Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | N8LP/TelePost Inc.- LP-100/A Digital Vector Wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for N8LP/TelePost Inc.- LP-100/A Digital Vector Wattmeter
N8LP/TelePost Inc.- LP-100/A Digital Vector Wattmeter Reviews: 154 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $435.
Description: LP-100A Digital Vector wattmeter with complex impedance display (R+jX) / autoranging 50mW to 3KW (5 & 10KW options) / bright, fast Graphic VFD display / simultaneous display of POWER and SWR (or REF PWR) in numerical & bargraph form. Additional displays for dBm, RL, compression & calibrated field strength in dBm. Automatic band-by-band power correction with built-in frequency counter / peak hold mode / flash upgradeable firmware / serial interface / free control, monitoring and plotting software / SWR alarm / NIST traceable calibration / much more.
More info: http://www.telepostinc.com/

You can write your own review of the N8LP/TelePost Inc.- LP-100/A Digital Vector Wattmeter.

AB3IY Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
fantastic   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Meter is awesome, customer service is top notch, shipping is fast, meter is accurate. What more could you want in a digital wattmeter. Thanks Larry.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2014 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Superb wattmeter!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my LP-100/A now for over 7 years and it has performed superbly during the entire time. I've compared it to a calibrated commercial service monitor and it read within 5% on all ranges. You can't ask for better than that for the price!

Regarding QRPNEW's comments about noise, I tried my Ten-Tec RX-340 receiver using a broadband loop inside the shack which should pick up any hash locally generated, and there was none! It may be possible he was picking up noise from a switching power supply he is using to power it, but there was no noise coming from the LP-100/A between 200 kHz and 30 mHz.

Bill/K1FPV

K5UX Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat in performance and price  Time owned: more than 12 months
The LP100/100A is probably one of only a few devices (that don't cost an arm and a leg) that will let you see and measure that power spike many of the DSP-based rigs are plagued with. I've owned mine for over 4 years and experienced one minor problem that Larry quickly fixed by sending me a part at no cost. Considering the age of my unit, I expected either a charge for the part or postage. His technical support is excellent and his product line is outstanding.

KA9O Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Perfect piece of ham radio gear  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simply the BEST. You will not be disappointed in any way.
Thanks Larry.

VK3CWB Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2014 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Every ham shack need one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this unit for short while now, and I can verify that I have absolutely no hash on the 160mx band! (Or any other band for that fact.) I am in a very low noise environment and my unit is perfectly "clean." The unit works as per specs and the display is bright, vivid and easy to read!

I am taken by how accurate it is. When the unit arrived some commercial radio techs put it through its paces and found that it is as accurate as their much more expensive many thousand dollar commercial units. In this regard, it made redundant all my other RF Power / SWR units that I thought were "accurate"! I am now going to use the LP 100A to calibrate those!

It has an extrememely fast response time, and it has numerous applications which are best read on the website. You will be amazed at what it is capable of providing for the every day ham.

This is an amazing piece of equipment. Using this, feels like I have come out of the dark ages with my old presumably "accurate" analogue meters. In this modern day and age, every ham shack ought to have one! Outstanding. Thanks Larry!

Maurie
VK3CWB

QRPNEW Rating: 3/5 Mar 9, 2014 04:04 Send this review to a friend
RF hash Ruins performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am happy overall with the LP100's. I own 2 of the LP100's The feature set is excellent and goes beyond what is expected from a watt-meter.
No much can be expected since the unit covers all bases.

The main problem that I have with these units is the amount of radiated hash that comes from these units. On 160 meters my noise floor jumps by 10db on my Elecraft K3/P3 panadapter its that bad. I pulled my hair out, and I also pulled the whole station apart trying to find this noise. I just never expected it to be the LP100. I changed cables, tried ferrite, separate power supply etc etc, Still no luck.

I am in an extremely low noise location. The average ham station would never ever hear the noise because the noise level is so high on 160 meters. I asked my buddy to check his LP100 on 160 meters and he could not hear any hash. His noise level was S7 to S8 on 160 meters no surprises there.

I am disappointed that this issue has not been discovered by the designer. So while I operate on 160 meters I cant use the LP100. Its back to the old gold standard the Bird 43. I will be trying to grind some of the paint off the case and maybe putting some foil shield inside to try and get rid of the 160 meter hash.

I am really disappointed about this fault in the Lp100's design. RF noise is an everyday battle, generally its not ham equipment that causes RF hash and birdies.

WA6QGH Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Best Choice for HF SWR/Wattmeter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased and received LP-100A about 2 months ago. Overall I am pleased with unit's performance. I used LP-100 Plot software and plotted out SWR on different band. I ran some tests comparing it to my Array Solution Power Master and Wave Node WN-2 Watt meters. I noticed at 50 & 100 watts into 50 ohm dummy load, LP-100A and other Watt meters read about the same on key down CW with other two Watt meters reading slightly less than LP-100A. But when I turned on Tokyo Hy-Power amplifier on line, then I noted a difference when running higher power. I have results saved in excel if anyone is interested. I tend to conclude at the higher power levels, the LP-100A is more accurate than Power Master or Wave Node WN-2. The only advantage on Power Master is font size of readout is slightly larger than LP-100A. For the Wave node WN-2 it's advantage is you can have up to 4 couplers (I have 3 couplers) and watt meter can measure up 1.3 GHZ. Again overall I think the LP-100A may be more accurate than the other two Watt meters. Larry provided excellent support for any issues or questions I had regarding the wattmeter and software.

NA6D Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2014 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent SWR/Wattmeter and a lot more!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the LP100A for a couple of years. There are many reviews that extol the virtues of this unit, so any comments I make would be redundant. With that said, this is one piece of equipment that I will NEVER part with. The price point is a bit steep, but what you get is worth every penny. The unit has a whole lot more capabilities than just a Wattmeter/SWR meter. I continue to be amazed at how well it works. If you think you can't afford it, save up and put it on your "bucket list." It reads peaks lightning fast. You will not be disappointed in any way.

KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2014 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Perfection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What more can I say . the Best I have ever used !!...you will be happy with this unit. !!
Great for QRO to QRP......WOW....!QUALITY and OH so Much MORE........ Thank you Larry.

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2014 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Best choice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I did a lot of research on multifunction watt/SWR meters before settling on the LP-100A. The decision was not easy because I only knew of one nearby ham who owned one of the candidates, so the selection was very much related to specifications and claimed capabilities. Finally I decided that from prior experience with some of N8LP's products, odds were good that I'd be happy with the LP-100A. For once I was correct... The product does everything exactly as advertised, and I did my very best to determine that every measurement is accurate. It's very accurate indeed. And FAST. I can capture RF transients from radio equipment with ease. I can't gripe about anything it does.

One remark which doesn't reflect at all on the LP-100a performance: As I am involved in assembling and building an EME station, I would surely like to see a high power VHF/UHF coupler model coming out...