Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | BIRD 43-P peak reading watt meter Help

Reviews Summary for BIRD 43-P peak reading watt meter
BIRD 43-P peak reading watt meter Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $525.00
Description: The Bird 43-P is an updated version the model 43. It has the ability to read
Peak envelope power readings. As well as use in certain pulse type applications.
More info: http://www.bird-electronic.com/

You can write your own review of the BIRD 43-P peak reading watt meter.

EA4AZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2013 06:55 Send this review to a friend
the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 43 and 43p.
The 43p is the best ever had.
Revex, Daiwa, Kenwood etc etc are toys.
Great for very high power work.

K6AER Rating: 3/5 Mar 28, 2010 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Good basic peak reading watt meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own four Bird watt meters. I have used Bird watt meters for over 50 years and they are a great instrument if you donít need high accuracy. In the CW position the accuracy is +/- 5% and in the peak reading it is +/- 8% for a 20 mS pulse signal. The problem is the RC constant on the peak reading charge and hold circuit is dependent on the RF duty cycle of AM and SSB modulation. As a result the peak accuracy is always suspect. Much better peak reading watt meters can be had such as the LP-100, Array Solutions, Wave Mode and of course the Alpha 4510. These watt meters have microprocessor controlled sampling and are true peak reading watt meters with average 3% accuracy. Accuracy on the Alpha 4510 is about 2% when compared to my Agilent spectrum analyzers and is the most accurate of the ham grade, peak reading watt meters.

To many HAMís, owning a bird 43 is the epitome of a lab grade instrument but in the RF world they are your basic RF DVM used for ruff order readings. The true value of the Bird watt meter is the slug availability for power and frequency readings. Although this advantage it is also a negative for the fortune in slugs that you will accumulate over time to cover all frequencies and power levels.

For VHF and UHF work I use the Telewave with requires no slugs and has selective power ranges. This saves a small fortune in the amount of slugs needed in general Two-Way servicing use.

I also use the Wave Node for VHF and UHF SSB work and for the cost it is a great bang for the buck peak reading watt meter.

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 08:41 Send this review to a friend
"THE" power meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
The standard by which I judge all others.

KF4LYU Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2008 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Why settle for any other??  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had had my Bird 43P for over 7 1/2 years now and have to say that it is the most used and cherished piece of test equipment that i have ever purchased.

Used many, many times daily in my Radio repair shop,, it has never let me down once,, and has never had to be recalibrated.

definitly worth the expense that you'll pay for this meter and a few slugs to cover the diffrent ranges/wattage,, but if you are serious about your repairs and want the accuracy that you can only get from a BIRD,,,then why settle for anything less??

K9XT Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2007 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Bench Tool  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased a used (but hard to tell) 43P at Dayton 2007. An incredible device, I should have purchased one many years ago. The peak reading feature is exceptionally useful when setting up AM on an FT-100D and overall for monitoring SSB performance. My only quandry: do I buy a 250H or a 100H slug for 100 watt radios on HF! A 43 or a 43P is an "esssential" bench tool.

G0UWK Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2006 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Worth it's salt  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I acquired a used 43P after buying a 43 for use in my UHF System,
The peaking reading facility works well and is very handy should an official call to check out your station
In the U.K. our license terms state (amongst many other things) that the individual should be capable of accurately measuring output power, a standard 43 is fine for carrier modes but useless for PEP measurements.

The 43P is much better at holding the peak readings for longer than a passive Japanese ham meter with PEP facility (43P uses 2 x PP3 9v batteries mounted internally)
Peak envelope power levels are then easy to set up and limit using a quality speech processor/compressor keeping your output power within the legal limit ( at the very least you can demonstrate how itís done).

My only gripe is battery life, the batteries last about 48 hours if left switched on, I use Lithium ion cells
But donít forget this is a meter designed to be used in the field not in your shack so it might be a good idea to convert to an alternative permanent D.C. supply.

There are boards available for to retro fit into existing standard 43 models,
This is a modification that I plan to fit to my standard 43 at some stage.

One thing is for sure, I wonít be parting with either the 43 or the 43P, as long as I have a radio.
I don't often hand out 5's but in this case the 43P deserves it.
Highly Recommended.

N3JBH Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2006 09:37 Send this review to a friend
a test bench must have  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
if your serious about measuring your power. this is a test bench must have. wow not the cheapest meter in the market. it truley is one of the best.

best part is you can change out the slugs to use the same meter at any power level or frequency range youll probally ever need.