Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | W5JH Black Widow Paddle Kit Help

Reviews Summary for W5JH Black Widow Paddle Kit
W5JH Black Widow Paddle Kit Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $57
Description: This paddle is of all brass construction with a 3 inch x 3 inch base. It uses computer controlled machined parts for excellent fit and accuracy. The paddle has both spring and magnetic return force. The paddle arms ride on precision ball bearings for an extremely smooth feel. The contacts are Silver Plated for low resistance. Each arm has a Silver Plated wire ground to prevent intermittents. Almost everything is adjustable including bearing tension, contact spacing, and magnetic return force. Set screws lock everything down once you set the paddle the way you like it. A small allen wrench is provided for the set screws. Knurled nuts are provided to connect your cable to the paddle. Soft plastic feet keep the 1 lb 7 oz paddle from sliding around your table.
More info: http://www.w5jh.net/Black_Widow.htm

You can write your own review of the W5JH Black Widow Paddle Kit.

K6KOI Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2011 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Enjoyable project  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The kit includes precision parts, with well written instructions and lots of photos allowing for an enjoyable kit building experience. The paddle feels right and competes well with my four other facturary paddles, all of which were more expensive. I do recommend that it be assembled on a towel or better yet in a box top to prevent the ball bearings and other parts from "escaping". That was a lesson I learned the hard way! (The search for the two ball bearings was successful and resulted in a very clean ham shack floor.)

XV4TUJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2011 00:09 Send this review to a friend
Best value for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got number 1099. A lot of fun building it and a lot of pleasure using it. First time working with brass for me but finishing and assembling went easy and fast (around 10 hours) for a result I think I can be proud of.
The key is easy to adjust and smooth to use. Good design makes simple and inexpensive technical solution work really well. You have all you paid for, no more, no less.
It is my first paddle so no way to compare with other products. One month learning sending code with this key has been a great experience. You will soon hear me on CW on the air.
Best value for the price so far. You just need a pair of tools and few hours of work to have your own key.

WD0BC Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2011 12:12 Send this review to a friend
FEEL ...SLICK AND SMOOTHE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanting something smaller fairly small for QRP RV/Picknick Table camping rig.

Heard about the "BLACK WIDOW" and zipped to the internet and looked at the sight...Ordered one and received it quickly....need it too the CABIN FEVER has set in big time.

Upon opening the package I was a little disapointed with the scratches on the baseplate and the swing arms. My fears did not last long. Used 800 and crocus cloth (sp) and after two hours it was slick and smoothe. Had to work extra on the "pieces banging togather in the bucket" type dings but all is fine now.

Shot a coat of "Plasti-spray" on her and let it dry overnight. Real dry inside due to the heavy furnace time caused by the snow we have outside.

Today I assembled the kit and it went togather rather well. Instructions were more than adiquate and the photos made it a snap. NOW for the SMOKE test and final adjustment.

About 10 minutes with 5 watts to my dummie load and I have found the SWEET SPOT!

This key is smoothe....

Highly recomend this for the money and ease of assembly and how it works....

W9DDK Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2010 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have SN 1042. Arrived in short order and was as evey one described. Even broke one of the red caps as previous reviewer described.

Finishing was straight forward and easy to do. Instructions were spot on adn easy to follow.

Setup was quick and works flawlessly. Great job at a great price.

NA9DH Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2010 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic paddle!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got s/n 1000 recently and have to agree with those who said that the action is smooth. I had no trouble adjusting it to perfection (for me).

The kit was made of high quality materials and was easy to build. I spent abt 7 hours finishing it. Put a mirror finish on all the horizontal surfaces and a satin finish on the vertical surfaces, looks fb to me. Like a big dummy I lost one of the silver wires, I just used stripped wire wrap wire 'cause I wanted to finish it, I'm sure that Jerry would have helped if I asked.

I liked having the instructions on a CD; I put a laptop on the bench and could see what I had to do quickly. One plus is that one can use the magnets to hold the springs and small screws in one place, tough to loose them. I split one of the red caps by putting too much pressure on it, no sweat, I installed it on one of the magnets and have the split facing the base, again I did not bother Jerry.

If you are looking for a paddle and like to build kits this critter is the way to go. The price is great too.

VK4JAZ Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2010 15:37 Send this review to a friend
This one's a keeper!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am now the proud owner of S/N 913. I have traditionally been a straight key man and had never tried a paddle before I bought this little beauty. So when I decided to take the plunge and try a paddle, I decided to give this one a go first because I like construction things and I didn't want to risk too much money on something I might not like. I needn't have worried. This kit is fabulous, it's easy to built and is great fun to use. So smooth that I have consigned my two straight keys (Junker and GPO key) to a display in the shack.

WB8YYY Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2010 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Beyond Expectation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to admit I was a skeptic. Its feel is amazing rivaling factory units I have used. Action is smooth and plenty of adjustments. I ordered the oblong finger pieces. Kit delivery is fast and customer service top notch. Material is high quality and assembly is straight forward with only sanding, polishing, clear lacquer, attaching screws and simple soldering. Product is optimally weighted for me and paddles seem to be closer spaced than the Kent. One does not need a huge effort in finishing this nice paddle.

CT1BWW Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2009 04:10 Send this review to a friend
SUPER PADDLE !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've several paddles and also built my own. This is really a great PIECE paddle project. This is on Kit with all informations on CD on final you have a very and SUPER PADDLE. Also very good comunication and fast information about shipping.
I will buy another one for my QRP Operations!
Works great! I'n VERY HAPPY!

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2009 09:09 Send this review to a friend
GREAT KEY  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great Do-It-Yourself paddle project, with a lot of leeway to customize it to your own tastes. The base has enough weight to stay put. Works great!

TOPPER Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2009 00:03 Send this review to a friend
This the one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quick service. Goes together in a straight forward way. More time on the finish = better looks. Has a good 'feel'. Worth the $.