Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | S & S Engineering Ark Series Help

Reviews Summary for S & S Engineering Ark Series
S & S Engineering Ark Series Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: Synthesized CW Transceivers
More info: http://www.sseng.com

You can write your own review of the S & S Engineering Ark Series.

DD3LY Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2004 02:57 Send this review to a friend
High quality and very sturdy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Step by step I found all three models: ARK-40, ARK-30 and ARK-20. The ARK-30 is my favourite radio, 30m is less hectic than 40m or 20m. I can tell that I am really satisfied with the quality, signal purity and keying of these radios. All signal reports confirm and underline this. These radios rarely seem to be sold. Many hams keep them on the shelf, maybe due to sentimental reason (these radios really look neat). So if you want to buy one you have to become active and post an ad in the online swapmeets and ask for one. Do not be afraid because of the tuning switches. This looks like a drawback. Yes, tuning is not so fast but you will become calmer working with these radios which is an advantage too (maybe I grow old,hi)... and the military constructors know why they used this way: simple and robust.

WB8DQT Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2002 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Top-of-the-line transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built the 30 meter version (ARK-30). The kit is complex but the manual is superb and all components of the highest quality. There are no problems in building the radio if you take your time. The transceiver is built like a rock and next to indestructable. With respect to receiver performance and the quality of the transmitter signal, this is the best transceiver I have ever used, let alone owned!. While I usually operate it from the home station, I have run it mobile and took it with me for some field work on the North Slope of Alaska. Using either a ground-plane or R7000 vertical, I have Worked All States and about 50 countries. With several thousand QSOs in the log, reports have always been superlative with respect to stability and keying. Simply put, If I had to make do with just a single radio, it would be this one.

KB7OEX Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2001 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Highest Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an S&S ARK 40 and thoroughly enjoy it. If you like quality and durability you will love this radio. Yes it's a bit pricey but that is because nothing was spared when it comes to quality, durability, and a well written manual. The folks that designed it are helpful, friendly, and prompt. I have zero reservations about this radio.