Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | Trimble Placer 450 / 455 Help

Reviews Summary for Trimble Placer 450 / 455
Trimble Placer 450 / 455 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $on eBay for $100-130
Description: A ruggedized, multi-port GPS designed for in-vehicle installations.
More info: http://www.trimble.com/placer450455.html

You can write your own review of the Trimble Placer 450 / 455.

KC4KPJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2010 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Quick position acquisition  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Placer 450 is a fantastic unit! I have several of them and use them mainly to feed my Uniden scanners and Delorme Street Atlas software. The Placers acquire location within 10 seconds of starting my vehicles which is 10 times faster than previous Trimble units I have used.

The 450 setup is quick and easy using the Trimble software that I was able to find on the web, and has flexible options for using NMEA or TAIP outputs. The software easily synchonizes your computer's time with the GPS reference.

I would recommend these units for anyone requiring a serial output GPS for mapping, scanning, or APRS....I have tried the 450 for all.

KD4MOJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2007 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Greate for APRS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Although I use these at my workplace using the TAIP format, Chris configured both ports for NMEA and it works with APRS like a champ! Great GPS for APRS work. Fully programmable!

N7DPX Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2006 20:52 Send this review to a friend
VEY NICE PLUG & PLAY UNIT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased my Trimble Placer 450 unit from
Chris Verbil, N5CV.I have never had anything so easy to install and use ! It is truley Plug and Play.I am using it with Delorme Street Atlas 2006 and Delorme Topo 2006.I installed mine under the drivers seat of my 1995 Tahoe.Then I hooked up the needed wiring and the serial cable and the antenna(which was included with the 450 unit)powered up the 450 unit turned on the computer opened the Delorme Street program set the baud rate(4800)hit the start GPS and within 20 seconds it was tracking in 3d mode.I would say for the money(GREAT PRICE)this unit is worth having one or two extra!
I did have a question at first and I emailed Chris and with in a hour I had a reply.Chris has a VERY good knowledge of these units and is also easy to deal with.
To sum it up I plan on getting another one of these units to install in the YL'S truck real soon.
Thanks Cris for your help and fast replys to my emails!!!!!!!!!

Steve / N7DPX