Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Knight Kit T 60 Help

Reviews Summary for Knight Kit T 60
Knight Kit T 60 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $69.95 in 1966
Description: 80 - 6 meter xtal controlled Novice xmtr. 60 watts from 6DQ6B sweep tube. Has low level carrier controlled AM phone capabilities as well.

You can write your own review of the Knight Kit T 60.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2008 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Me First  Time owned: more than 12 months
We always have a special place for "Our First" .... built mine in mid-60's and great CW transmitter and when I upgraded to General always got good audio reports....Unfortunately, SSB was making its way on phone so there weren't too many hams that would talk to me on phone........so.....upgraded to HW-100

Cheers All

W8ASA Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2008 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built a T60 from a kit I received for Christmas in 1963. I used the T60 first in Germany as DL4WU, and worked CW as well as AM, having tons of fun, and even working JY1 with it.

When I moved back to the States in early 1965 (to Denver), I was in time for some really outlandish skip work on 6 meters, managing to work all 50 states and a few foreign countries on 6 between January 65 and June 66, using a halo on top of my garage roof. We measured 1.25 Watts output on 6 -- amazing inefficiency due to the final acting as a doubler as well. I never had a VFO to use with it, but had a huge assortment of xtals. The CW signal was pure with no chirp or click at all. AM was a "little" weak, but on 6 people said I had good audio.

In short, I have many, many fond memories of my T60.

KG6AF Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2007 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Good Novice transmitter of old  Time owned: more than 12 months
This thoroughly decent rig served yeoman's duty in my mid-60's Novice shack. It was simple enough to be assembled by a 14-year-old, rugged enough to withstand mistuning by a radio newcomer, and it put out a decent signal.

I'm told that the screen-modulated AM was pretty weak, but having never used the AM myself, I can't say. Nor can I vouch for its ability to transmit on 6 meters. But as a crystal-controlled CW transmitter on 80 and 40, it was just fine.

N4QA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2006 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Needs a little help on 10 & 6  Time owned: more than 12 months
More than you ever wanted to know about using a T-60, no doubt...

Haven't actually been inside the T-60 I now have but suspect that the tubes are a little soft.
On CW, I'm getting the following output power:
80-10m about 20 watts.
6m about 3 watts.

On 80 & 40m, fundamental xtals/vfo are used.

On 20m, 7 MHz xtals/vfo are doubled in the pentode section of the 6HF8.

On 15 meters 7 MHz xtals/vfo are tripled in the pentode section of the 6HF8.

On 10 meters, 7 MHz xtals/vfo are quadrupled in the pentode section of the 6HF8.

On 6 meters 8.333...MHz xtals/vfo are tripled in the pentode section of the 6HF8.

The 6DQ6B (tv sweep tube) final amplifier works 'straight through' on 80-10 meters, but doubles the output freq of the pentode section of the 6HF8 on 6 meters.

The triode section of the 6HF8 acts as either a xtal oscillator or vfo amplifier, as desired.

The help I mentioned in the summary has to do with subharmonic energy appearing at the T-60's SO-239 coaxial output socket.
It's not so bad on 80-15m, but, on 10 & 6 meters, it is quite noticeable, even on a conventional oscilloscope, although it would more easily be quantified using a spectrum analyzer.

*So*, on 10 meters, I place an ICE model 411 bandpass filter between the T-60's output socket and my antenna tuner (Icom AH-4). And, on 6 meters, I use the ICE model 412 bandpass filter.
These bpfs stop subharmonics and harmonics cold.

Also own ICE bpfs for 80, 40, 20 and 15 meters, but, use them mostly with the Meissner Signal Shifter, model EX.

An additional benefit of these bpfs is that they also work great with *receivers* of less than decent selectivity, especially when they are used with larger antennas, such as my 80m endfed wire.

I enjoy the Knight-kit T-60 even more these days than I did as a Novice in '65/66 !

72.
Bill, N4QA

K7UA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2006 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Great value in 1962  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a T60 right after my novice year. That would have been 1962-1963. I was a new general class and finally got to go on 20m with a VFO! I had a lot of fun with that T60 and a Lafayette VFO. It did work on AM phone. At least sort of. The controled carrier modulation was kind of frowned on by serious AM stations. I even worked some e layer skip on 6 meters with it. On six the final amp was used as a doubler. Not really a great idea. If you didn't get it tuned correctly you had output on 25 MHZ instead of 50 MHZ. The SWR on a 6M antenna always warned you off of that situation! I sold my T60 to a new novice. I wish I still had it.

N4QA Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2006 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Still using a T-60 !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm still occasionally using the T-60 on 80 - 6 meters. Sometimes use a crystal from my box o' rocks. Increasingly, though, using the NorCal FCC-2 DDS VFO, with a homebrew isolating and impedance-matching toroidal rf transformer, for the T-60's freq control.
Built a T-60 in the latter part of my (one year) Novice term in 1966. Worked the world on 80, 40 and 15 meters with it back then.
The T-60 *never* sounded as good as it does today!

N1MG Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2006 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Novice Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
For those on a tight budget in the mid 60s through early 70s, the T60 put out a solid enough CW signal to bring in the QSOs even with poor antennas. It is a basic rig to be sure, but gave a good account of itself in spite of its modest size.