Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Diamond BB-7V 80-10 vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond BB-7V 80-10 vertical
Diamond BB-7V 80-10 vertical Reviews: 19 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $499.00 (Au$)
Description: Multi band hf vertical antenna

You can write your own review of the Diamond BB-7V 80-10 vertical.

W2JLB Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2008 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Works For Me! II  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update to my previous review. Iíve now had this antenna for about 8 months.

Since my first review, Iíve reduced my coax run from 50 to 25 feet of RG-8X. I have nothing in the coax feed line. I have replaced the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V with the Yaesu FT-2000D. This radio adds 60 and 6 meters to the bands it operates on. Iíve also discovered that with the internal antenna tuner, I can easily tune both 160 and 6 meters with this antenna although itís not designed for these bands. I can operate 80, 40, 30 and 20 meter bands WITHOUT using the internal tuner. All of this with full power of 200 watts using a CW signal.

I did encounter some RF ďin the shackĒ coming down the coax. Also my computer is right next to the rig and there is a 26Ē CRT TV on the other side of the rig. They both received a small bit of RFI. A few strategically placed chokes solved all these issues.

I continue to be impressed with the performance on all bands especially 40 and 80 meters.

The caveat here is this is how it WORKS FOR ME. Take into account my high-end transceiver, the location of the antenna on top of a 7 story building and the fact that there is nothing (no external tuner) in the coax feed line. So your mileage may vary.

Other than these changes everything in my first review still applies.

W4KG Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2008 18:31 Send this review to a friend
It Works Fine For Me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The reason I give it a 4 is the price is a bit high for what you get.
This is a good mobile set up antenna.
I use it for QRP and it comes through as Diamond
has said it would, Granted ground radials make it work better but what vertical antenna doesn't. I use it for a fast setup and use antenna that gets the job done. I mount it 10 foot off the ground
from the side of my small trailer running an
Icom 703+. I have used a dry lube on the sections so they will slide better, And I drilled two small holes at the bottom to drain rain water that finds it's way in. the only other antenna that I looked at was the buddy pole at about the same price range but set up was an issue with my use on the trailer and to many parts to loose.

KG4GZW Rating: 2/5 Mar 25, 2008 07:52 Send this review to a friend
change of heart  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Upon the time of purchase until now things have changed. The tuning coil attached to the bottom is useless. You are better to ground mount it without the coil,use maybe a 1.1 balun for antenna & radial attachment.Well heck ,i could have bought myself a piece of aluminum tube to do that and save $$$$. My coil became damaged and i sent numerous emails to RF Parts requesting info to purchase another coil, but to no avail. If you need replacement parts forget contacting RF Parts, their customer service sucks. Even tried contacting Japan- nothing. I give low score on performance & customer service followup. SAVE YOUR MONEY,BUY A PIECE OF TUBE INSTEAD,OR CUT A DIPOLE,CONSTRUCT NON-CONDUCTIVE BRACKETS TO SECURE THE WIRE ALONG SIDE THE MAST AND FINISH IT OUT WITH EQUAL LENGHT OF RADIALS OR LONGER.

KA4AIY Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2007 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Good in wind  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought one 6 months ago... any all-band vertical is noted as a compromise, but this one works well. All the complaints seem to be focused on it's portable utility.. IE the screws and the tight fit of the the telescoping sections... I bought one to be used as base vertical up on the roof here in the windy region of New Mexico. I replaced the section clips with stainless steel sheet metal screws as I have no reason to take it on the road. I have had many contacts and find it withstanding gale force winds routinely. It does not use radials and I find it operates all bands less than 2:1 SWR. As I said, it's a good compromise as it doesn't require radials and I get a lot of 599 reports operating on 20 M in PSK31 mode. One should keep in mind Hams are a cranky bunch... me for sure... but I find the negatives here are off my radar, as it works for me mounted up 15 feet over the roof of home. All bands, I even find that it tunes to a 1.5:1 SWR on 160 Meters through my LDG AT-7000. So while no WAS bragging rights come with this "stick" I find it a good no-radial compromise that stands up to strong winds.

WA4CYP Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2007 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Meets MY needs FB.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an urban QTH and need a compact antenna with a low visual profile. I wanted multi-band capability. You can read about my experience with this little antenna in detail at http://web.tampaby.rr.com/bushman/Diamond.htm but in summary it has allowed me to make contacts anytime that I fire up the rig. My prior experiences with more effiecent mono-band antennas were less satisfactory (as the ionosphere does not always cooperate). The ability to instantly go where the action is more than compensates for the inefficency of such a compact design.

KD6IQS Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2007 22:54 Send this review to a friend
I'm satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I gave kind of a prelim review on this antenna when I first received it. Now that I've had it a while, I think I can offer
more info.

I did make two contacts to Europe (one in Lithuania and one
in Moscow) wth 100 watts. I was told that my signal was at least 5/7 in each case and the received QSO was also 5/7.

As these were my first two overseas DX QSO's, I was quite
proud of these contacts and that pretty much settled any
doubts I might have had about the antenna.

In terms of construction, I wasn't totally impressed. The antenna
does expand and retract fairly easy, but the screw holes are
a disaster. Of the five or six screw holes, I think I got only one
screw to fit in all the way. The others seemed to jam before
getting the screws completely in place.

But I think in spite of the sligth mechanical issue, I am quite
pleased with the performance. Also, the antenna tunes up
very quickly. The antenna is mounted on a mast about 20 feet
above ground. I'd probably recommend it in spite of the
assembly problems I experienced.

KI4LMZ Rating: 2/5 May 19, 2007 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna / Bad Machining  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received BB7V. Great antenna on the antenna side. At ten feet off the ground on pole mounted on trailer hitch on back of my truck, I made contact with Belgium with 100w (20m) from Western Tennessee. Gave a 2 rating instead of 5 for the following reason:

Problem was with the aluminum telescoping section (#6)after extending. I tried to collapse the antenna for storage and a metal shaving (residue from mfg drilling the set-screw hole) wedged the section in the extended position. VERY annoying. Finally got the antenna retracted. Now will not extend again. Now waiting to call Ham Radio Outlet on Monday for replacement or return. I want the antenna, but I bought it for a portable, emergency, quick setup / take down (as advertised). Metal shavings or burrs in the telescoping section are not good. I am confident that HRO will make good. Will let you know if they do not.

JOHN123 Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2007 04:27 Send this review to a friend
easy setup,well made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi everybody,i searched quit a while,for a multiband vertical from 80 to 10,and this one is absolute good to be qrv on all bands,for people who have also no space(limited space).Set up really easy,swr whitout tuner surprising good,all bands (80,40,20,17,15)< 1,5 except from 12-10mtr you need an external tuner,low pass filter is a must, very good is the bencher ya-1,but the kenwood lf-30a,is also good,i must say the rx is good,i listen stations from usa/russia/africa/etc... 5/9(+)if propagation is good,and the tx with qrp power 25 w only ,far away in russia,kazachstan,etc...asiatic russia,5/9 on 20 mtr,drops a 2/3 s units on 80 mtr,but he, what do you expect from a multiband(you cannot compare with a monoband),I think overall this antenna performes good,if you want the best on each band,and you have a lot off space:-),place a monoband for for each band,but for people with limited space is this a very good solution,all in all i'm very pleased,i hope this is a helpfull comment for those,who have also limited space,best 73's good dx

W1PR Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2006 21:20 Send this review to a friend
very satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For my occasional operation as JE1LRT in Tokyo from the top floor of a 6-story condo I don't have the room to string wire dipoles, so I'm limited to using a vertical. For simplicity I wanted an antenna that could be erected and taken down with a minimum of hassle. A decent radial system is also impossible because of space restrictions. All band HF operation would be a real plus. I discovered the BB-7V in a ham store in Tokyo's famous Akihibara "electric town." It had just been marketed there, and was not yet available in the US. It seemed to fit my requirements so I shelled out the yen and took it home. Once you get past the terrible English instructions, putting it up is a snap. Having no access to cold water pipes, I used a bolt that secures the deck railing to the outside wall of the building for a ground. From the ground, the antenna was almost invisible. It withstood some pretty brisk winds, too. My rig is an FT-897D with the LDG antenna tuner. A tuner, by the way, is required.
My low level expectations were exceeded. I was able to work the CW WPX contest successfully (at least the big guns) and even was able to break some DXpeditions' pileups. I had QSOs on all bands 80 through 12, but not 10. I tried loading it on 6 meters just for the hell of it, but it wouldn't play (nor was it supposed to, so no complaints). In about 10 days of operation in May 2006, with condx not particularly good, I worked 39 countries and all continents but Africa.
All in all, I was favorably impressed. This is a good antenna for space-limited locations and temporary portable operation. It's not a SteppIR, but you'll get your share of contacts.