards to N1MM Logger and MMTTY. The question was not specific to the Digi Keyer but I took a chance that he would have an answer. I received his reply in a very timely manner and he pointed me in a direction that resolved all my questions. This is the type of support that one often only hopes for.

The USB Audio CODEC that the Digi Keyer uses has an exceptionally low noise floor. On my spectrum analyzer when using my PC sound card I see the level of noise that you would expect from that card in its environment. Using a 400-Hz filter, I see a high level of noise across the whole spectrum, with virtually no difference in the filter's target range. When I use the audio CODEC, I see no noticeable noise outside of the filter range, it's dead flat. All those years of trying to work weak signals, and now it's so much easer. I sometimes use Audio Recorder Pro to record my CW or SSB QSOs, mostly at the request of others to hear what they sound like. I cannot tell the difference between the rig and the recording. (Is it live or is it Memorex?) This is what I had used the Tigertronics for, as well as AFSK, in the past. The Tigertronics also has an excellent noise figure but lacks many of the functions/features that the Digi Keyer has.

The front panel controls are very handy. I sometimes find that I can help the computer decode a signal by adjusting the RX level. On some bands I need to adjust the TX level for PSK31. One of the nice features of the Digi Keyer is that it encodes both receivers in my rig. I can use the RX gain controls to switch between two signals. Very nice to see what is happening at one frequency as I operate on another.

The cable set that microHAM provides is well made and a blessing as I get to the point that I no longer wish to play with those things. I bought cables for my other rigs, they are also well made and worked as advertised. Overall the Digi Keyer has worked flawlessly on the several rigs that I own. I am very pleased to own a quality piece of equipment such as the Digi Keyer, and hope to one day purchase microHAM’s MK2R.

73 Scott WA2EQF

KB2VMG Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2008 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely the Best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned and used a number of interfaces, including a Rig Blaster, a Tigertronics SignaLink, two Rig Expert Pluses. The Microham Digi Keyer out performs them all. It is easier to configure and use, and helps you put out a really clean and seemingly stronger signal. The Tigertronics unit is good and well-priced, but it lacks FSK capability. That is for me is a "deal breaker." I'm into all the digi modes but RTTY is still king when it comes to contesting. RTTY contesting without FSK just isn't the same. Ask any diehard contester. Without FSK, you can't take advantage of the IC 756 Pro III's outstanding RTTY filtering. And, contesting without a tight RTTY filter is too much like work to be fun. So, there it is, the Digi Keyer does it all and it does it all extremely well. Shop no more this is THE UNIT to buy. I've sold all the other units and bought two of them. Which reminds me, with the software supplied using more than one unit with a singe computer is a snap. No digging into device manager's dark recesses and swapping devices and ports around.

DL1AIW Rating: 2/5 Jun 15, 2008 04:59 Send this review to a friend
mixed impressions  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the digikeyer primary to use it with WSJT on 2 m. It took only a short time to configure the keyer and the USB-slot at my laptop and from this moment on it started to work with good performance and a very low noise level on VHF.

The big surprise came on sone shorwave-bands between 10 m and 20 m with a noise level up to S9, especially on 20 m. On this band ist is nearly impossbile to work in the digimodes unless you have extremely strong signals.I didn't perform any statistics but I would say that around 80% of (PSK-) signal disappear below the noise floor on 14 MHz.

Up to now I'm not shure what the reason for this might be. Some experiments have shown, that the noise floor disappeared completey by disconnecting the USB-slot and leavin all other slots connected. So it seems to be probably a problem with my laptop and not with the keyer.

After doing some websurfing I found that some other OM are facing the same problems while the majority of the users dont't. Due to the fact that I have to bring my personal experience the rating is not better as 2. Good on VHF, useless on any band higher than 14 MHz.

KE5FDO Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2008 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Only choice for Apple users, happens to be great too.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run Apple computers and always have. It can be frustrating at times in the HAM world finding things that will work with Apples, let alone something that really shines with them.

I was in Dayton a couple of years ago and happened by the MicroHam booth and heard someone mention Apple computers. Stood there listening to Joe for a few minutes and walked away with a DK. So glad I did.

I have run the box with my FT817 for almost 2 years now and never had any problems at all.

I just bought an IC-7000 and ordered a cable for that from MicroHam and same thing, it just works.

WA2ODO Rating: 0/5 Apr 9, 2008 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Should be sold as a Noise generator  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I gave it a 0 because there were no negative numbers to pick. This unit should be sold as a noise generator or comb generator....it is so bad it is unusable with ICOM 781 and FLEX 5000a with WSJT. Sales/service tells you it is your computer NEVER their stuff...but I have confirmed it is the DigiKeyer...performing all the tests they suggest....yet they insist it is my 1 week old Dell (and 2 other computers I tried and a laptop also)...guess I only own bad computers. They say send it back and they will check it BUT 100% of the time it is never bad....and it will be the computer (why bother sending it back).