Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Hy-Gain TH-3JRS Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain TH-3JRS
Hy-Gain TH-3JRS Reviews: 26 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $$359.95
Description: Three element triband beam for 10 -15 - 20 meters
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=TH-3JRS

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain TH-3JRS.

K4LY Rating: 4/5 Dec 12, 2009 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Works FB for me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an older Hygain-Telex version of the TH-3JRS for $60 recently. It may or may not be exactly the same as the present MFJ/Hygain version. I don't know for sure, but the online manual I found indicates they are the same or very similar. After some elbow grease, including cleaning spider and hornet nests out of the coils, I reassempled it on my deck and found the SWR curves to be what they should be. I ordered a new 2" boom to mast clamp assembly to replace the 1 1/2" one that was on it, plus a few other minor, small parts from Hygain/MFJ. They arrived in about 2 weeks. I disassembled the 3 elements from the boom and then reassembled it while standing on top of my 65' Rohn 25 tower. That would be harder to do with a bigger and heavier tribander. It works well giving me about 6 db gain over a trap dipole at a similar height on a tower 70' away. It seems to have good F/B and is a quieter antenna than the trap dipole which is a driven element from a TH7. With 100 watts, I work every thing I hear. I used it for QRP in the CQWWs and almost worked QRP DXCC those two weekends with it. The SWR has gone up just a little in the rain without affecting it's performance. I made sure the holes in the traps were pointing down, and I put an additional hole in some of the outer insulator caplugs. It operates the way a tribander should, and I'm very satisfied. I've used KT34XAa, monobanders and other tribanders in the past. No problem with recent 50 MPH winds.
This is a great antenna for the price I paid and probably at least a very good antenna at retail.

MM0LBX Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2009 04:37 Send this review to a friend
Great DX Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm very surprised that I see so much bad right ups about the Hy-Gain TH-3JRS.

I've owned one now for 7 Months and I do agree that heavy rain does affect mine.....but only a little.

It doesn't go to the extreme that I can't use her, SWR max in heavy rain is 2:1, before I put her up I took all of the Trap's apart and rubbed them all down to the nice and shiny brand new look and cleaned all of the connections, as I type now we have heavy winds and real heavy Rain, I'm on the North East Coast of Scotland which tell's you about the Wind I can get and she's waving her Wing's gracefully like a Swan.

Took all the Weather Elements that's been thrown at her and still breaks the pile-ups on 50 Watts and worked all corners of the World.

Doesn't too excellent at the bottom end of 15m SWR wise but the ATU sort's that out.

I've rated her as great.......because that's whet she is for me, great!

2M0MAV

ZL1CDP Rating: 3/5 Oct 23, 2009 00:35 Send this review to a friend
Good but has issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Gotta say that I just installed the TH-3JRS and it rained an hour afterwards... traps went out of tune!!! (and yes the holes were pointing down).

A quick email to MFJ and they tell me that they may look to SEAL THE TRAPS in future... (So you don't now??? why???)... Anyway, took it down (after a 10 day period of inoperability as it wouldn't work) to find the traps were going green ALREADY... repaired that and sealed the traps..

Put it back up and it works quite well now and SWR and traps stay tuned.

WARNING... Seal traps BEFORE erecting antenna and it will be fine.

Cheers
Chris, ZL1CDP

G3LIV Rating: 1/5 Jul 22, 2009 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Re Rain Problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I see my problem now that I have had a pair of binoculars inspecting the elements.
In at least 6 places the plastic waterproofing molding covers that are on the end of the traps have split totally.
And have blown down the elements. So the ends of the aluminium tubes covering the trap coils are totally open to the weather.
Now Its all got to come down. I think the likely hood of getting these replaced from MFJ is non existant. I might have stood a chance if it was still HY-Gain,
Holes are pointing down to LOL
Any recomendations on a replacement.
De johnny G3LIV

W3UT Rating: 0/5 Jul 21, 2009 17:59 Send this review to a friend
A cheaply made antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, the weep holes face down, as the previous reviewer stated. Regardless, on the majority of these antennas the traps are not sealed properly and will detune when it rains. If you own this antenna and don't have problems, consider yourself lucky.(for now) Useful troubleshooting tools are a hair dryer, silicone caulk, and a bottle of aspirin.

K4IA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2009 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Weep holes go down  Time owned: more than 12 months
We've used one at Field Day. I have no idea how old it is but it was once permanently mounted and has probably been in use for more than 15-20 years. Always performs well, except for the one year we installed it with the traps upside down - weep holes were pointed up. It rained and the antenna went to garbage. When we took it down the traps were full of water. It worked fine the next year after drying out. This is an easy mistake to make. Perhaps that is the issue with the previous reviewer.

G3LIV Rating: 1/5 Jul 21, 2009 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Rain so its rubbish again  Time owned: months
Yes another wet period in England.
The IOTA contest and VK9IR on this week.
My TH-3JRS is just a piece of metal once again it bears no relationship to an HF beam
All bands are 5+:1 SWR . Wet traps I presume once again.
Not chance the TS-850AT will sort it out.

Old OCF dipole still flat across the bands.
Its time this TH3 came down.

I seem not to be the only one with his problem.
Johnny G3LIV.

VK3LMR Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2009 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Serves the purpose  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought from MFJ but took a LONG time to even ship and many emails went unanswered. Almost gave up and canceled.

The mounting clamps where too flimsy and had to be replaced.

That's the bad points out of the way. Yes it is flimsy, but it is also light weight and I have a light weight rotator and lightweight mast, so it suits me well. Performance is great compared to a dipole on 20M. It is mounted ontop of a hill, in a windy sub-alpine area. It has survived winter with 90km/h winds, that lasted for 24 hours. It was an ugly site watching it bend and sway, the elements looked bent almost 45 degrees at times and I was sure it was going to be damaged, but it came out straight and true.

For my setup, this is a great antenna and I am happy with it.

G3LIV Rating: 2/5 Feb 17, 2009 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Replacement disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a TH-3JR up for about 10 years 1979 to 1989 there was little problem from it. But it was made and marketed by HI-Gain then. It got damaged in a storm and I decided to purchase a replacemet. When the box arrived from the UK dealer it had been dameged ar one end. Betweem Wales and myself it had been loosing small bit all the way. Dealers told me deal with HI-Gain direct,to much bother for him i suppose.
However I found now that my new TH-3Jr was made
by MFJ. It took weeks and weeks to get parts. The Hairpin Match was the wrong size " Just cut it down " I was told. In the previous HI-GAIN model it was supplied with all Stainless Steel fittings. The MJF replavement now had Hose Clips to clamp the elements. It was overall a poor copy of what was a decent antenna. I cleaned up all the old SS fittings and fittied those to the "New" TH-3jr. Like others it only has to look like rain for the SWR to go off scale. As mine is in a pole on the gable of the house its not easy to work on really. I have a RAIBEAM for 17 mrs above it. That never gives any trouble. I would replace the TH3 with a 20 mtr Raibeam but iut seems Chuck has problems so no antennas being produced now. PITTY.
So the NEW TH3JR is still up there its sood on for Circa 9 years but its not reliable in winter or rain.
The original was.
de Johnny G3LIV
www.g3liv.co.uk

WX4O Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2009 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one in the late 70's. It worked very well when atop my 40' crank up mast. As a comparison pricewise, I bought the antenna, heavy duty 40' crank up, Ham M rotator and control box as a package, delivered, for about $550. Fantastic deal.