Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | K1EL WK2/WKUSB Keyer Help

Reviews Summary for K1EL WK2/WKUSB Keyer
K1EL WK2/WKUSB Keyer Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $64 (kit)
Description: The WKUSB is a complete CW keyer kit, including a new K1EL Winkeyer2 IC and a USB computer interface.
More info: http://www.k1el.com/

You can write your own review of the K1EL WK2/WKUSB Keyer.

K8BZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2014 05:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
With older rigs I used the MFJ-490X memory keyer for general operating and CW contesting. It works well and has the ability to increment the serial number in a contest exchange and has lots of other features for CW weighting, right or left hand operation, de-incrementing a serial number etc. but it required hand movement from the logging program to the keyer and at times I discovered I logged several contacts when the serial number got out of sync with the logging program. Not Good.

When I upgraded to an IC-7600 for my primary rig I didn't think I would need another external memory keyer as the 7600 has one built in. It is a very good keyer and can be used for DXing and contesting with the ability to increment serial numbers while contesting. However, using the rigs keyer for contesting requires a lot of hand movement between the logging program keyboard and either an external keyboard plugged in to the 7600 or the 7600's memory keyer push buttons. Too much hand movement and fast paced accuracy is required and leads to fatigue and a high error rate.

I do my general logging and most contest logging with N3FJP's ACL general logger and Jeff's other specific contest log programs. The logging programs have a CW memory key feature that allows you to key the rig from the single logging keyboard with the F-Keys. Callsign insertion, serial number increment, auto saving to log, and may other features are included in the programs CW keyer feature. Use of the log program CW keying feature requires an available RS-232C com port or a USB to Serial interface as well as a simple 2 transistor keying interface between the PC and the rigs straight key jack. This feature uses the PC's processor to do the digital magic to send the keying voltage via the USB port to the USB to Serial interface to the keying transistors to key the rig. Adjusting the timing features in the program can be tricky and it might not be possible to adjust the timing for good CW dot/dash ratios, and there are occasional hiccups and unexpected timing anomalies.

Long story short; in order for me to be able to spend hours in a contest and be competitive, or sit through a long DX pileup I needed the ability to do my logging; calling; contest exchanging from one keyboard that resulted in good CW; with good timing and no hiccups or unwanted timing issues.

The marriage of the WinkeyUSB keyer and any good logging program, whether it's N3FJP or N1MM etc. fills the bill.

When you look at the WinkeyUSB keyer it doesn't look like much. The entire device would fit inside the MFJ-490X memory keyer with lots of room left over. It has 4 memory buttons on top and just one speed pot control in front. The rear panel has 2 key outputs and can be configured to select 1 of 2 rigs to key. It has Push to Talk outputs for each of the rigs. An external key jack and a USB connector complete the rear panel features. There is no external power (wall wart) jack on the keyer. 3 internal AAA batteries power the device when operated as an independent keyer. When operated in conjunction with a PC via a USB port the keyer is powered by the available voltage in the USB port, which electronically switches the internal battery pack off line. If you don't intent to use it as an independent keyer you don't need to install any batteries.

Before I bought the keyer I was not quite clear on how the keyer could be used and interfaced with a PC. The manufacturers web site seemed a little vague, or maybe the technology was a little over my head, and after downloading the construction manual it just didn't seem a clear as it should be for a construction manual. If you have every built a Heathkit from scratch though, nothing can compare to a Heathkit assembly manual. But the reviews on eHam.net gave me confidence that it was a simple project despite the manual. The required tools are a fine tip soldering iron, wire cutters/strippers, and a mini-phillips screw driver.

Such was the case. The keyer was assembled in an hour or so with no hitches or glitches. All documentation comes on a mini-CD and it was helpful to have a Lap-Top PC on the assembly work bench to view the instruction during assembly. The Lap-Top was also helpful as there is a keyer test program on the CD to test the keyer before it is assembled in the cabinet. If you never intend to use the keyer independent of a PC you don't even need to install the speed pot. But if you don't, then there is an empty hold in the front of the cabinet. The speed pot is electronically disabled when the keyer is controlled by a PC so you don't need to worry about the speed pot setting interfering with the desired speed as set by the PC. So I don't see why anyone would omit the speed pot install. You never know; you may want it some day.

There was lots of information about downloading drivers for the USB interface and how to install them for the PC to communicate with the keyer. But all I had to do was plug in the USB cable and the PC "Found the new hardware" and self installed the proper driver and the keyer worked right out of the gate. It came with the proper USB to keyer cable. It did not come with a cable to plug the keyer in to your rigs manual key jack. That makes sense because every rig does not use a 1/4 inch jack for the manual CW key jack. The keyer uses RCA type jacks for the key and PTT outputs, probably because they can be PC board mounted and take up less space inside the enclosure. So in my case I needed an RCA to 1/4 mono jack between the keyer and the rig. I happened to have a few already, but if you don't have one they provide information on where to order a ready made cable. But if you can assemble this keyer I'm sure you would wire a 1/4" and RCA jack on your own cable.

Now the WinkeyUSB keyer set atop the PC inside the enclosed PC cabinet and all control is sent from the N3FJP logging program. I do not have a key plugged in to the WnkeyUSB. My iambic key is plugged directly into the keyer input jack of the transceiver. Adjusting the keyer speed from the N3FJP logging program is as simple as holding the up or down arrow keys and watching the key speed display in the logging program increase or decrease accordingly. The 1 through 12 F-keys can be programmed with any desired text, including callsign insertion from the callsign field of the logging program, serial number insertion from the logging program, as well as common prosigns, and a CW loop that will repeat your CQ call or beacon or whatever at any selected interval. All contest operating can now be done by selecting one of 4 or maybe up to 6 F-keys and the only manual typing is to enter the other stations callsign, all from a single keyboard with flawless CW.

If you have worked a November Sweepstakes, Field Day or a DX contest back in the "Good ol' days" of paper logs, manual dupe checking, hand keys and/or bugs you can really appreciate what a different world contesting is today. If you search and pounce a few QSO's in a contest once in a while you wont have much need for this keyer. But if you want to compete in a CW contest this keyer is a "must have".

N3PDT Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2014 18:31 Send this review to a friend
A wonderful, modern keyer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have nothing but superlatives for this little keyer. Not much to assembly. Interfaces easily with modern computers. Running it stand alone is easy, so is running it with N1MM logger.

Highly recommended.

KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Straight forward kit, easy to assemble, test and install.

My FT2K-D has a built-in keyer, but the WKUSB gives me far more options.

Excellent product.

Nolan K.
KI5IO

KF2T Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2014 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Elegant Solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a long-time CW guy. I've got to hand it to the guys at Hamcrafters - this keyer is exactly what I am looking for. Straightforward, simple to use, and quite powerful. Assembly was quick and painless, even with my older eyes (an illuminated magnifier helps). Interfaces very well with my logger (MacLoggerDX), too.

G4AVN Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2014 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have managed to build the keyer, got it going last night 14 Jan 2014. Failing eye sight and shaking hands, yet still managed. Although I am not the cleverest person in the world, everything that is required to build and operate this piece of equipment is on the mini disc enclosed. Well done Art and Steve.

WK2W Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2014 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Good, Simple Design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembly is very fast and easy. The keyer is a simple, straightforward design that does what it's supposed to do without unnecessary features. The assembly manual includes complete schematics, and the mini CD that comes with the kit includes everything necessary to get it running.

NE5C Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Cats Meeeoooow!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finished the kit in about an hour, I have to say that QUALITY is just awesome with this new K1EL Keyer, everything went together just as per instructions, software is fantastic, These Gentlemen ARE ATTENTION TO DETAIL and this kit is the best money I have spent on Ham gear. Thank you Guys for a wonderful product, and I love the way it works with Ham Radio Deluxe...AWESOME...JUST AWESOME 8-) happy camper here, God Bless DE N5JFJ

ON4VP Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2013 07:08 Send this review to a friend
WKUSB-SMT Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the WKUSB-SMT Kit with latest Winkey3 IC (V30) directly from the K1EL website. It took two weeks to show up at my doorstep over here in Europe.

After unpacking I noticed a very small scratch on the front of the enclosure. Lucky for me the scratch was next to the hole of the speed pot meter so the knob covers it up.

The board is first class and all components fit very well to the board. Soldering takes aprox. half hour to complete and is very well documented with text and photos. When battery power was applied the winkeyer responded with "R".

If all components are ligned up well, the keyer looks nice and it is a good looking kit. I love the two outputs that can be switched from the command port (stand alone) or from within the software. Two complete set of memories and settings can be saved. Good thinking.

The keyer (V30, version3) has a lot of extended stand alone features. Great on board software.
I've been using the keyer in qro power environment and the WKUSB-SMT works fine, no RF issues.

I regret that over here in Europe we have to pay 50% more due to taxes and handling. It would be nice that the seller looks out for a EU redistributer to overcome these problems. I asked the seller to make a note on the invoice to state that it is a kit and not a finished product, than taxes are lower but they refused that. I regret they did.

Hardware I rate 5, service I therefor only rate 3 so final ration is 4.

N4MB Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 21:36 Send this review to a friend
EASY Build of a GREAT product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm one of the slowest builders on Earth and I just built the WinKey USB SMT keyer in under a half hour.

With the new SMT product, hard to solder components come already built on to the beautifully masked circuit board and the assembly is easy... at the end you have one of these beautiful K1EL WinKey USB Keyers!

The metal enclosure with quality components is first class. I've used simple keyers, but the original K1EL WinKey keyer is supported by almost all keying/contesting/logging software and I'm pleased to now own one!

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Everything went smooth, from assembling the kit to installing the USB drivers and the software.

I'm very impressed!!