Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Hy-Gain TH-3JRS Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain TH-3JRS
Hy-Gain TH-3JRS Reviews: 26 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $$359.95
Description: Three element triband beam for 10 -15 - 20 meters
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=TH-3JRS

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain TH-3JRS.

W5RHR Rating: 2/5 Jan 1, 2014 13:38 Send this review to a friend
beta match mounting is off  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a th3 jr from mfj/hygain and the drilled mounting holes for the hairpin beta match
are off and don't line up and the arms are not parallel to the mounting clamps on the driven element.
I have a ticket in to MFJ so ill see what the resolution is, but so far the quality is ok and all the parts were there (unless this is the wrong hairpin match)

K7IOA Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2012 22:00 Send this review to a friend
works fantastic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Now having this antenna for over 6 months and it surviving through 15 days of hard driving rain it still has yet to have any issues. I run bareback, TS-820 or a IC-718 and both work well with this antenna. It's been raining hard and during that time I have made contacts as far as Kuwait and Bahrain, Cape Verde and Argentina, Aruba to the Baltic countries. This antenna has far exceeded the expectations on all three bands. Yes, it tends to bends side to side because the doves find it the place to roost but it has maintained it's low SWR through it all. When purchased, it was in sad shape. I cleaned the traps, replaced the fasteners, and stuck it up 35 feet on a pushup pole. Can't find a better deal today in antennas under $100 ( I have less than $75 total into this one).

VK3ZAZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 29, 2012 02:37 Send this review to a friend
An easy antenna to assemble and erect.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My TH3 MK4 had swr issues and the idea of dropping it off my 75 foot tower finding what was wrong, fixing it and getting it back up, was a bit tough for an old timer (66 yo).

My mate said try to make tower climbs less and less go for something reliable.

To this end I bought a new M2 9M2SSB and a near new TH3JRS.
These antenna are ultimately going to end up in VK0 if and when I go down in 2013/2014 so it was an interesting assembly experience.

I assembled the TH3 treated the boom and eleme3nt joints with long life fishoil, sealed the connector and adapted a radio works current balun that fits neatly under the boom of the TH3JRS and uses aluminium straps to the driven element.

Testing near the ground showed it was in the band and once raised well in the bands.

I found it easy to lift with a single rope hand over hand and easy to put in place.

We had a fierce equinoxial storm this weekend and it whipped all over the place but nothing broke.

My only reservation is the power limit.
Now we have 1kw in VK on test I am switching the VL1000 to low power.

Anyone know of the 600 watt rated TRAPS is a conservative rating or will they max out on the DE.

All in all apart from the droopy ends the beam looks neat has good btof and I scored 3D2C ahead of some big guns today running just my 500 watts.

VE7SNC Rating: 2/5 Feb 13, 2012 17:13 Send this review to a friend
poor traps  Time owned: more than 12 months
Antenna worked fine for a beginner, but when it rained the SWR was off the charts. I should have read these articles first guess it is an ongoing problem. Thought maybe the traps were in upside down but NO they suck.

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2011 10:51 Send this review to a friend
The old girl works again  Time owned: months
First off my previous antenna was a G5RV which I still have and, recently a Butternut HF-9V vertical ( which I also love and tunes 80, 40, 30, 20, 17,15,10 AND 6 meters!

I bought this old beam ( luckily complete with no missing parts) for about $40.00. It's about 15 years old. Most of the bolts were rusted ( Duhhh! after 15 years...ya'think? ) but penetating oil freed them up. I also took apart ALL the trap assemblies and found most of the self-tapping screws to be corroded with a poor connection therefore. Perfectly understandable, but some people believe that a 15 year old antenna which lives OUTSIDE, should not suffer any corrosion.... yeah right!

Cleaned all traps and made sure trap covers with holed are pointing down.replaced all clamps with hose clamps, and wrapped trap joints ( but DID NOT block trap holes ) with 3M electrical tape with cable ties to prevent later unravelling of same. I then treated electical tape with 3M silicone paste.

I use a 1:1 balun to connect the coax to the two antenna elements instead of making a rolled up coax balun as described in the instructions. I adjusted the driven element's length for SSB and the use of a balun. The antenna is about 28 ft. up and HANGING from a tree limb and connected to a inexpensive rotator in a rather ingenious way ( sorry about self-praise ) in order to rotate. I am a poor hill billy ham with no money for a tower and a $450+ dollar rotator, and my system works , so for me " it is what it is" ( hate that phrase, but it's catchy)

This is my first beam ( and it was affordable being old as it is ) so I can only compare it to my Butternut HF-9V vertical with 42 radials.., and that antenna is no slouch.

Anyway I noticed that stations that I could not hear on the HF-9V clearly , I could hear VERY clearly on the HyGain TH3. It has a nice F to B ratio and I tested that with a station that was very strong ( and 1800 miles away ) and went from North to South and back again and the difference was mucho noticeable to both him and me.

It tunes 10 , 15 , and 20 meters, with 10 meters seeming to tune best @ about 1:5 to 1. I DO use a tuner for mine just to be on the safe side on 20 meters.

I find with a beam that you can hear stations far away later in the evening than a wire antenna . You also get the benefit of quieter listening ( not the fault of a vertical.., they just hear EVERYTHING in and around them ) if pointed in a direction. I've gotten great signal reports with the antenna also. I plan to raise it about 10 feet hopefully in the spring ( too damn cold now ).

So this is a review of a 15 year old geezer and not a new antenna,but perhaps you're looking at buying a use one.

This is a great beginner's 3-element, 3 band antenna. Even better if you can get it on the cheap. You will need to disassemlbe and clean the anttena (tedious ), but your reward will be a great working antenna

All in all a capable antenna with nothing to apologize for. Stop listening to those who complain about the rain in the traps ( a non-issue if you build the antenns as you're supposed to )

Don't know about the brand new one's but more than likely they're the same.

KF0WU Rating: 4/5 Oct 22, 2011 14:06 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine in the late 80s and it's on it's third tower (3rd QTH). Can't say that I'm sold on F to B ratio...don't believe it's anywhere near what the manual said it would be (25db), but, has acceptable directivity for me. It's survived several 80+ mph windstorms, although I've had to perform some repairs over the years (nearly 25 now). Haven't had the detuning experiences after a rain. Have never used another tribander, so, don't have anything to compare it to. Works for me.

KJ4AMH Rating: 4/5 Aug 11, 2011 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna despite bad reviews  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed a pre MFJ TH3JRS about two years ago and am having very good results with it. I made certain the holes in the traps pointed STRAIGHT DOWN, this is very important! I still get an SWR change in the rain, but the antenna is still usable. I think the fact that the trap sleeve has water on it, not in it, changes the capacitance and thus changes the SWR slightly. I custom tuned the antenna to place the SWR null in the middle of the DX phone band. The only problem I had was the screws attaching the trap coils rusted causing a reversal of the pattern on 10m, the original screws are cadmium plated. I have reason to believe this particular antenna is well over 20 years old. I replaced with stainless steel and all is well. This is the only problem I have had. The antenna receives and transmits VERY well. I recently replaced the TH3JRS with a Force 12 C3S, a very highly rated antenna in it's own right. I tell you what: the Hygain is going back up! I'm going to lengthen the boom and element spacing to TH3 specs and put it back up.

ON1VHF Rating: 2/5 Aug 1, 2011 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Good, but don't expect too much  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna second hand for 150 eight years ago. It has since been installed on a tiltable tower 14 meters above ground. I had great contact with it, but I must say that I have reached the end of my repair capacity. Everything falls apart, all nuts and bolts are completely rusted. Traps are hermetic as a chinese submarine. It was completely removed today, as the A4S is on the way. But for the price, I'm still happy I could use it for all these years. Just don't install this thing on a 80 feet tower if you don't want to climb twice a year for repair...

A22EW Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2010 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am surprised to the negative reviews. I have used this antenna for around 12 years (2 seperate ones). They have worked flawlessly - both were used with 10 years + old when i received them seperately.
Moisture issue was not a problem as noted even through several rains. The trick is to ensure that the holes are dead bottom.
The newer th3jrs I cannot comment on but expect a similar performance.

N8DRC Rating: 3/5 May 29, 2010 11:30 Send this review to a friend
works great untill heavy rain  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the antenna new at Dayton 2009, has performed very well..One year later I do get the effects of the heavy rain where the beam will not tune up at all for about 2 days..Plan on taking it down this summer and sealing the traps, other than that the antenna has worked great has survived the harsh winter weather..