Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Faros 1.0 Help

Reviews Summary for Faros 1.0
Reviews: 11 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$25 shareware
Description: IARU/NCDXF International Beacon monitoring software
More info: http://www.dxatlas.com/Faros/.

You can write your own review of the Faros 1.0.

KJ4FZ Rating: 2/5 Jul 8, 2017 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't Like RigBlaster  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like Afreet software and use DX Atlas, Band Master, and IonoProbe. I had a problem with Faros. It doesn't like Rigblaster. Set-up was quick and easy with the rig control and time syncing but I could never get it to work with RigBlaster. Do not buy this software without testing during a 30-day trial.

N4SRN Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2015 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Windows App!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sets up and runs fine under Win 7(64) with my SignaLink USB and FT-897D. A great way to assess propagation as well how different antennas are receiving beacons. The author is very responsive for support.

DL4ZAB Rating: 2/5 Nov 8, 2014 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Good, when usable undef Win 8.1  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Unfortunately I got Error messages under Win 8.1: "Floating Point Division Error" and this causes the need for rebooting the PC.

When will there an Update, making it a fantastic program?

AH6OY Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2011 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
Program is great. Problem I have seen is the beacons aren't all putting out the same audio freq. I've even heard some beacons off the waterfall screen at times. Maybe a little wider on the detection or dividing its time in nano seconds at different audio freqs to hopefully detect a beacon if it is off. I am pretty sure all the beacon radios are showing the same freqs for 14.100 but I am also sure they aren't all putting the same audio tone out and at the same offset.

The time interval setting are great but once again some of those beacons at times go out of their slots. At least I doubt it's multi-pathing with the current solar conditions hi hi. Just today I was listening to the tail end of one and another cut in.

I give the program great marks. The beacon operators I'd have to give world wide vacations to make sure they have all the beacons spot on.

It would also help if the openings weren't for less than a minute.

Great program.

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2008 12:58 Send this review to a friend
No issues from my side  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works well and does what is supposed to do. had a problem some weeks ago with the "grey out" issue from another poster, but no problems. I just recycled the program. I have found that leaving the program on and if the computer goes into hybernation, the computer will not wake up. Took that out of the "properties."

K6JEB Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2007 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Real time Beacon Prop from YOUR Location  Time owned: more than 12 months
WHat a novel idea! This takes all the beacon programs one step further and actually analyzes the received signal at YOUR QTH on YOUR antenna and rig.

That's the data that matters!

It would be great if it could time sync via WWV or something on the air for when you're not connected to the Internet. I have actually used this program portable with no issues. I just time sync-ed it manually using WWV.

The interface is brilliantly thought-out and it is a nice addition to a shack.

I'd love to see this software ported to Mac OS X and even Linux.

KI4QCS Rating: 2/5 Mar 2, 2007 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Not compatible with USB sound card  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Be careful and test with your sound card before buying!

I have found it not to be compatible with my USB MicroHAM Digi Keyer which has a built in sound card.

ON5AU Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2007 15:22 Send this review to a friend
The best beacon monitoring program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the program from its first release and never encountered any problem. I have tested it with 3 differend rigs and no problems at all. You are able to see my on-line monitoring by Faros at my homepage. But you need a fast internet connection and a PC of at least 1 giga.
It was the monitoring program I was waiting for.

WA9ZOH Rating: 2/5 Jul 22, 2006 22:19 Send this review to a friend
Partically Useful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After numerous Emails to the developer, I just deleated it from my computer. I was using it with my Yaesu 1000MP MarkV, I sent in the $25. fee for use of the software hoping that would enable the CAT feature to work with my rig...but with no success. I downloaded the latest version of everything the developer suggested, but still the software would not change the Frequency via the CAT control interface on my rig. BeaconSee changes it without any problems as well as Logic6. I put a LED device in the CAT interface cable to make sure data was entering the rig and from what I could determine, as compared to the other two softwares I mentioned, it looks like a problem with the duration that the rig is in the CAT mode when data is sent.

W7CNK Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2006 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Outstanding software package. Makes following HF propagation really fun. Very intuitive to setup and use. With the addition of OmniRig there is a host of CAT control radios supported. Well done Alex!