Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ZARES ZLVHF01 Help

Reviews Summary for ZARES ZLVHF01
ZARES ZLVHF01 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $50
Description: 2m hand held with extended RX
More info: http://www.zares.co.nz

You can write your own review of the ZARES ZLVHF01.

COBRA39 Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2009 00:34 Send this review to a friend
Great wee set  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used my Zares in my boat as a fixed trasciever for the past 2 yrs. Converted it to an external 6db antenna along with an external speaker. It has stood up to untold pounding and the only failure was the electret module in the speaker mic. That was easily fixed. The speaker in the mic is bypassed for the external unit.
Using a base set,Uniden 012, with a 10m mast, I have a range of around 50km. All using 4-5 w output.

ZL1GBB Rating: 3/5 Apr 28, 2009 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the VHF and the UHF versions and am about to buy the FD160 version (same as the FD150/ZLVHF01 but slightly different case) for another project.
These radios may be good value but the will not satisfy anyone wanting an easy operation and good appearance. Display is miniscule and has poor contrast (yes, I am old and blind(nearly) but even so..) with the illumination light only staying on for seconds so it is no help.
Keyboard is fiddly and the buttons have poor feel.
But, they work well as a radio which is why I will be buying others.

ZL4FM Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2008 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased both the Zares VHF and UHF radios over a year ago, and I must say I was impressed. The Receive sensitivity is good across the entire frequency range and the power output is quite flat as well. The only problem with high sensitivity receivers that cover the range that these radios do is that they are prone to intermodulation products in high signal areas. Exactly the same sort of problem I had with my old Icom IC2A, and the Yaesu VX5 that I have tested suffers from as well.
The only thing that would make these radios better would be DTMF on the Keypad.

My Dad ZL4TDB then purchased one of each, and my Mum, ZL4VAB got a VHF one as well.

It was at this point that I said Chris Day, who was selling them, that if he ever decided to give up selling Zares, then I would buy the distributorship from him.
So in July 2008, I did.

73 de Alan
ZL4FM

VK5ZEE Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2007 03:55 Send this review to a friend
Good Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good Radios.
Try their web site for the latest updates for software.

Supports all 99 channels and more.

KC8UIO Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2007 18:31 Send this review to a friend
AKA Feidaxin FD-150A  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As has been mentioned, this radio is manufactured in China as the Feidaxin FD-150A. I have posted a review on the FD-450A, which is the UHF model of this series.

Cheap is good, in my opinion. These radios sell for approximately 60 USD on E-Bay (including shipping). This includes the radio, NiMH battery, charge cradle, and power pack. Be aware that the power pack is 220V, but any power pack that supplies 12 - 15VDC at 100 mA will work. You just have to put the right connector on the supply to fit the cradle.

These (wideband transmit and receive)radios are every bit as good as any Icom HT I have used. The only drawback is that the keypad programming is difficult and not intuitive. The manual is trash (written in Chinglish).

Programming these radios is simple to do with any computer that has a (9-pin) serial port. The software (free from Feidaxin web-site) is very intuitive. It comes in Chinese or Chinglish. The lay-out and function of the software is obvious. You can read from or write to the radio, making updates simple. You can save the file templates as well.

You can buy a cable off E-Bay for about 8 USD, and a software mini-disk comes with it (usually). Many other (cheap) accessories are also available.

Hope this helps,
Wayne P. Muckleroy
(KC8UIO)

W9RNA Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2007 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Very Good for the Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the vhf radio for my xyl and myself. After reading the reviews writen hear. I called Chris and was very please with the fine service I got from him.

After getting the correct exchange rate for the radios and shipping. Chris sent the radios air mail. I got them here in about 4days.

I have been very happy with the audio . Both on tx and rx. The radios are very easy to set up. And they preform just as they should. I can get into all of the local and some far away repeaters . With the rubber antenna.

If you are looking for a good radio that is easy to set up. And work the way they are suppose to. Then this is the radio for you.

I have been a ham for almost 30years, and have used all of the major brands out there. And it is nice to find a simple radio . That you do not need a masters degree to program. Then these are the radios for you. If you need all the fancy things. Then get one of the more expense rigs out there.

But if you sre looking for a cheap radio. That is a plain radio. Then this is for you.

73's , Bob W9RNA

NO6E Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2006 21:04 Send this review to a friend
An excellent value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a VHF-01 and a UHF-02 from
Chris Day at ZARES. These radios are remarkable
values. Chris figured out the exchange and
such, so I didn't need to worry about it. I
ended up paying $132, including shipping, for
both radios!

The radio is sold elsewhere under the FTDI
name, and is built by Quanzhou Licheng Feidexin
Electronics. Chris serial numbers and tests
each radio, and he stands behind his products.
The radios were well-packed and arrived
in California from New Zealand in a very
few days.

My VHF-01 (SN 2726) gets used for both TX and
RX. The receiver and transmitter both cover
wide frequency ranges, but the transmitter is
NOT type-accepted in the U.S. for use outside
the two-meter ham band.

Audio quality, transmit and receive is very good.
The speaker is plenty loud.

Programming the radio is easy. As noted, the
scanning capabilities are rudimentary. The
scan rate is very slow, but I believe that's
a product of the need to decode CTCSS.

For me, it was refreshing to be able to download
a full schematic of the radio and beautiful
x-ray PCB views from the ZARES website. Hams
who still love to tinker will enjoy this
radio.

The front-panel keypad is used for programming,
and does not support DTMF.

The ZARES VHF01 is, by far, the best new-in-box
$66 transceiver I have ever owned! For what
it is, it represents an excellent value.

ZL2BK Rating: 4/5 Nov 8, 2006 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Agree with previous reviewers. This is great value here in New Zealand. I would like to add the receive audio is the loudest I have heard from any modern handheld! The frequency response might be tailored to suit but it is very loud for the size, and very clear.
Only downside is the basic programming software and lack of DTMF.
The UHF version is very similar and I rate it the same.
Recommended.

ZL2UGR Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2006 00:15 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

ZARES ZLVHF01 also know as the FD-150A from FeiDaxin. See:

A basic VHF handie that appears to be designed primarily for the commercial market. Some good commercial features such as the channelised frequency display option and an impressive amount of CTCSS and DCS squelch codes for private channel use; however none of that necessarily appeals to the Ham market.

One feature that is often desired and present on most Ham handies utilizing a keyboard is the ability to send DTMF tones. Unfortunately the ZARES ZLVHF01/FD-150A does not. The radio has 16 keys on the keyboard so the designers may wish to include a DTMF feature in the next model. (Have a look at the FD-160A model keyboard, are those DTMF key markings?)

The ZARES radio performs reasonably well. Transmit power is as expected and can be varied between 1 and about 4 Watts. As with most hand held radios, the selectivity and adjacent channel performance is not the best with occasional burst of 159MHz paging data appearing at unexpected times. Transmit audio was acceptable on the external speaker/microphone but appeared muffled on the internal microphone. A quick twist of the drill to increase the size of the microphone hole on the front of the radio case fixed that. A 0.5mm drill bit will do, just make sure you only drill about 3mm deep into the case and no more!

Why did I buy mine? I like the idea of a cheap VHF Marine radio that will also perform well on the 2Meter Ham frequencies for those times when the fish just arenít biting. Itís not financial ruin if this handie goes over the side by accident. Yes, these units will operate between 137~174MHz. Buy the programming cable and download the software from the Feidaxin web site to make the job of entering the 99 frequency pairs somewhat more manageable.

Note to the uninformed; these radios are being offered ex Hong Kong on Ebay for next to nothing. Be aware that you will be stung an exorbitant shipping and insurance fee. The ZARES model at NZ$85 + $5 shipping (~US$55) is a very reasonable price to pay in New Zealand. ZARES model does not include a mains plug-pack but is supplied with a cigarette lighter cord instead.

Would I buy again? At that price, absolutely!

W9ZRO Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2006 12:15 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
will, I have nevar did a review before so bear with me. these little radios are great as I have two
they put out about 4.5 watts which is good power for a HT. they are pretty rugged and I only have two cons of the radio. no scan lists (all or nothing)and no alpha tags and with 99 memories this can get confusing.