Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ICOM 2K Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM 2K
ICOM 2K Reviews: 41 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,300 (used)
Description: Icom 2 KL HF Amp 10-160/ AT500 Tunner

You can write your own review of the ICOM 2K.

AC5RM Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2015 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Awesome little Amp/tuner combo!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A fairly recent licensee, I realized not long after accomplishing DXCC that I could really use a little extra punch. However, I like to "Hunt and pounce", often on many different bands relatively quickly. Thus, I really didn't want a tube type amp to have to tune...
My elmer had put up a beam, and since the majority of his time is spent on the digital modes, he really wasn't using his IC-2KL/AT500 combo. When I sold one of my project Corvettes and found myself with extra cash, he and I struck a deal.
Now it sits proudly alongside my trusty workhorse, an Icom 746 nonpro, turning it into basically a 500 watt transceiver. No tune, no muss, I just change bands, and along comes the power. The only thing I would change is I'd like to have the 10 meter mod, which has not been done on my amp.
Running it into the hexbeam at 50 feet, I almost feel like a big gun- I don't think there's been a pileup I waded into yet that I couldn't get through, most of the time fairly quickly.
After having this, I don't know that I could ever go with anything that wasn't a solid state. If I ever upgrade powerwise, I'll be saving my pennies for its big brother, the PW-1. Until then though, this little guy has a happy home in my shack. I still don't understand why Icom quit making these. If you find one in good shape, grab it!
VA3UT Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2015 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought an IC-2KL and AT-500 and love it so much. The original fan was a little noisy, so I replaced it with a quieter fan with higher CFM for better cooling. I also performed a full-time low speed fan mod. Ever since this mod is done, the amp runs whisper quiet.

I am using this amp with my IC-746Pro and it works so well and 500W seems plenty of power in most cases, and my Commander HF-2500 is now collecting dust.

The only other thing that I want to do to this amp is QSK mod. This will be the mighty amp in all mode when it is done. I am extremely happy.
K6XN Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2014 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two IC-2KL and AT-500 combinations and both perform flawlessly. The first IC-2KL and AT-500 I acquired 20 years ago and we have used this with out any problems whatsoever in many contests and in chasing a lot of DX. I recently was presented with an opportunity to buy another second setup and I did. Both combinations function flawlessly and we use them for multi-multi contesting up in the Sierra from our contest stations. What wonderful amplifiers! If you find one buy it. You will be happy that you did. 73, Ted, K6XN
WX2CX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still no better HF amp on the market, I regretted selling my 2kl set, lucky to find a brand new one!
Will not sell it for nothing. Solid as a rock and able to deliver the 500w with no problem. Quality, no plastic parts, aluminum front bezel,not like the new amps, plastic and tin!

KE6TDT Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2013 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Great quality - Outstanding   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the IC-2KL amplifier, the 2KLPS power supply, and the AT-500 antenna tuner.

It's now all connected to my (non-pro) ICOM 746.

I never used or owned an amplifier previous to this and came across this excellent condition set. Automatic band switching works perfect and they are so well matched. Setup was very easy and straightforward. I was a little afraid to initially turn everything on, but was very pleased on how the amp and auto tuner responded

I drive the IC-2KL with approximately 60 watts out from the 746 and the IC-2KL puts out an easy 500+ watts. I could drive it a bit harder, but have no desire to.

I use an HF6V-x Butternut Vertical and the IC-AT500 auto tuner gives me a near perfect 1:1 match.

This entire ICOM system works flawlessly and 500 to 600 watts is all I need.

So far, I am very pleased with this purchase. If I could rate this higher than 5, I would do it.
G3WZD Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2012 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Great piece of kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the IC2KL/AT500 combo since purchasing them new in the 1980s. I used them for many years with the IC751A and most recently with my new TS590S. Aside from a rather noisy cooling fan (easily cured with a couple of very quiet 120mm 12V DC PC fans sitting on the top of the cabinet), it is really hard to fault this combo. Even without the auto-bandswitch you get with the 751A, it takes just a matter of seconds to change bands, and tuning is quick. I have not used this amp on high speed break in CW, confining its use to SSB. I have the ALC set to deliver 400W output from 35W input, and and the 2KL just idles along at this power. My other amp is the nicely engineered Ameritron AL811H which is also set to the same power but, of course, requires manual tuning, hence it is left almost permanently set for 20M. Definite thumbs up for the 2KL/AT500 and a great shame they are no longer in production.
GM0IIO Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2011 05:34 Send this review to a friend
IC-2KL AT-500 Combo  Time owned: more than 12 months
Added this to my 756PRO3 about a year ago. Easy to set up, and works flawlessly. Looks good and get great reports on quality. Hard to get, so if you see one.................73, George GM0IIO/K4IIO
K6JPA Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2011 12:03 Send this review to a friend
A Solid Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two 2KL/AT-500 pairs and both have worked seamlessly with my Icom rigs. Never a single problem. It is a shame they discontinued these. If you find a nice pair, grab 'em.
PY1FR Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2011 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Linear Amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have an IC-2kL + AT-500 working with my IC-756 PRO III. I'm quite happy to use this equipment. I get excellent signal reports. Do not bother to tune the linear or switch bands on the radio Linear Amplifier and antenna tuner.
I strongly recommend purchasing the IC-2KL + AT-500.
DJ0RD Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2011 00:38 Send this review to a friend
Not for the CW HAM  Time owned: more than 12 months
The amp is everything the others say, but they obviously don't operate fast CW. The t/r relay is slow and loud. There is a QSK mod, but you have to install an internal vacuum relay and it's not so simple. QSK is not possible with the stock amplifier, only semi bk-in.