Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 8100 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 8100
Alpha 8100 Reviews: 20 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $4850.00
Description: Its an Alpha, its rugged, its manual tune and its full legal limit... what else do you need to know? Ok well heres a little bit more. The Alpha 8100 utilizes an enhanced version of the bombproof RF deck found in the Alpha 99. On the 8100s control board youll find a microprocessor that allows us to calibrate the power and gain metering for each specific band, normalize amplification performance and increase reliability and durability. All of these functions aggregate into a single greater benefit for the user, ease of tuning. The 8100 comes stock with a serial port for remote monitoring and performance data logging. The power supply stack found in the 8100 has been designed for maximum durability and reliability while allowing for extremely easy voltage tap changes.
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 8100.

SQ8IFG Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2013 01:39 Send this review to a friend
My Ham Radio Dream  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had the privilege to work on this great amp and I am very impressed with the accuracy of performance as well as simplicity and speed tuning. It has a very solid knobs not like some amplifier manufacturers from Europe. It is built on readily available, reliable and affordable lamps in Poland. All the time looking through ads with radio equipment with the hope that someone wants to sell this amp but unfortunately the ad does not appear :-( Well done RF Concepts!

W4CM Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2012 09:32 Send this review to a friend
KEEPER AMP !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my 8100 used from RF Concepts one year ago this month. I asked for a great performing and cosmetic perfect amp and that is what Molly sent me. I would like to see the documentation on checking microprocessor settings a little more in detail and easier to follow. I think that if you can monitor the parameters of the amp and always make sure everything is operating within the proper range the amp and you will be a lot happier.

When the bias is properly set this amp can be driven with 27-35 watts and achieve 1500W out.

I think this amp is a Keeper.

NY6C Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got mine 'pre-owned' from Alpha...works great and delivers the legal limit with ease. What I really like are the Tune and Load presets. I have a small chart with the presets and it makes tuning a snap...just dial in the correct numbers and touch it up with about 50W-55W of drive for the limit. Tuning takes just 5-10 seconds.

-Greg NY6C

K9GS Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2012 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my 8100 used in October 2011. In fact, the amp I bought was formerly owned by WIW, one of the other e-ham reviewers of this amp.

This amp is a workhorse. Never a hiccup it just runs and produces power day in and day out. I've used it in several contests and never had any issues.

Very smooth tuning and easily driven by my K3. QSK is flawless.

Gary K9GS

KI6UAL Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2011 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Reliability  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted to own this amp for at least 18 months before writing a review in order to not be swayed by the excitement of being a new Alpha owner. I purchased this amp used direct from Alpha. I called Alpha looking for a 8100 or a 99. Approx 1 week later they called me and asked if I would like to purchase a 8100. The amp would come with a 4 year warranty on the amp, and 2 years on the tubes. I thought that this was a great warranty, so I told Alpha to ship the amp. Amp arrived in absolutely pristine condition.

I have been very impressed with the amps performance. I have not had one single problem with this amp. I love the amp's protective circuitry. If one forgets to change the band setting when switching bands, the amp will quickly default for 4 seconds to protect the amp. This feature has worked perfectly on every occasion. The front panel is laid out very nicely, and the RF output display is very easy to read. Due to the amp's sophisticated electronic control,an ALC input is not needed, simplifying amplifier hook up. Tune up is VERY quick and easy, unlike my 2 former Ameritron amps.

There are 3 small things that I would change regarding this amp:

1. The band switch knob "white indicator line" is different than the tune and load knobs which point directly to the tune and load values. The band switch knob white line does not point directly to the band value which has caused me to not have the band switch knob set to the proper band on a few ocassions. Alpha should switch to a similar knob that they have on the tune and load knob to avoid this problem.

2.The band switch knob is very hard to turn. This switch should be redesigned to allow easier operation.

3. The HV/IP/GAIN switch is too small. Alpha should replace this switch with a larger higher quality knob.

KI4RFS Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2011 07:58 Send this review to a friend
5+  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally purchased my 8100 used but in great condition. I echo the previous comments about build quality and full legal limit at approximately 35 watts out. The crux of my additional comment is that I am a MARS operator and routinely operate far outside of normal bands. I found that at times I was faulting on some of the frequencies causing the 8100 to shut down. I spoke with Molly and sent it into Alpha. While the shipping was not covered by the warranty, the modifications necessary to have it work fully for all MARS requirements was covered at no additional charge. Molly and Alpha were fantastic and my customer service experience was second to none. Would I recommend the 8100, most certainly. Would I purchase another Alpha product? Definitely! Bravo Alpha.

W6LQP Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2011 23:57 Send this review to a friend
Top Drawer Equipment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When you can consistently end up #1 or #2 in any DX pileup it reminds you that a few dollars more at the onset was more than worth it. As a professional engineer, I am truly impressed with the integrity and construction of the 8100. It is a perfect match for my FT-2000D and takes only 35-40 watts to drive to legal limit. Tune and Load presets from Maggie were right on the money. While I miss my old Serial #101 Henry 2K, I will likely never own any other amp in the future besides an Alpha.

W0IW Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Wow factor 10+++  Time owned: more than 12 months
All I can say is SSB/CW or even doing RTTY they ...100%...LOAF ... at legal limit with 35 watts of drive, dont matter what band, 160-10m doing RTTY contests they are doing legal limit and not even getting hot.. I had to upgrade all my ocf antenna baluns, to keep up with the 8100's...

Wow factor 10+++

Joe Leto
WIW

W5ZZT Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2010 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had this amp for about a month. It was a trade-in that I bought from Alpha. I have to say it was a pleasant experiencing buying from them and dealing with Molly. She stays on top of things and is there to help if needed.

When I first got it and took the cover off to install the transformer I couldn't believe how well built it was.

The amp tuned up just like it should and is a pleasure to use.

N4EXA Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2010 08:50 Send this review to a friend
ROCKS!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, it is built like a tank. Contest after contest it just gives you a 1500W,no sweat. To my surprise back in 2007 I did WW RTTY contest and just to be safe I set it to 800W and it got very HOT, well I looked in manual and learned it will run hotter with 800W then 1500W. We just turn the power up and did 48 hours RTTY with no problem.
This is my second Alpha( first was 99)and I will advice anybody to invest in this great AMP.

See some pics on my web site http://www.e73m.com