Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | CG-3000 Automatic Antenna Tuner 10 - 200 WATT .PEP Help

Reviews Summary for CG-3000 Automatic Antenna Tuner 10 - 200 WATT .PEP
CG-3000 Automatic Antenna Tuner  10 -  200 WATT .PEP Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$320
Description: CG3000 Automatic Antenna Tuner. Covers all HAM bands from 1.8- 30 Mhz Continuously. It can fit long wire, mobile whip, vertical antenna, dipole antenna(without balun), etc.
More info: http://www.cgantenna.com

You can write your own review of the CG-3000 Automatic Antenna Tuner 10 - 200 WATT .PEP.

KD5FX Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2010 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Working great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my CG-3000 for about a year now. It's mounted just under the eve of my house. A short wire runs to the metal rain gutter and a longer wire runs down the wall and is connected to an 8 ft ground rod which has two radials connected to it. I don't have room for any more than that, very small yard. The rain gutter is new and hopefully well connected all around the house, a total of 210 ft. It's also isolated from ground and the house. No wood, the gutter is connected to this 'board' that's made of mostly concrete! That's what they use down here in the Houston area because termites don't like concrete! ha!
It tunes up all bands 80 thru 10 meters just fine. First time on each band takes about 5 secs and then a split second after that. Seems to work pretty well, I've worked all over the USA and several DX stations with it so far.
I also tried it with a random length wire for about a week, wire was about 70 ft long and mounted to the top of my wooden fence. It tuned up fine on 80 thru 10 but didn't pull in the signals quite as well as the rain gutter. So I took down the wire and hooked up the gutter again. I've even been on the air during a rain storm with the gutters full! Couldn't really tell any difference.
73, Dave KD5fx

GM4WCE Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2010 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Fit and forget ATU  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I fitted the ATU in my garden shed at the feedpoint of my end fed wire of around 115 feet in length. The earth system is a couple of hundred feet of wire buried under the lawn. The shed is about 50 feet away from the house so I fed 12v from the shack power supply through a buried spare run of RG58 coax which runs alongside the feeder running underground from the house to the shed. The ATU tunes very quickly when I change bands and only needs a touch on the key to retune as I change bands. I use it on 160 to 15m with absolutely no problems at all. Signal reports are good. So this really is a fit and forget item as it just gets on with the job with no fuss.

G4VVQ Rating: 3/5 May 30, 2010 02:27 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job in the end.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all i have just bought one of these tuners, by what i have heard it's not as good as the Smart Tuner, i had big problems tuning it to 160 meters, loads of phone calls and emails, my Antenna was 150 feet long end fed, my Earth is a copper tank buried under ground, i could get it to match on all bands except 160 meters, on there it just kept clattering and banging forever, i tried everything that people told me to do, it would not tune, i had Earth, Counterpoise, end fed Antenna, power supply, everything...it says to avoid half waves, someone told me to wind a coil and put on the long wire at tuner end, well that cured it up to a point, but didn't fancy having coils on there, so i put an MFJ analizer from Earth/Counterpoise to aerial, and found a dip around 1.7 mhz.
So in desperation i cut about 20 feet of the wire antenna and it all worked ok, but you shouldn't have to do that, it should match any length over 8 meters, so i couldn't really avoid half waves on 40 and 80 mts, but still works on those bands, in fact it tunes from 10 to 160 now, another niggling thing is sometimes when your talking on SSB the tuner decides to re-calibrate and with the tuner in the shack all that clattering when your talking is a bit off putting...so i give it 3 out of 5 just to be sociable hi..but not entirely happy with it, but i am getting good reports with it, and it recieves well too, i emailed the Chinese Guy and he admitted you might not be able to tune it on 160 mts without some extra inductance or capacitance or both hi...
..Fred in England, Near London. G4VVQ.

ON7RU Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2010 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Great unit, even on 160m  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
CG-3000

Used this tuner the first time when I was on holiday in LX. During four days I managed to log over 600 stations including a lot of DX. The antenna was a 43 feet cupper wire, fixed to a 43 feet fishing rod. I was impressed but instead of writing a honeymoon review I gave it another try during the 160M WW CW contest. Used the same fishing rod, but used 90 feet of wire in a inverted-L combination. Radials used where 3x60feet and 5x30 feet. As a rookie on 160m the 0 on my DXCC table is replaced by 47, managed to work 10 states , Canada and logged over 300 QSOs.using 100W.

I recommend this unit to everyone, if you have questions feel free to mail me.

Read my 160m story and find some picutures on my blog:
and

Frank, ON7RU

ON4BEM Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2010 10:38 Send this review to a friend
flexible  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
flexible tuner!

I've instaled the tuner at 1m above ground in an inverted plastic trash for protection.
I connected a 25m wire delta loop on both hot and cold connections on the cg-3000 (closed circuit) to avoid the use of radials/ground.
The loop is vertically placed around a tree of +-10m high.
Tuning can be done from 80m to 6m. 160m cannot be tunned probably due to the loop diameter that should be higher

(-)
documentation:
As exaplained in previous reviews, doc is poor.
I'm using SGC-230 documentation instead ;-) Both devices seem to be similar.

(+)
very flexible, robust, easy and invisible
Support: I asked support to confirm I can short circuit the tuner (see closed circuit setup above) and they answered in 3 days - from china and in english.
The tuning procedure takes place at the antenna, not in the shack.

Other:
-Some people mentionned a wrong connection in the tuner for the + and - of the power cable. Mine was ok (I checked inside and controlled all wires).
-using the optional remote control unit is a plus: you can remotely reset the tuner to decrease swr. The tuner will work correctly without resetting but swr can be decreased if you tune on the frequency you want to use.

great device!
Manu
ON4BEM

SV2HWR Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2010 13:08 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the CG-3000 6-7 months ago to tune a longwire abt 20m long 6m high and some radials random length. CG-3000 dont need of control cables just 12v power. It tunes VERY fast with SWR below 1.5. The results are pretty good since i have 100+ dxcc's in a 7 months period. It also tunes on 6m. I suggest the cg-3000 to everyone!

G0YAP Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2010 02:03 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had been using a half wave dipole for 80mtrs for years and thinking it was the mutts do-dars on 80. The only problem was it was a mono band antenna. I was speaking to a friend who had one of these CG-3000 tuners and he talked me into buying one. I banged a 3mtr earth rod into the ground with a couple of short radials, mounted the tuner on the wall outside my shack and run 107ft of wire down my garden..WOW! it wiped the floor with the dipole on 80 and works fantastic on the rest. I found it is better on rx, bringing in less noise. I did have to make an 'ugly balun' (10 turns of coax round a plastic tube) because if I just plugged the RG-58 into it, I had RF coming back into the shack and causing problems. The U/Balun sorted that 100%. The tuner it well made, tunes in approx 1 sec and really does the job. The manual is a bit 'Chinesey' but tells you what you need to know. Well worth the money and cheaper than the SGC types. Now operating 160 to 10mtrs.

PA3EQX Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2009 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Great product (manual realy poor)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a fantastic ATU! I've hooked it up to 12 mtr LW and use the central heating as ground. The CG-3000 sits inside, with the antenna fed through the roof-tiles, covered in silicon rubber. Tunes instantly 160-6 mtr and I'm getting great RST reports back from all over Europe and US. Tuning is a song: just give it some 10 Watt 'carrier' and after a few relay clicks the whole band comes to life. The CG-3000 is going to stay!!!
Would have given it a 5/5 but the manual is very poor (no schematics either)

EB3BRJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2009 00:40 Send this review to a friend
Im quite pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I has purchased a Maldol MFB-300II antenna. This antenna has a coil in the base that connects with a 7 meters fiber glass whip through a T SO-239 adapter. I added a 10 meters radial.
I wasnt very pleased with this antenna performance.
Compared with my other vertical antenna (Diamond CP-6) the reception was between 15 and 10 dB lower. However, the whip base is installed about 8 feet lower that the CP-6 base.
However I have to say that the whip is very well made and resistant and has the nice detail that it has a SO-239 connector, that allows the use of the whip only without the coil.
I bought a CG-3000 and installed it on the base of the whip. I left the radial installed.
The difference I have to say it is huge. Now Rx compared to the other vertical antenna is between 12 dB higher that the CP6 in 80 meters and 6 dB higher in 15 meters.
The only problem I found is that in 10 meters I ned to power off the unit for it to be able to properly tune.
The performance is excellent and I strongly recommend this set-up for people with limitations on the type of antenna they can install on QTH.

JR3TVH Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2009 08:07 Send this review to a friend
I felt an exact advantage  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been used many outdoor automatic antenna tuner(ATU) tested in some remote islands, restiricted fields, at apartments balconies for decades,I can mention to this ATU's that has one of the the fastest tuning systems , uses high voltage capacities, relays,coils so this tuner has been given me every high performance in any field in any conditions, and this has accomodated itself even to resonate the required f0. I and my friends feel that CG-3000 can respond somewhat wider range of antenna's impedance.