Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | HFProjects Power-Pak Help

Reviews Summary for HFProjects Power-Pak
HFProjects Power-Pak Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$144.00
Description: HF Packer Power-Pak Model 400 12v powerpack/charger
More info: http://www.hfprojects.com

You can write your own review of the HFProjects Power-Pak.

KE5FDO Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2008 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Easy build for a first time kit builder.  Time owned: months
I had never really built any kind of electronic kit but I saw this project last year at HamCom in Texas. Seemed like it might be a good starting place and Virgil was encouraging so I bought it.

At first I was a bit overwhelmed looking at all the parts and frankly didn't think it was something I could build.

It sat in the back of a closet until this morning (10 months later) when I finally said "what the heck". 8 hours later it's running my FT817 and working great. Someone that has any build experience could probably do it in half that time but I was pretty thrilled to get it complete in one day.

Build was straightforward with very good documentation on a CD. Parts were packaged nicely and the sheet metal case is really professional looking. Adjusting the LED to show battery remaining turned out to be a touchy project, the variable resistor is super sensitive to any movement at all so it took me a while to get it right where I wanted it.

I have the 10Ah battery in this one I think it will be a very handy thing to have when I go portable. Nice quality kit and very useful.

N2HTT Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2006 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Easy build - works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are a QRP/portable operator, this is battery power supply of your dreams!

Smart charger operates from just about any ac or dc source > 12v, including solar. It is designed to hold the battery on float charge indefinitely if you leave a current source connected - this is the best way to keep your SLA battery in top form.

You can operate and charge at the same time. I built the 10AH version, also available in 7AH with/without battery.

The unit has a built in state of charge display that shows estimated battery capacity on an LED bar graph. Calibration of the display is a simple DMM voltage measurement.

Very professional metalwork, good looking and sturdy. Connections are provided via Andersen Powerpole connectors - two are provided for battery output. Another pair provide access to a DC-DC converter that accepts 13v in, and provides a regulated output voltage up to 24v. This additional input also powers the charger, allowing you to use a Powerpole connection to another DC source to charge the battery.

Assembly of the board is easy; it has a low parts count and no critically spaced components. Excellent assembly instructions are provided as a downloadable PDF file.

Mechanical assembly was a bit more challenging, but there are excellent resources (including photos) available on the Yahoo builders group that will guide you through battery installation.

This power pack is an excellent companion to an HF Packer amp, and any QRP station. It is now the main supply in use in my low-power home station.

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2006 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy and on spec!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished building the Powerpack and it works just as specified. I adjusted the LED/Capacity pot and the kit was immediately 100% operational. The kit is fine for those less experienced as the instructions are detailed and complete and the complexity is low. You can select either 24v or any other regulated output (12-40v) for the AUX voltage in addition to the two 12v/5a outputs. Go to the website for complete specifications. Very sturdy and professional metalwork, highly recommended!