Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Yaesu ATAS-120A Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu ATAS-120A
Yaesu ATAS-120A Reviews: 112 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $369.00
Description: The ATAS-120A is the upgraded, more weather resistant version of the ATAS-120. Leave comments only on the ATAS-120 "A"!

You can write your own review of the Yaesu ATAS-120A.

VK2LEE Rating: 0/5 Mar 15, 2018 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Cannot get working correctly  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this antenna for about 6 months along with an FT-857D and although I have only had it on the car about 3 times, I cannot get the antenna to tune on 40 meters using the auto tune. It is mounted on My bonnet and I have used braid to earth out the bonnet and base of antenna. I will admit I have not checked out the earth with a multimeter, so that is what I will do next. I was going to fit a longer stainless steel whip to the antenna.. I will admit that it has received strong stations on 40m at times. I haven't had a contact on it as it..
KC2GUY Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2018 14:41 Send this review to a friend
COMPACT MOBILE ANTENNA WITH A KICK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When i first set-up the 120A with a Yaesu 891, it was difficult to tune. I manually tuned it from the setting in the radio that raises and lowers the antenna. Then, I bonded the hood of my Jeep to the rest of the body and frame. From there on, the Yaesu tuned automatically, and perfectly. Make sure you enable ATAS in the menu. This radio, and antenna are a good match. Contacts are easy into The USA, Europe and RUSSIA ! Even VK land and South Africa, at times. I will continue bonding the exhaust system and parts of the frame, as recommended.

I have both my Yaesu 400 and 891 mounted on LIDO Mounts, which work for me and my warden. A beautiful set-up.

The antenna stands on a diamond mount that was modified to a custom block of aluminum. It then bolts into the roof rack bolt to secure the antenna. High roof mounting is important for any mobile antenna.

The Yaesu 120A compares well to my previous antenna, a Tarheel 75 Stubby, but you have to give up 80m for this antenna. There is plenty of fun ahead for this set-up. It's perfect for me.
Thank you Yaesu !
WA7NTL Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2018 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Non-mobile Evaluation  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I originally purchased this antenna to use with my FT-857D mobile in my pickup. $400due to a property purchase I wound up using it in a recreational trailer with a metal snow roof. This is review is based upon this fixed location. As are retired engineer, I can say that producing a mobile antenna with moving internal components which is exposed to the physical stresses of wind and weather, and be robust enough to provide years of service under $400 would be very challenging design criteria indeed. I have to concur with others that a sound ground is paramount. For mobile operation, the ground must be solid from your antenna mount to the battery. This would require refurbishing the ground straps to the frame. Without such ground integrity, the resulting various impedances will stymie the tuning process. Having a metal snow roof provides a magnificent ground plane. I also have the rig and snow roof connected to a copper ground rod driven into the ground. It loads up on flawlessly on 40 meters through 70cm. Despite the not so good band conditions, I get 5-7 to 5-8 signal reports from Europe. For a portable set up, it's very streamlined and being able to load up on so many bands is a big plus. Once spring gets here, I'll continue with the truck installation and provide a follow up review on my mobile experience.
2M0LDT Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2017 17:50 Send this review to a friend
better than some say  Time owned: more than 12 months
i suspect the poor reviews are due to not having a good enough earth .. ive been through that, thought it was crap, THEN i got a nice chunky earth strap and it works a treat every time.. 1 star knocked off as it would be nice if it did 80M and its kinda expensive
ive owned this for over 2 years and use with an 857, on HF and 6 but uhf / vhf is possible with a duplexer, but i prefer a separate antenna for that.
VK3FOAC Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2017 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Great resonant antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If youíre looking for the magical antenna which will work 100% out of the box, this is not the antenna for you.

If youíre looking for a great auto tuned vertical antenna for 40m - 70cm, and are prepared to get your grounding or counterpoise right, this is for you.

Iíve installed this antenna at my QTH. I have limits on height and size of antennas. It sits on top of a 2 inch mast 4 meters off the ground. Iíve attached counterpoise wires for HF, Cut to 1/4 wavelength and I can not fault the results Iím getting. Itís resonant it gets out well with 10w. I am very happy with what I have now. It is outperforming a 4:1 OCF I had. My issue with the OCF was not enough height.

Contemplating a second one for mobile operation.
ON4XA Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2017 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Now perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all, after my review of Oct 30, 2011; probably my antennas has some manufacture problems. So, after a year it was totally out of service. I contacted Yaes, explaining the problem, and I could buy a new one with a nice discount. I use this new antenna since mid 2012 without any problem. Antenna works great. Little ugly because I glued water repellent paste up and down the antenna and silicone on the screws and stinger areas, and no water problem anymore. Antenna resist 150Km/h on diamond magnet tripod and can be tuned when driving. Vy 73
XE1TRY Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2016 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna when properly grounded  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great antenna.

- A great match for the FT857D for mobile operation.
- Very easy to use while driving, tunes at the touch of a button from the radio.
- All power and control is done via the same coax feed line.
- Overall great performance for a mobile antenna.

- Requires great grounding.
- Al coax connectors need to be VERY tight or the antenna will not move, this is a constant complain from some users reporting their antennas not moving at all... tighten the coax connectors and the antennas will move.
KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2016 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Works Great, Easy Operation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good antenna ! Have this mounted on the roof rail of a Honda Pilot using a Diamond K-550L clamp-on mount. (L=larger... the size of the roof rail is considerable larger than many other cars' rails). Took time to make a short braided ground cable going from the mount (between the SO-239 mount and the bottom of the hole it fits through on the 550L) and then direct to a large bolt which held the lift gate arm to the body of the car. Total length of the 1 inch braid is about 8 inches in my case. There was bare metal under both ends, which I coated with No-OX and tightened everything down well. The cable from the ATAS-120A ran down inside the lift gate and into the Pilot with a little 'drip loop" to prevent water getting into the car. Once the cable was attached to the FT-891, I ran another short ground strap from the radio's ground screw (not the mount screw) directly to chassis ground. Added a couple of clamp-on RF chokes to the power cable and remote control cables leading from the radio to the control head up front, turned it on and initialized it, and the ATAS-120A has worked perfectly ever since. Great unsolicited signal reports, and works well in rain (the new watertight boot that is provided with the 120A works well). Band conditions have been wayyyy down over the past few months, but I'm very happy with the ATAS-120A and FT-891 combination thus far (and I'm comparing that with my previous antenna, a "Little Tarheel II"). While I know that any short antenna is a compromise, the ATAS-120A doesn't seem to be much of a compromise to my mobile operations thus far. Highly recommended, just remember it loves GOOD GROUNDING. Wax it once before winter. Rinse it off every now and then. You take car of it, it takes care of you ! YMMV
KI7AQJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2016 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Not sure what the problem was, but....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't know why, but I will give this one a 5. I suppose it will counter my bad review. I have to remember it is only a mobile antenna. I have had it apart twice since buying it. There is no weather boot on this one, so I will have to put some silicone where the whip goes in. These do like to get cruddy & corroded inside. It refused to tune, and would just run up or down and give up. I had plenty of counterpoise, but it had come apart inside from vibration, and the ball bearing contacts were rattling around in the housing. I put a tiny dab of the crappiest epoxy I could find on the fiberglass core, after I screwed it back down. I may need to take it apart again, so I used just a dab of some thick Devcon 2 minute epoxy. I fixed that but, no soap. It still would not tune on HF at all. The transceiver is an FT 857D. The control head had an unfortunate encounter with a bucket of water. I cleaned it up, dried it out, and the ATAS 120A has been working as well as it possibly can for what it is. It actually works quite well for a mobile its size. I ran an MFJ analyzer on it, and on HF the SWR is usually no greater than 1.3:1. 1:1 is pretty common. The FT 857 is happy with 1:1.4, so push the "TUNE" button again, for the same or different parts of the same HF band. On VHF/UHF the SWR has peaks of up to 2:1, & drops to 1:1 across the usable bands. It is not a great VHF/UHF or even a super great HF antenna, and the 857D is not really a great receiver either. They are fairly good, but both have some design issues that make you want to slap someone in the accounting and design departments around. It is a pretty good mobile antenna though. It is just not really made for the shock & vibration encountered in severe mobile use. I have used way nicer screwdriver antennae. Once you get the ATAS grounded, fixed, and the ATAS & 857 or 897 talking to each other, they do fairly well. I kind of doubt this antenna will last very long on the road though. I don't know how many more cleanings it can take before the coils get worn down. I will probably shim the core so the wipers roll across a different part of the coil. That sounds like a plan, if it makes it that far. I got it used. The problems were in "both" the ATAS 120A "AND" the FT-857D. Somehow, the FT 857 was just not getting any SWR feedback from the ATAS to know where to stop, AND the ATAS's coil wipers had come loose. Until I fixed both issues, it just refused to work at all. Having taken it apart, the build quality is not that good. The screw holes are misaligned, but not quite enough to be a form of keying it for reassembly. It just comes across as sloppy manufacturing to me. You can force the screws in in 3 positions. Only one is correct, and it does not line up as well as it could or should. I find that rather disappointing in this day of modern precision manufacturing with CNC machines. Having seen what is inside these, and no better than they are put together, I may take a stab at making one of these myself. It sure won't be too hard to improve upon it.
EDATMORSTR Rating: 1/5 Mar 4, 2016 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Not Tuning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Trying to use the 120 with the 857d. Antenna not moving in any direction. In down position and staying there.
Using Breedlove mount, Good solid ground. Had long jumper to put battery voltage at mount from jumper to mount ground reads battery voltage. Have tried to move on bench with 12v with no luck. From what I read on the internet this is typical of this antenna. Should have bought a Tarheel.
Overall a very bad experience with this antenna. Probably end up sending it back to Yasue.