Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Diamond BB-7V 80-10 vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond BB-7V 80-10 vertical
Diamond BB-7V 80-10 vertical Reviews: 19 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $499.00 (Au$)
Description: Multi band hf vertical antenna

You can write your own review of the Diamond BB-7V 80-10 vertical.

N0LTM Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2011 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Comparable to Outbacker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I decided to try this antenna after getting tired of venturing out to the backyard to move the wander lead on my outbacker whenever I wanted to change bands. I have used the outbacker/tripod combination for about 10 years. This antenna is basically equivalent to the outbacker with the exception that you don't need to venture outside to change the wander lead. I don't really need to use a tuner with this antenna although in my installation 40 meters the SWR does approach 2:1. The other bands are fine. I do not use this antenna on 80 meters since it really doesn't get out. My outbacker was also useless on 80 meters due to the small size of the antenna. Overall, I'm happy with this antenna.

TA1CAK Rating: 3/5 Dec 9, 2010 07:03 Send this review to a friend
What do you expect??  Time owned: more than 12 months
What do you expect from this vertical antenna?
If you say you can not put up any radials around, then 5/5. Want to work 80m? Not a chance to tx (maybe QRPPP out of the antenna) 0/5. Mounted on a 1m high wooden pole just on the beach of Yesilkoy Lighthouse, the first two station on 17m were VU and 8Q. When we mounted the antenna on top of a 10m mast, the SWR was infinite. You have to mount these antennas low, near to the ground.
The price can not be a match for homebrew monobanders(30$ at the most)which definitely out perform but if you do not have the space to have the dipole(+40m) then BB7V can be a nice choice. Mechanically it can be tricky and if you misalign the pull-lock part once then you are in trouble.

N5DCT Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2010 17:58 Send this review to a friend
As advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the BB7V the other day. Assembly was a snap. It's mounted on a 15 ft pole in the back yard. I used a MFJ 993B automatic tuner and got 1:1 and 1:4 SWR's on all bands. I tried it without a tuner and got about the same results except on 40 and 10 meters which were 4:1 on both bands. Great antenna if you have limited space or just don't want to mess up the neighborhood with a monster tower.

IT9JCB Rating: 3/5 Aug 19, 2010 17:21 Send this review to a friend
graound improves the antennaa  Time owned: months
This is my 2nd review after some experiments with grounding. At first time I installed the antenna as per instructions manual, but discovered that in this way the coax ground was pratically floating !! So, I did connect with a piece of wire the external body of the coax to the supporting pole (about 3 mtrs) and found good improvement in 20 and 30 meters only. The mistery was solved observing that the total lenght of the antenna (7 meters) and the support (3 meters) gives an off-center vertical windom on 20 mtrs).
I don't understand how the diamond's engineers brain it's working ! Anyone owning this antenna can try some radial of proper lenght to make the antenna a total of half-wavelenght.
Anyway, it remains a very expensive dummy load !

G8JNJ Rating: 3/5 Apr 26, 2010 08:16 Send this review to a friend
OK for genaral monitoring and occasional QSOs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The BB7V matching unit is the same as the BB6W.

I have tested a BB7V in comparison to a Comet CHA-250 and also a few other methods of matching a similar length radiating element.

Pictures of inside the matching unit and other information can be found here.

Martin G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

NN5O Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2009 19:23 Send this review to a friend
BB-7V on Saltwater  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second year I have taked the BB-7V to Ireland to work CQWWSSB from the Ring of Kerry. Every trip I get a terrible gale and this year, it lasted 14 hours with winds 30 to 60 mph sustained. Several other vertical and beam antenna systems have been destroyed by the winds, but the Diamond keeps on ticking. This year, it ticked to 165,000 total points with 65 countries and 18 zones on 15 meters and was nearly as good on 20. I used aligator clips to add a 32' and a 22' radial to the base of the antenna which was usually between 8 to 20 feet from saltwater with a clear shot in all directions. For a quick and dirty bullet proof all band antenna which is very portable, you would be hard pressed to beat the BB-7V.
Jim, EI2VNO and NN5O

KG4RUL Rating: 1/5 Mar 25, 2009 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Not good at all!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had none of the mechanical problems others have had. In fact, the telescoping and locking mechanism is an excellent piece of engineering and manufacturing.

However, installing this antenna in place of my 23', Force12, flagpole antenna proved just how badly it performs.

I finally ended up re-installing the flagpole, removing the 'matching network' from the the BB-7V and clamping it to the top of the flagpole. I connected the lead from the the antenna that formerly went to the 'matching network' to the top of the flagpole and - EUREKA!!! Now I have a great performing antenna!

What I have ended up with is the classic 43' foot vertical. I have minimal radials and no matching transformer. It tunes up easily with my MFJ autotuner and performs well.

Unless you have NO OTHER choice, I would not recommend this or the equivalent Comet product.

W0TBX Rating: 0/5 Feb 28, 2009 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Useless  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased the First BB-7V 9/08, D.O.A. Returned
to Diamond. Received the replacement with advent
of bad weather. First opportunity to erect 2/09
with a break in the weather. Following the paper
work to move the antenna to different location(s)
due to noise etc. A number of locations proved to
solve nothing. The antenna will not tune on 10m
mistake.

Bob W0tbx

AF6DE Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2008 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the BB-7V for about 8 months now and it has performed reasonalby well. Just last week, I purchased a Yaesu FT-950 and it works very well with the bb-7V. I did change the location of the antenna to a balcony with a fiberglass military mast section for a total of about 22-26 feet (top of antenna) I also took a long section of 4" coated chicken wire type of mesh 4' x 12' and laid it on the ground and hooked one end to a ground break out box (tapped the shield of the coax) and hooked the grid to it. Last This week, I talked to W. Virginia and Pennsylvania and JAPAN from a 100W XMTR from California and the BB-7V, so It all depends on HOW you have it oriented and connected. Experiment a little, try a ground mesh, it couldnt hurt and you may find that this really is a pretty good antenna! Just as an educational point, the grey thing on the bottom is a impedance matching transformer, not a balun. it covers 40-6M (yes 6 meteers with a tuner)

KA1PPV Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2008 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only been using the BB7V for about 3 months but so far no complaints. It's mounted 25 ft AGL into a good ground. I operate mostly PSK on 20 meters and have regularly made contacts in Europe,Central America and USA all with 1.5 watts or less. When 'ol Sol decides to throw a bit more radiation this way things should get very interesting indeed.