Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radiowavz G5RV Lite Help

Reviews Summary for Radiowavz G5RV Lite
Radiowavz G5RV Lite Reviews: 23 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $41.00
Description: 80-10 meter shortened G5RV using coils
More info: http://www.radiowavz.com

You can write your own review of the Radiowavz G5RV Lite.

WB4TJH Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2017 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Works well; but use choke.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this antenna at 40 feet apex, fed with 100 feet of LMR 400. i HAVE TWO SNAP ON FERRITES AT THE COAX/TWINLEAD JUNCTION AND IT IS A QUIET AND VERY EFFECTIVE ANTENNA.

KX9R Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2014 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna to get on all HF bands  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a ham for many years; since 1980. I mostly have used a multi band vertical over these years. Recently I relocated to Long Island and my home has numerous oak trees.

I purchased this antenna and installed as flat top, about 25 - 30 ft in the air (between 2 large trees). I fed with 50' of RG8X coax, formed and RF choke at the connection and buried the coax to the ham shack.

I currently do not have an RF ground.

The antenna works very well! Low noise on receive (much better than a vertical) and I have made contacts throughout the world with 100 watts on SSB and 10W on PSK31.

The quality of the antenna wire is good, insulators are nothing special but do the job.

N6SBN Rating: 3/5 Mar 29, 2012 08:32 Send this review to a friend
RFI problems  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
SWR is reasonable when using an AT. However, the RF will come up the Coax and contaminate your radios, Signalink, DSL UVERSE and stereo speakers.

You will need to add chokes to the Coax and be sure your station ground is above average. An Okay shortened Dipole if you can overcome the RF.

N5NLR Rating: 2/5 Jan 27, 2012 12:20 Send this review to a friend
g5rv burnt  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the g5rv from a local ham store as alternative for 80 mts.due to the limit space ( and the H.O.A.) it work somewhat fine, not until I hooked up my amplifier, sparks start coming out of both ends and melted the insulators of the antenna was told it was a full limit and and it only holds about 200w not the 800w I was trying to use, I guess it will work fine if you are going to use qrp if you have limited space buy it but if you are going to run high power make sure you won't burnt the house or the neighbors....73's

K1ALL Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2011 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Good Multiband  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first G5RV Lite was up for three years before ice storms brought down the trees that supported it. The second one is still going strong after two years. Tunes up on 10-80 with a LDG YT-100 and I regularly work most of the USA and into Europe and South America on 100 watts. It's in dense trees at about 25 feet (but on a steep hill). An inexpensive, easy to rig, and reliable antenna. Construction is less than robust, but mine have withstood several New England winters, so I can't complain.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2011 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Small but Works Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is part of my go-kit and will be used again this year for Field Day. When space is limited, this is a very good solution!

K7LA Rating: 3/5 Jun 22, 2011 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Acceptable For Space Limited Operations  Time owned: more than 12 months
My suburban tract home has a small lot and will not support a full size wire antenna. As a compromise I installed this G5RV Lite as an inverted vee at 50 feet from a push-up pole. This antenna has been in the air since April 2010.

The antenna out of the package tunes up on 20M and 100 kHz of the 80M band using my rig's internal tuner. The addition of an outboard tuner (really, a must) will give you all bands except 160M. I was pleased with its performance on 80M during the 2010 California QSO Party working Northern CA counties from my QTH near Anaheim. In an emergency, this would be an effective field deployment antenna for your grab-and-go kit.

I have no problems DXing or working NA coast-to-coast on 20M, and during big contests like CQWW and WPX I have worked stations from Europe to South America usually on the first call. The G5RV Lite is also a quiet receiving antenna with good sensitivity.

If you are a single band operator, you would probably be better served by making a dipole for that purpose. However if you want multi-band options at little cost, this will work for you. Please note there are better antennas out there, but be prepared to pay up.

The antenna rating is based on acceptable performance, average (but not exceptional) build quality, zero manufacturer documentation for this model and no reply to my Emails (try the telephone instead). For the value, I would rate 3.5 if that were available.

WA4LIR Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2011 02:50 Send this review to a friend
Good buy for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MY 480SAT tuned the G5RVLite on 80,15, and 10m. I had to buy a KT-100 tuner to make it work on 20 and 40m. Great Results now on 20m, with strong signal reports from western and eastern Europe. I spoke personally with the company via phone and they were responsive. They do need better instructions. Do yourself a favor and use with a tuner.

N2CSA Rating: 4/5 Apr 9, 2011 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Reasonable performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My club bought a G5RV Lite. After reading reviews here I had reservation about the wisdom of the purchase. We've used it on several occasions with 24' collapsible fiberglass poles at field type events. I have been pleasantly surprised. It performs reasonably well 80 through 10. I would recommend it to anyone who needs a limited space antenna or for field operations.

KF6IIU Rating: 3/5 Jun 30, 2010 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Decent compromise antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got one of these as a portable, limited-space, "field day" antenna. The mountains in California are pure rock, so verticals don't work very well, but there are plenty of 50+ foot trees to hang dipoles or slopers from. And I wanted something that would mate with the existing 50-ft lengths of RG-8 I already own, rather than going out and buying more ladder line.

Tunes up OK on all bands, even when set up for my test as an inverted V at only 35 feet. In fact, my tuner just bypassed all L and C on most of 20, so it behaved like a full size G5RV, even though the legs are only 30-something feet each. Made of 14ga THHN wire and zip-cord-like wire for the matching section. My only quibble about quality is the center and end insulators are just pieces of 1/4" PVC sheet with holes drilled in them, and the holes are not chamfered, which could lead to premature wear. The twin lead, not being ladder line, may be more sensitive to water and ice than open feedline. And the kit was missing one end insulator.

Bottom line: Of course you can build your own wire antenna for less, but if you want a kit, this is a low cost option. You might want to add a few bucks for "real" end insulators.