Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Feidaxin FD-450A Help

Reviews Summary for Feidaxin FD-450A
standby time 120 hours
CTCSS and DCS codes
computer/Manual programm
More info: http://www.feidaxin.com

You can write your own review of the Feidaxin FD-450A.

KF5CTT Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2009 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm new to ham radio, really new in fact I just got my license last month. Needless to say I didn't know much about radios when I ordered the FD-160A (which I bought for $30.00 on a popular online auction site). This is the newer VHF version of the 150/450A. I found the instructions to be very confusing they explain how to set the functions, but don't explain what the functions do. Aside from the instructions this is a great radio! An issue I ran into was an inability to talk to repeaters in my area. This is exactly why I'm writing this review, to help other new hams with this issue. Not only do you have to set a positive or negative offset on the radio which you do by pressing F and # selecting either S, -, or + then the PTT. After that you have to set the offset ammount which until recently I didn't know that you had to do, much less how to do it. This was infact exactly what was causing my inability to talk to repeaters. For 2 meters 600 hz is the standard offset ammount. For anyone wondering you set the offset ammount by pressing F and then the OST button. From there select 00.600 and press the PTT button. It really is that simple believe it or not. Once I figured out how to set the offset I was very impressed with the capability of the radio. Hams I've talked to tell me they can't believe the audio quality coming out of this handheld. I'm so pleased with this radio that I'm going to go ahead and buy the UHF version too, though maybe after I get a good mobile unit. Anyway for any one who is having trouble talking to repeaters I hope that this information has been helpful, I know I wish I'd had someone to relay this information when I got this radio, instead of relying on trial and error to fix it. Anyway I do hope this is helpful.

ON7PAT Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2009 10:20 Send this review to a friend
excellent value for money!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought two of these, initially to use them as PMR radios on the low power setting. And this worked excellent.
Lately I also have been using them on the 70 cm repeaters in the area, and that works even better!
I hit a repeater with 4/5 watt from inside, ground floor, which is located 23 Km further and nothing but buildings (some high ones!) in between.
Indeed the antenna could be better, but that is easily fixed. All the "bits" that go with the HT, are dirt cheap too. I got myself the mics and they work great.

It is of a very sturdy construction, and can withstand a "knock or two".
The audio is (IMHO) better then my Yeasu HT, so, no faulting there either...
The batteries last long enough, and do not get warm when used on high setting (try that with a Yeasu!)

I would recommend this TXR to anybody without any reservation, as a matter of fact, I am thinking about getting a FD-150A as well (same animal but in 2 M)
The best HAM-fund-Money spent so far!
One thing I had to do, was this.
One of the units, had a very stubborn keypad, and I took the unit apart,centered the keypad properly and this works well now.
Hardly something to hold against the FD-450A, considering I paid 50 for the two of them....

G6IYD Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2008 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Happy With Purchase  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a couple of the FD-160A 2mtr handhelds for myself and my xyl. We are both licenced G6`s. Didn`t expect such a well built bit of kit for such a small price. Subsequently bought a FD-460A. They work incredibly well with good reports on air. Only problem appears to be the rather unhelpful instruction booklet. Like other owners, I found out by trial and error. For any new owners, you may be puzzled by beeps when transmitting. This is because the TOT is set to time out in 30 seconds. Just switch TOT off. Also the two stage setup for repeat shift isnt obvious. When you get the hang of it these little radios are a dream to use. Buy one, you wont regret it.

SV1ENS Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2008 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a "no worries" rig for my rainy day commuting car (I'm usually motorcycle mobile) and didn't want to reach too deep into my pocket.

While browsing ebay I came about the FD-160A (VHF version of the FD-450A), after reading the reviews in eham, I took the plunge and ordered from one of the ebay shops. My order included the HT, programming cable, battery eliminator and bnc adapter, all for the price of 69 USD (shipping included). At the exchange rate Euro to Dollar this came up to about 45 Euro which makes it 1/3 the price of the cheapest competitor VHF HT you can get locally (just the HT, no cables).

The package arrived in about 5 days registered air mail from Honk Kong !!

My first impression when I opened the package was "Hmmm" nice solid feel... Somewhat old school !

In general having the FD-160A and my other low budget HT Alinco DJV-17 side by side makes me wonder, was the extra money I paid for the DJV worth it ???

Anyway, here are the highlights of the FD-160A:

Pros
- Price
- Nice solid feel
- Audio is good, I like the fact that the volume is not controlled by a button!
- Nice cool blue display !
- Simple computer programming !

Cons
- Included rubber antenna
- Water resistant claim not really accurate, take the mic jack cover for instance, just a plastic cover held in place by a screw (a really big screw!) leaving many open space around it. When mic is inserted HT is NOT water resistant.
- No alphanumeric in the memory, it gets a bit confusing telling one repeater from the other (how did we manage before alphanumeric displays came around)
- Supplied charger has a very tight fit, lower part of keyboard needs to be "handled" in order to slide radio into charger.

Anyway, in 4 words or less: Great Value for Money !

EX_AA5JG Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2008 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Great bargain..it comes in Red!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When my Yaesu VX5R died I was pretty short on cash so looked around for a 70cm monoband HT since I pretty much just use that band anyways for transmitting. I found one of these HTs on ebay for $62 shipped from Hong Kong, and you can get it in RED! When is the last time you saw a red HT? You won't get this mixed up with the other HTs at field day or the club meeting.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but for $62 this HT is sure a bargain. I have found it very easy to program, but did have to read the manual once or twice. The receive audio is fantastic, and there is plenty of it-much better speaker output than many HTs. I receive very good transmit audio reports as well, and some have said it sounds like a Kenwood.

This HT comes with a drop in charger, but it is not really a rapid charger. It will take 6-8 hours to fully charge the battery. I just charge it overnight when I am asleep and it seems to work for 3-4 days on a charge. The antenna is a little different in that the SMA connector is backwards of all other HTs-the male end is on the radio! The stock antenna seems to work very well.

The HT is just the right size with decent sized buttons. It has PL and DCS encode and decode as well. I can't comment on the DTMF since I haven't used it yet-but the keypad can be used for direct entry as well. It may not have a million different features like some HTs, but if you want several memories with band or memory scan, and just want to get on a talk, you can't go wrong with this HT for $60. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a monoband HT.

KC8UIO Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2007 03:55 Send this review to a friend
Cheap is GOOD!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Feidaxin FD-450A is a handheld UHF-band transceiver. The frequency range is 350 through 490 MHz, both transmit and receive. I was very leary about buying this HT because of some of the yahoos out there who are spreading false information. So, I bought one. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it out. I was hitting repeaters up to 30 miles away and getting very good reports on the other end.

The downside is the key-pad programming. It is difficult, but it can be done. Buy a cable and download the software (free from Feidaxin). It is very easy to program over the serial bus.

I have used mostly Icom HT's in the past. This Feidaxin unit compares well in every way with the Icom units I have owned.

F4EPP Rating: 3/5 May 10, 2006 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Good but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I find out this manufacturer on the famous world auction seller !
As prices were really nice I decided to buy one from Hong Kong. (45$ shiping costs included !! I live in France)
I always operated Ham bands with the usual famous manufacturers.
This radio fits well in hand. It's smaller than professional radios such as Motorola GP-340 and charging time is very fast but I havn't it for a long time ago so I can't say anything about lifetime battery. What is sure is it works perfectly for the moment and can be recharged once a week only!! (even in daily use...I use it working night)
The hot battery feeling doesn't exists on this HT
(even after 3 minutes talking non stop) what is always the case with Ham manucturers.
The very bad point is intermodulation in big city use. This problem is focused on certain frequencies but PMR446 MHZ (family free channels) are definitly unusable for example.
434 MHZ has the same problem and actually I don't know if it's intermod or the lack of internal freq filters.
Nevertheless, I use it now everyday on the 70cm Ham band and on 458 MHZ at work (it works perfectly between 450 and 470 MHZ...). Original antenna is excelent I just miss it hasn't the 1750 hz call we use here in Europe to operate the repeaters.