Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | microHAM USB Interface II Help

Reviews Summary for microHAM USB Interface II
microHAM USB Interface II Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $159
Description: These USB Interfaces provide a solution to the lack of available Serial (COM) ports for controlling your radio on laptop and newer desktop computers.

The USB interface II includes full optical isolation of all control signals (radio control, CW, PTT and Squelch) and high quality audio transformer isolation (with level trimmers) for audio to your radio's rear panel audio input and from the radio's constant level audio.

microHAM USB Interfaces have built-in hardware support for any radio - you no longer need additional level converters like CT-62, IF-232, FIF-232, CT-17. The drivers include support for software CW keying (DTR) and PTT (RTS) - there is no need for additional hardware.
More info: http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/USB%20interfaces.html

You can write your own review of the microHAM USB Interface II.

N2RRA Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2008 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Awesome! Buying another!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Can't say I've had any problems with brokens wires like the fellow down below, but I guess if your not careful it's easy to blame the other guy.

I've had mines for 2 years and it has been working flawlessly, and now adding another to the shack to an Icom 7000. I highly recommend this unit for ease of digital communications.

73!

AD7EF Rating: 4/5 May 22, 2008 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Works great, but the cables don't travel well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my unit for about a year and a half. I bought it with cables for both my Icom 756-ProII base-station and the Yaesu FT-897D I use on the road.

Initially, I found that the microHAM USB Interface II performs as advertised. I used it with HRD to experiment with a wide variety of digital-mode programs.

I probably wouldn't have spent the money on the Icom cable-set if I had known how inconvenient it is to switch between different styles of radio with this interface... you have to open the case and move a bunch of jumpers around to switch between the Icom and Yaesu configurations.

However, I primarily wanted to use this interface when I was on business trips with the FT-897D. As I was saying, that went well for the first few trips, but then I started experiencing intermittent control problems, and intermittant audio on receive.

I checked the interface with my Icom system, and found it was working just fine there. So then, I opened my Yaesu and started looking for some loose connections around the CAT jacks. It's a long, sad story, but I managed to blow up my FT-897D when I mis-aligned a ribbon connector between two pcb's! In addition to several hours of sleuthing, I ended up buying the service manual and a $5 IC to repair that damage.

The problems were actually due to the flimsy 30-gauge solid-conductor wires in the interface cables. A couple of these wires had broken away from the connector pins in the D-connector that plugs into the interface box. After re-soldering the affected leads, everything was back to normal.

I don't know if microHAM has these cables made by another contractor, but they're nowhere near the quality of the circuitry inside the interface box. Probably not a problem if you install the hardware once or twice at a fixed location, but not a good choice if you plan to throw the cables in a "go kit".

I'm planning to rework the cables with better quality wire when I have the time, but for now I'm just real careful how I handle them, and I know what to look for if I experience further problems in the meantime.

73's

Mark
AD7EF

AI4LG Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2008 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Still Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over a year later, my USB Interface II is still functioning flawlessly. Re: negative comments about Joe's customer service - My experience was exactly the opposite. Prompt, helpful, and patient with my "senioritis." Gold standard customer service in my book! Read all the reviews here and consider how many are "0" - then form your own opinion of what may have happened!

de AI4LG - Rick

OZ1GCT Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2008 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used it for more than a year with my FT-1000MP and my laptop. Never had a problem.
Works excellent with all kind of programs. HAM RADIO DE LUXE,DM780,DIGIPAN and MMSSTV etc.

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2008 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Install and forget; very good support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used USB interface with TS-850. Worked fine. Now I use USB interface II with Mark V Field. Everything works: control, CW, PSK, SSTV, RTTY....For comparison, a cheap USB interface from China for ICOM locks on return from hibernation and under QRO.

I had a few questions, nearly always replied in a few hrs by Joe. I had trouble with Vista and Joe encouraged me to upgrade. Then I had problems with sleep, and he got me in touch with a developer. Seems my PC does not have ACPI settings in BIOS. However, hibernation works FB.

I am planning to replace my ICOM interface and
Microham will be my first choice.

AA1BQ Rating: 0/5 Mar 3, 2008 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Really Bad!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well hate to be negative here but others should be aware of potential problems with this interface! For me it has been awful, time consuming, and definately not plug and play! I tryed for 5 days to get this unit to handshake and work with my TS-450s (which does digital fine through rigblaster) but finally gave up and had to unistall all software and disconn unit from radio and pc to get back what i had! The only thing it would do properly was Cat rig control but as far as any digital modes NADA! I tryed at least 5 different digital software programs with little to no help from MICROHAM! When i finally found a path that worked (Digital Master 780) i only got 2 contacts before it hosed up my sound card and pc! (AGAIN MICROHAM NO HELP!)by now i've had enough and have asked for Joe at Microham one last time for help! you can forget that! His customer service is awful! At least 3 to for emails and no help and flip answers don't cut it when you pay $190 for a piecec of gear that doesn't do what its advertised too! As far as any kind of return or refund another hidden item you'll only find this out when you hit order or see your invoice come with item!, there isn't any ! you buy it! you own it! and no support to go with it! so here I sit with a piece of useless equipment and out my money! oh happy days! BUYER BEWARE! shop around and check out closely your support first! also look at reviews under microham microkeyer here at eham, i'm not the only one who ran into this type of problem!..AA1BQ

K3YD Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2008 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Problem solver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for at least two years. In that period it has flawlessly integrated a modern (no serial/parallel ports) computer with Telenet, CW/voice keying, and radio control information in a multi-2 station. I never had any glitches or RFI issues; it integrates fully & seamlessly with the N1MM software.
One thing which is not obvious in the ads is the small size of the enclosure. The connector cables actually occupy greater volume than the device.
My frustration at the time of purchase was the lack of documentation; only a CD was included. That made initial configuration and set-up challenging. I recently checked the microHAM website and noted that a very complete manual is now available in PDF.

KC9GGV Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2008 03:22 Send this review to a friend
The Solution To No Serial Ports  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In May 2007 I purchased a new laptop to use for Field Day. I run RTTY as one of the stations for our club. Many of today's laptops do not have any RS-232 serial ports. So I needed an interface for RTTY that would work through USB. I had looked at other USB solutions to run RTTY (FSK) but several only work AFSK. I prefer "true" FSK since you do not have to worry about adjusting sound card levels etc. The only solution I have found are the products produced by Microham. The USB II is their entry level product. It may appear to be a little pricey, but, when you consider what it can do it is fantastic and well worth the cost. They have several other excellent products. The MK2R and MK2R+ are their flagships which allow full dual transceiver SO2R operation, a contester's dream. Recently I had a problem with my USB II interface cable. I contacted Joe Subich, W4TV the U.S. customer service rep and distributor for Microham products. He helped me get everything working again. There was a broken wire in my interface cable. I mailed him the cable and he repaired it. It was out of warranty (60 days on cables) but he did not charge me. Now that's service. Microham interface boxes are warranteed for 3 years. The cables are warranteed to be FREE from defects for 60 days. More manufacturers should give the kind of support Microham provides. Great company with a great product.

K5ZCJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2007 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
MicroHam USB Interface II does just what they say
it will do and does it well. I'm using it to
connect an Icom ProIII to Windows XP & Logger32,
my logging software. It saves me lots of work
keeping track of contacts. It came with all I
needed to make it plug and play. The best part
is Joe Subich, W4TV provides excellant customer
service before and after the sale. Ive owned 2
of MicroHam's interfaces over the last 2 years.

K1SEZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2007 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use and works well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a user of DX Lab's suite of logging programs since January 2007, and decided to join the digital revolution. This microHAM product is perfect, coming with all the cabling needed for my TS-2000. The 3 year old HP PC w/WinXP is working very well with the software provided for microHAM USB Interface II unit...so now I'm perking along with RTTY (FSK), PSK, and even CW. In addition to the rig control, I enlivened the DX Lab "Commander" software for more complete rig control and have discovered a new level of enjoyment of this great hobby!

I highly recommend the microHAM USB Interface II, a real value that works great!