Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Astatic AST 6BTV Multiband HF mobile Help

Reviews Summary for Astatic AST 6BTV Multiband HF mobile
Astatic AST 6BTV Multiband HF mobile Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: This is a multiband antenna with resonators for 6 bands included. 4 foot solid aluminum mast.
More info: http://www.radio-ware.com

You can write your own review of the Astatic AST 6BTV Multiband HF mobile.

VK5ZEE Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2009 22:47 Send this review to a friend
Use with care and get results  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 5BTV but the only difference is the length of the main pole.

Have done some 10,000 miles (16,000 kms) with mine. However I NEVER, NEVER have more than one resonator on at a time. Its easy to stop and change bands.

I have a camper trailer with a antenna mount built on it so the whole antenna sits above my car roof and camper trailer. The same mount also fits onto my trailer hitch when I am not towing.

Have never failed to make a contact for anyone that I have heard.

The main problem is that the GRUB Screws fall out. Have travelled for hours at 60 Mph (100Kms) and in rain and strong winds.

Use a HEAVY spring and a heavy duty (BUSHCOMM, Aust) mount.

I also have Hustler 80 metre resonator. That way I can choose what part of 80 (in Aust we have 3.5 to 3.7) to use so I have Astatic one tuned to 3.590 and Hustler one tuned to 3.630 and so cover the main areas easily.
80 metre band with is on 15khz for Astatic and about 20khz for the hustler.

WL7ME Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2007 14:22 Send this review to a friend
good antenna, weak mounting  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have worked stations in Texas, Nevada, and Arazona from Juneau Alaska. great antenna, BUT the 3/8 inch mounting stud is made of brass. Mine broke three weeks after I had installed it. It should be stainless steel. The factory told me to send entire antenna back to them for replacement. They should provide parts for the unit

NA6DF Rating: 3/5 Feb 6, 2007 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Too heavy/high wind load  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I never really got to see how it performs, but it should be on par with the likes of the hustler center loaded antennas. The Astatic antenna is way too heavy to be mounted without some sort of upper support. It would also have been nice if the non-vertical resonators came up at about a 45 degree angle, if they would still tune that way. They stick out horizontaly, and may poke your eye out, if the antenna is mounted low enough. I tried it on the top rear corner of my GMC Sonoma pickup bed, where I have a commercial grade ball mount, but had no way to provide an upper support or guys for it.

KC7GNM Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2006 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna but lacking on available parts  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very good performing and easy to tune antenna. I bought mine with 10-15-20-40-75 and bought a 160m resonator off ebay. The bottom part of the antenna broke on the 3/8 inch mount and finding a part to replace it was almost impossible. I found the 160m antenna on ebay and it came with 2 of the parts I needed to fix the antenna. Works like a champ now that I have it mounted a lot more sturdy than the first time. In fact the 160m resonator works fine on the 4 foot mast even though it did come with only a 2 foot mast. I have gotten some very good reports on 160 mobile running only 100 watts. The biggest problem is trying to fine replacement parts for this antenna so that is why I rated it a 4 instead of a 5.

N9ESH Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2006 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Good buy for $79.95  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iíve had this antenna set-up for about 2 Ĺ years and Iím still pleased with it. Drove from Illinois to Wyoming/Montana twice with it. Never had a problem. Mine is mounted to a trailer hitch using a homemade ľ inch aluminum plate and a Firestick dome mount. The mounting must be strong as this is a heavy beast! Electrically, this antenna is about equivalent in performance to the Hustlers. Not the greatest efficiency, but for the price ($79.95) and 5 bands, itís hard to beat.

Tuning has not presented any problems. It does not de-tune in the rain either.

I did get numerous questions from strangers asking what this thing was. Surprisingly, I did run across a few bikers who knew exactly what it was, they were hams!

Jim/ N9ESH

WB0NXY Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2006 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Goodl, sturdy antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this antenna on my RV, but only when I'm parked. I think it's to heavey for mobile use. Tuning is pretty straight forward and easy for the 20-15-10 meter bands. 75 and 40 require some play. Once you have 75 and 40 tuned, that seems to de-tune the other bands. I overcame all this by using a antenna tuner. Once you have tweaked all radils as best as possible, the tuner will bring the SWR's down below 2 to 1.

K4DV Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2006 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Good performance, low price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been running this antenna mobile now for a month or so, using it daily.
First impression is that it is a well built, sturdy antenna. I comes with a 6,10,15,20,40,and 75/80 meter resonators. Only 4 at a time can be used, including the 75 or the 40, not both at once.
It is fairly heavy with all the resonators in place and may require guying to prevent swaying and rocking. A heavy mount is a must. Don't think that a little 3/8x24 stud is going to hold up, forget it(unless you brace it someway). This antenna has a solid aluminum mast 4 feet long and with all the resonators on top you know it is going to be top heavy. Overall length with the 75 meter resonator is around 7 1/2 feet and around 7 with the 40. I have been using the 10 on top and it is only around 6 feet or so with that one.
I tried running this on a Radio Shack ball mount that was on the top bed rail of the truck bed, securely bolted on. After a couple of weeks, I crossed a curb that caused my vehicle to rock side to side pretty bad and the mount snapped off and the antenna fell in the truck bed(thankfully). I should have guyed it, but took the chance, my fault.
Now to the antenna performance.
The solar cycle is bad right now, so conditions are iffy at best. I have been very impressed so far with the performance of the antenna. The SWR's are quickly set, except on 40 and 75 meters, which take some time tinkering with to find the sweet spot. It is pretty broad banded and will cover most all the phone band on everything 20 meters and up. As with all mobile antennas, they are a comprimise at best.
I haven't used the 75 meter resonator and have only tested the 40 meter a few times, since I don't spend much time on those bands, and have been running the 10,15, and 20 meter resonators along with a 17 meter Hustler resonator. The Hustler requires a stud to attach to the mast bracket since it has the female connector on it, 2 are included that you use with the 40 and 75 resonators, where the Astatic has the threaded male connector.
To summerize, if you are going to run this with the 40 or 75 meter resonator, you MUST guy it or brace it someway, because they are heavy and with those on top it will do a lot of rocking. You might get by with a bumper mount and some type of brace up the mast to secure it, but a heavy mount is a must regardless of where you mount it.
Overall, it is a much better antenna than a Hamstick, equal to or better than the Hustler Multiband, and for the low price of $79.95, you can't beat it. Multiband performance without a tuner or switches. I give it a 5 for price/performance and a 4.5 for construction/performance. It is a good antenna well worth the money.