Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | K1EL WK2/WKUSB Keyer Help

Reviews Summary for K1EL WK2/WKUSB Keyer
K1EL WK2/WKUSB Keyer Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $64 (kit)
Description: The WKUSB is a complete CW keyer kit, including a new K1EL Winkeyer2 IC and a USB computer interface.
More info: http://www.k1el.com/

You can write your own review of the K1EL WK2/WKUSB Keyer.

KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Straight forward kit, easy to assemble, test and install.

My FT2K-D has a built-in keyer, but the WKUSB gives me far more options.

Excellent product.

Nolan K.
KI5IO

KF2T Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2014 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Elegant Solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a long-time CW guy. I've got to hand it to the guys at Hamcrafters - this keyer is exactly what I am looking for. Straightforward, simple to use, and quite powerful. Assembly was quick and painless, even with my older eyes (an illuminated magnifier helps). Interfaces very well with my logger (MacLoggerDX), too.

G4AVN Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2014 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have managed to build the keyer, got it going last night 14 Jan 2014. Failing eye sight and shaking hands, yet still managed. Although I am not the cleverest person in the world, everything that is required to build and operate this piece of equipment is on the mini disc enclosed. Well done Art and Steve.

WK2W Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2014 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Good, Simple Design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembly is very fast and easy. The keyer is a simple, straightforward design that does what it's supposed to do without unnecessary features. The assembly manual includes complete schematics, and the mini CD that comes with the kit includes everything necessary to get it running.

NE5C Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Cats Meeeoooow!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finished the kit in about an hour, I have to say that QUALITY is just awesome with this new K1EL Keyer, everything went together just as per instructions, software is fantastic, These Gentlemen ARE ATTENTION TO DETAIL and this kit is the best money I have spent on Ham gear. Thank you Guys for a wonderful product, and I love the way it works with Ham Radio Deluxe...AWESOME...JUST AWESOME 8-) happy camper here, God Bless DE N5JFJ

ON4VP Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2013 07:08 Send this review to a friend
WKUSB-SMT Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the WKUSB-SMT Kit with latest Winkey3 IC (V30) directly from the K1EL website. It took two weeks to show up at my doorstep over here in Europe.

After unpacking I noticed a very small scratch on the front of the enclosure. Lucky for me the scratch was next to the hole of the speed pot meter so the knob covers it up.

The board is first class and all components fit very well to the board. Soldering takes aprox. half hour to complete and is very well documented with text and photos. When battery power was applied the winkeyer responded with "R".

If all components are ligned up well, the keyer looks nice and it is a good looking kit. I love the two outputs that can be switched from the command port (stand alone) or from within the software. Two complete set of memories and settings can be saved. Good thinking.

The keyer (V30, version3) has a lot of extended stand alone features. Great on board software.
I've been using the keyer in qro power environment and the WKUSB-SMT works fine, no RF issues.

I regret that over here in Europe we have to pay 50% more due to taxes and handling. It would be nice that the seller looks out for a EU redistributer to overcome these problems. I asked the seller to make a note on the invoice to state that it is a kit and not a finished product, than taxes are lower but they refused that. I regret they did.

Hardware I rate 5, service I therefor only rate 3 so final ration is 4.

N4MB Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 21:36 Send this review to a friend
EASY Build of a GREAT product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm one of the slowest builders on Earth and I just built the WinKey USB SMT keyer in under a half hour.

With the new SMT product, hard to solder components come already built on to the beautifully masked circuit board and the assembly is easy... at the end you have one of these beautiful K1EL WinKey USB Keyers!

The metal enclosure with quality components is first class. I've used simple keyers, but the original K1EL WinKey keyer is supported by almost all keying/contesting/logging software and I'm pleased to now own one!

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Everything went smooth, from assembling the kit to installing the USB drivers and the software.

I'm very impressed!!

Cheers All....

ZL1BBW Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 02:26 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the kit and held my breath for it to arrive via Intl mail, it was here in 7 or 8 days. Nicely packed and everything was there. The small R's are very small, almost impossible to read the colour code. Built it over 2 or 3 evenings when I had some spare time. Turned it on, in fear and trepidation and well blow me down it worked. Getting it hooked up to the com port was a bit of mission, the CD drive on the Radio PC, decided to not work so had to copy all the files across on a USB stick.

Very pleased and happily surprised, its a long time since I have build anything, now just got to get on the contest circuit.

Well done to the suppliers.

KB9FBI Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2013 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Easy build and works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this kit for more than a couple of years now and it does everything that I need with an electronic keyer that is capable of being controlled by a computer program like DM780.
As far as the kit goes, this was probably the easiest kit that I have ever put together. Build time was under 2 hours and it worked like a charm right off the bat. I wouldn't be afraid to buy any product that K1EL offers after the experience with this kit.