Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ICOM IC-91AD Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-91AD
ICOM IC-91AD Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $628
Description: DSTAR Digital dual band transceiver from ICOM.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-91AD.

VE5PT Rating: 4/5 Mar 10, 2014 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's an "OK" radio, but I would of not bought it if I had used one first. Several "features" bug me.
1) Does not "sit up" nicely - tips over too easily
2) The time out/sleep mode beeps and turns off right away. Why not - say wait 30 seconds, to give you a chance to extend staying alive
3) No volt meter so you can determine where you are on battery life. This is available in other radios. And don't lecture me about LION batteries!!
4) I recently measured the RX sensitivity. Whether there is something wrong, or it has always been this way, but 6 microvolts??!! My old IC-02AT is .3 microvolts.

IF I have learned anything, is that my next radio I buy I have a chance to try before I buy.

W9HQE Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 04:43 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
great little ht a bit hard to understand but then again dstar is a bit hard to understand. I almost gave it a 4 but just could not sounds great transmits great and is tough as nails.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Digital & Analog HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had my IC-91AD for 5 days & have had it connected to D-STAR for 2 days & LOVE this HT.It was the perfect choice for me since I already have a dual band(2 meter/440 analog)HT & the price was GREAT.I use the 91AD just for D-STAR for now but know it works great for analog as well.D-STAR is for sure different but I think it's growing on me & many others.Now I'll just pick up the accessories for the 91AD a little at a time & be happy.ICOM is by far my favorite brand & even though the IC-91AD is no longer being sold NEW pick yourself up one used like I did & start having fun with D-STAR like I did.Hope too work you soon on the D-STAR system. {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

KK9H Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2013 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Good HT, only two gripes  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my IC-91AD for almost six years now. I like it very much. It has good clear audio on receive and on transmit. Since I've owned it for a good length of time I am very comfortable with all aspects of how it works, both analog and digital. I feel the layout and function of the menu items are all straightforward and logical. It also feels nice in your hand.

The two items to gripe about are minor but noteworthy. The first is the heat it develops on high power during even a relatively short QSO without long winded transmissions. It does have a low power setting, but there are times where a half watt just won't get you where you need to go. I just taylor my conversations around this issue. The second is the ease at which the volume control will move when you don't want it to or don't expect it to. On a few occasions I have missed a call because it had shifted to the lowest setting without my realizing it. These are not deal breaker issues, but they are worth noting.

All in all, I have been very happy with my IC-91AD. It has given me excellent, reliable service on both analog and digital modes. I keep it in my briefcase and it goes everywhere with me, including on business and vacation trips. They are showing up on the used market now and would make good entry level D-Star HTs.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2011 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Had it a day...Initial impressions...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got a Very Nice one in a swap deal....Wanted an HT with DStar since I have an ID-880H mobile & DSTAR is growing in our area....

Nice, Good Sized Dual Band - Dual receive HT, dual display easy to read, single diplay awesome (big LCD w/good contrast) great receive, good audio out, DStar, programming isn't all that complex & is relatively intuitive (of course I've had Icom rigs before)..I know I have way to much time on my hands if I "know" all this so soon, but this isn't my 1st Rodeo...

Not sure about battery life since I just put a full charge on it...

Not So Nice - speaker a tad tiny, AM local radio a little weak (hey it's a V/U/Dstar HT)..but no rig is "perfect"...but I still give it a 5 ...

If you want a metal case, waterproof HT w/expensive GPS speaker Mic.. go spend quite a bit more $$ on an IC-92AD but don't buy an HT you'll hardy, if ever use it's capabilities just to say I have a 92AD. Money difference sure buys a lot of Yuengling .... So for my uses & needs this is a Very Nice HT does it "all"....

N2RRA Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2011 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Just an Awesome HT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bottom Line!

Audio: Superb! External Mic's excellant!
Recieve: Great!
Features: Excellant
Band Scope: Excellant and very useful feature!
compact: Excellant!

DURABILITY: Unbelievable military grade! Takes
a beaten and keeps on ticking!

Power: Only Hi/Lo, but it gets the job done
Satellite: Excellant!

Battery Life: Fair (Could be better)

AF Volume: Excellant!
D-Star: Excellant!

As far as anybody having problems I'm sure there are very few. If they did it's to be expected with any company during running it through a production line and typical electronic component failures to a minimum.

This HT kicks ass!

73'

AC8JD Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2010 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Great HT!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this HT for a little under 2 months and have used it almost every day. First off, I noticed that even though the body is plastic, it is a dense hard plastic... I don't foresee it failing if it fell off of a table onto the floor, or even concrete for that matter. I have had it fall off my workbench in my basement a couple of times onto the concrete floor and it didn't even scratch the plastic let alone ding it. And it never missed a beat!

Other reviews talk about the heat. All I can say is that it does get warmer on TX than my previous HT which was a iCom IC-V8. The V8 put out 7 watts, this one only 5. I use it on low power most of the time anyway but it will still get warm on TX if I have a 10 minute conversation doing 2-3 minuet transmits with 2-3 minuets in between. It does get what I would call "really warm" when doing the same transmitting on 5 watts. I wouldn't call it "very warm" or "mildly hot", or even "hot". I have never felt like I wasn't man enough to hold it bare handed while using it when it gets warm.

The battery life is good. It lasts a entire day, and could go into the next day if I really limit my transmits. It does have the lithium battery and the battery indicator does not work well. It will show a full battery, for almost the entire life of the charge, then suddenly show almost nothing and it won't be very long before it dies. This is normal in Lithium batterys. They are made to give full power and drain at full power until they die, not gradually produce less and less power until they die.

I love the dual receive feature, and the memory channels it holds which is a ton! I like the memory banks as well! The screen has a high resolution so it packs a ton of info into the screen!

The entire construction from the knobs to the buttons are solid and feel very well built. I do not regret this purchase at all. I get great reports on the audio even using IRLP.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with this rig. I could not give it a 5 based on the fact I can't review its longevity. But I always buy iCom because I live fairly close to an iCom Repair facility and figure if I ever have an issue, I am not far from someone repairing it for me.

VK3GMO Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2010 05:07 Send this review to a friend
great value broad band and digital radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Is it perfect? Well no, what is. Yes it gets warm transmitting. I don't talk long enough for it to get too hot to touch. I bought mine on ebay for 350 aud for that price the flexibility, ease of programming which I found intuitive (having learned on a wouxun) including even setting up for dstar. I am impressed that so much is bulit into such a small package. First ICOM I have owned but no complaints. I bought it after reading the reviews here and discounting the extreme ones. A great radio and no regrets.

KB1QBZ Rating: 0/5 Feb 12, 2010 09:58 Send this review to a friend
DON'T Buy It  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Apparently the same guy who designs gas pedals and brake systems for Toyota also designs power systems for Icom HTs.

The radio turns itself off after transmissions on 440 (70cm) -- analog or digital. I sent it to Icom to look at. Their answer was basically "tough luck" -- it's a problem with their voltage regulator circuitry and the Icom batteries at the relatively high current draw of 2.1 amps on 440 and it affects about 30% of IC-91s.

Since the radio's current draw was within factory spec, the only thing they could recommend was that I replace the radio with a newer IC-92.

I replaced it all right, but not with an Icom product.

W8DEC Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2009 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired the 91AD less than a month ago. I really like this radio. I use it all the time and seems to have better receive than some of my other HT's using the same antenna (Maldol AS20).

My reasoning for the 4. I do not like the radio case. I do not like the difficult belt clip. I do not like the stock rubber duck. I do not like the radio getting too warm while transmitting on 5 Watts. I routinely use the LOW power setting anyhow.

73 de Matt W8DEC@arrl.net