Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ICOM 2K Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM 2K
ICOM 2K Reviews: 38 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,300 (used)
Description: Icom 2 KL HF Amp 10-160/ AT500 Tunner
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/index2.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM 2K.

WZ0CX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still no better HF amp on the market, I regretted selling my 2kl set, lucky to find a brand new one!
Will not sell it for nothing. Solid as a rock and able to deliver the 500w with no problem. Quality, no plastic parts, aluminum front bezel,not like the new amps, plastic and tin!

KE6TDT Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2013 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Great quality - Outstanding   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the IC-2KL amplifier, the 2KLPS power supply, and the AT-500 antenna tuner.

It's now all connected to my (non-pro) ICOM 746.

I never used or owned an amplifier previous to this and came across this excellent condition set. Automatic band switching works perfect and they are so well matched. Setup was very easy and straightforward. I was a little afraid to initially turn everything on, but was very pleased on how the amp and auto tuner responded

I drive the IC-2KL with approximately 60 watts out from the 746 and the IC-2KL puts out an easy 500+ watts. I could drive it a bit harder, but have no desire to.

I use an HF6V-x Butternut Vertical and the IC-AT500 auto tuner gives me a near perfect 1:1 match.

This entire ICOM system works flawlessly and 500 to 600 watts is all I need.

So far, I am very pleased with this purchase. If I could rate this higher than 5, I would do it.

G3WZD Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2012 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Great piece of kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the IC2KL/AT500 combo since purchasing them new in the 1980s. I used them for many years with the IC751A and most recently with my new TS590S. Aside from a rather noisy cooling fan (easily cured with a couple of very quiet 120mm 12V DC PC fans sitting on the top of the cabinet), it is really hard to fault this combo. Even without the auto-bandswitch you get with the 751A, it takes just a matter of seconds to change bands, and tuning is quick. I have not used this amp on high speed break in CW, confining its use to SSB. I have the ALC set to deliver 400W output from 35W input, and and the 2KL just idles along at this power. My other amp is the nicely engineered Ameritron AL811H which is also set to the same power but, of course, requires manual tuning, hence it is left almost permanently set for 20M. Definite thumbs up for the 2KL/AT500 and a great shame they are no longer in production.

GM0IIO Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2011 05:34 Send this review to a friend
IC-2KL AT-500 Combo  Time owned: more than 12 months
Added this to my 756PRO3 about a year ago. Easy to set up, and works flawlessly. Looks good and get great reports on quality. Hard to get, so if you see one.................73, George GM0IIO/K4IIO

K6JPA Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2011 12:03 Send this review to a friend
A Solid Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two 2KL/AT-500 pairs and both have worked seamlessly with my Icom rigs. Never a single problem. It is a shame they discontinued these. If you find a nice pair, grab 'em.

PY1FR Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2011 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Linear Amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have an IC-2kL + AT-500 working with my IC-756 PRO III. I'm quite happy to use this equipment. I get excellent signal reports. Do not bother to tune the linear or switch bands on the radio Linear Amplifier and antenna tuner.
I strongly recommend purchasing the IC-2KL + AT-500.

DJ0RD Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2011 00:38 Send this review to a friend
Not for the CW HAM  Time owned: more than 12 months
The amp is everything the others say, but they obviously don't operate fast CW. The t/r relay is slow and loud. There is a QSK mod, but you have to install an internal vacuum relay and it's not so simple. QSK is not possible with the stock amplifier, only semi bk-in.

WZ0CX Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful 1/2 kw amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a outstanding amp,have it connected to my back up radio, it is a rock solid 500W++ amp!\
Have not seen a better 500W amp on the market, worth every penny!

G0MMI Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2010 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Great little amp with plenty of punch  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I sold my first IC-2kl and the AT-500 abt 5 years ago. Big mistake! I have now found another line up and run them with my IC-756proIII and they work together very well. No fuss, no tuning and everything follows the rig. Watch out the PSU is heavy. Ideal for the UK limit 0f 400 watts. Fan noisy though. If you see one buy it as they like hens teeth.

ZS6RJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2010 11:06 Send this review to a friend
An absolute gem of a linear  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the reviews here, I've been searching for one of these for over a year down here in South Africa. You think they're hard to find in the States - try Africa!

One finally came up for sale along with the AT500 automatic tuner. I drove 2 400 kilometers in two days to secure this item! I've been using it for a week now with the IC-7600 (old meets new) and I already understand the reason for the glowing reports. Small footprint, flawless fully automatic operation, high level of amplifier protection and simple antenna port changing in the tuner to meet your specific antenna line requirements. Tough enough to run all day every day. Bring it back, Icom!

73 Roger, ZS6RJ